All You Need is Love: an offsite, non-Disney PTR (counting down to May 2018)

Hi Gina it was glad to see an update and I love the:cat: with the boxes. I know mine get in to the boxes and distract us when we are trying to do things:P. I saw your itinerary and I think that is exactly what we are going to do next year for my DD's graduation from HS. We loved Discovery Cove but didn't get a chance to take advantage of the other parks last time. I even think we are going to try the Shearaton Vistana Resort.:goodvibes I have only done a time share once in Virginia and once in Mexico. It was very nice but I really struggled with the pressure of the time share presentations. We are't able to purchase one and don't want to do the presentation. I have been reading that these resorts are pretty good if you just say "no thank you". The resort looks very nice and for this type of trip I think it would work well. Any recommendations on the best way to book?

When we bought our house many years ago we went on a vacation that was planned before the house two weeks before moving. It was crazy and so was I. You are doing a great job juggling everything. When we relocate to Florida I am going to have to really plan it well. I feel that will be exciting but over whelming.

Look forward to more updates! I hope everyone following along has a great weekend:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Glad everything seems to be going to plan. Looking forward to a few pictures of the new house :goodvibes

I will definitely post some photos here once we are settled in and the house is tidied to my standards :p. That may take a few weeks, but they'll be available eventually. I also have some great "before" pics that show the house in it's original state (and by original, I mean before the current owners renovated it .... OMG, it had robin egg blue metal cupboards and navy carpet in the kitchen!!! :crazy2:). The transformation is shocking!

Those babies are always so cute! I love that they have a nanny. If feasible, you know I'd come stay with those furry cuties!
Kohls had some cute valentines day towels. They were cat themed and said I'd spend all 9 lives on you.

You sure you don't want to move to Michigan? ;) I'd have you kitty-sit for us in a heartbeat!

Love the kitty pictures! They are so cute

Aw, thank you! :goodvibes

Here's one to make you laugh from the weekend. Dash decided to just "stand" in the middle of the floor as we were watching March Madness. He was completely bewildered as to why we were giggling at his crazy stance.

29342976_10156605875761416_1915958473630606017_n.jpg

Hi Gina!

I have read your last few trip reports, and usually read quite a bit on the disboards, but as I am getting close in days to my own trip, I thought I should finally join in and say hello!

Your trips always seem like such a great mix of splurge and budgeted, new and old- it's always a great read!

Good luck with moving into the new house and hello to the kitties. :wave2:
Thank you! And a big (albeit, belated) :welcome: to the thread!

You mentioned you have a trip coming up fairly soon......what are your dates?

I need to comment again; so it doesn't take me 15 years to find this thread. I can never seem to do so since it got moved to where ever this location is.

Yes, this thread has definitely moved around a lot since it first started in January :crazy2:. Hopefully this is where I stay until May!!

Glad you managed to track us down :goodvibes.

Hi Gina! I'm still not sure if we will be in Orlando that weekend, but I would say the probability is greater than 50 percent. I even made hotel reservations. Since you have resort days on the 5th and 6th, it should be pretty easy to meet. We will most likely be going to Sea World, but I'm thinking of buying Fun Passes, so we will have a lot of flexibility in our park day(s).

Awesome!! With our admission to Discovery Cove, we have unlimited access to SeaWorld (and Aquatica) so if you wanted to meet at the parks, we're up for that too. It's getting so close!!

Hello Gina,

Congrats on the new home. I would be stressed out at thought of moving and planing this trip. You are a pro :worship:. We will be arriving at MCO on the 4th late evening and off to SRV. We are doing a resort day on the 5th after a grocery run. Maybe we will run into you. :dogdance:

I'm not sure if I'm a pro or completely insane (most likely the latter! :rotfl2:) but I'm certainly not bored. Not the best timing we could have picked, but looking on the bright side, we will REALLY appreciate our vacation by the time it rolls around! :rotfl:

Your schedule sounds EXACTLY like ours! Saying hello is completely workable, as we plan to enjoy the resort for most of the day on the 5th. Let me know if you want to exchange cell numbers before we both travel. Do you have any idea what section you might be staying in?

Hi Gina, I have been a silent fan of your since I read your first trip report a few years ago! I am also Canadian, living in Northern Ontario and also travel with my husband to Orlando once a year and don't always partake in the Disney Parks. I have gotten so many great tips from you and love reading about your adventures especially since your move to the "other side of the boarder". What made me finally add a comment is I am just booking an unexpected trip to Orlando in October with my mom and my daughter, who will just have turned 19, and we will be staying at the Sheraton Vistana Resort! So now I am going to reread all your reports with a new perspective! Good luck with your move and your new home looks lovely!

Hi Trish, thank you for the kind compliments!! :goodvibes I am so excited that you will be giving SVR a try in October.....it's such an awesome resort, I think you and your DD will LOVE it! Depending on your dates, our trips might even overlap (as you may have already read, we usually enjoy a week there every autumn as well as in the spring). Definitely let me know when you will be staying there, and if we are in town at the same time, we'll surely make a date to say hello :).

I hope the packing is going well. We're down to 59 days til we arrive in Florida, 57 or 58 until we start the drive.

We just decided to camp for one night in the middle of the trip. We'll be at Fort Wilderness so more like camping probably. We'll be in the middle of our Mariott GRande Vista stay so if it rains we can bail and just stay in the time share that night.

The packing is driving me bonkers, but most things are now boxed or bagged or otherwise ready to be moved. I'll be glad when its all over and a little more 'normalcy' returns to this crazy life :crazy2:.

I can't believe your next trip is roaring up so fast.....it feels like you just got back :laughing:. Will Wonderland Cookie Dough be on this vacation's itinerary as well?

Hi Gina it was glad to see an update and I love the:cat: with the boxes. I know mine get in to the boxes and distract us when we are trying to do things:P. I saw your itinerary and I think that is exactly what we are going to do next year for my DD's graduation from HS. We loved Discovery Cove but didn't get a chance to take advantage of the other parks last time. I even think we are going to try the Shearaton Vistana Resort.:goodvibes I have only done a time share once in Virginia and once in Mexico. It was very nice but I really struggled with the pressure of the time share presentations. We are't able to purchase one and don't want to do the presentation. I have been reading that these resorts are pretty good if you just say "no thank you". The resort looks very nice and for this type of trip I think it would work well. Any recommendations on the best way to book?

When we bought our house many years ago we went on a vacation that was planned before the house two weeks before moving. It was crazy and so was I. You are doing a great job juggling everything. When we relocate to Florida I am going to have to really plan it well. I feel that will be exciting but over whelming.

Look forward to more updates! I hope everyone following along has a great weekend:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Your graduation celebration sounds AMAZING!!! Seaworld and Aquatica are incredible parks and round out Discovery Cove just perfectly, and I think you'll thoroughly enjoy them both (much, much more relaxing and low key than Disney and Universal but jut as fun ::yes::). Definitely don't fret about the timeshare presentations; a "no" at check-in will be all that's necessary and you won't be bothered for the rest of your trip (except for possibly a phone call or message extending the offer one more time during the course of your stay, but we just don't answer the phone so its never an issue). We've actually done the presentation now 3 times, and even its no biggie.....the last time we did it at SVR, we made $125, had breakfast, and were out in 50 minutes. Low key and a decent moneymaker for a day we didn't have any other plans other than chilling at the pools. But they definitely won't give you a hard time if you refuse, nor make you feel bad for saying no. The staff at the Welcome Center are generally pretty great.

I'm actually quite surprised at how calm I've been as this move has raced up on us ..... this is definitely not like me :laughing:. I guess maybe I've learned to adapt over the last 18 months of incredible change. I just keep telling myself, everything will eventually get done.

images

I've got a crazy day (heck, a crazy WEEK! :crazy2:) on deck, but I wanted to at least drop in and let you all know I'm not dead! :blush: (a terrible trip reporter, for sure, but still very much alive :rotfl:)

We officially take possession of our house this afternoon!! :hyper:

77c5c54fbffb698e0c90ac66112cd880.jpg

We will be cleaning and moving some of the small stuff during the week, and our official move date (where all the furniture and big stuff gets relocated) is Friday. Wednesday we have our cable and internet being hooked up, as well as our new furniture and laundry appliances delivered. Thursday we have physicals at our new doctor's office, and Friday night Jake arrives for a visit :banana:.

As far as our Orlando trip is concerned, we are officially 46 days to departure :eek:.

c40d7a7060fb74926c257db982b6ddaf--funny-stuff-funny-things.jpg

Yup, that was pretty much my face when I ran the calculations this morning.

I know I have been terrible at updates over the last few weeks, but packing and work have just been taking up every single second of our days. I feel awful, but I don't expect its going to get much better for the next few weeks, either :guilty:. Please forgive me for being such a terrible trip reporter this time around.....I surely didn't intend to be this absent when I kicked off the thread in the New Year.

@bankr63 , I hope you had an amazing trip and enjoyed some great weather at SVR!

Thanks to those who have continued to post and keep up a bit of the chatter despite my absence......you guys are all awesome :love:.

I will be back when I can.....I promise!

Aaaaand we're back... (said with a lot less enthusiasm than my post from Friday the 9th).

Yes we had a wonderful trip, but it is soooo hard to pack up and head the car back north. It was a cooler than usual week last week (but not cold); temperatures managed to touch 70 every day, but there were some stronger north winds for a couple of days. Actually probably ideal weather for the parks. We even took advantage of the one patch of rain showers on Monday to line up for Flight of Passage at Pandora; posted time was something over 2 hours, but we were on in about 90 minutes as not many people join the queue in the rain. Best Ride At Disney!! Really enjoyed Disney Springs now that it is mostly done - 2 years ago it was mostly a sea of hoarding. We also did Epcot (meh) and of course we hit MK twice (a day visit and a separate night visit).

Sorry to all, but no Speedo pictures (not really, you'd probably thank me). As a matter of fact, the big Canon camera never even got out of the camera bag; I guess maybe I have photographed everything I want down there? :confused3 Just a few snaps on the phone, and that was mostly to remember parking row and locker numbers.

The one biggest take away this trip is how expensive Disney continues to become. Comparing prices to 10 years ago, it is shocking what Disneyflation is running at! And it seems to be spreading. Food prices at the local Publix were higher than here in Canada for many essentials - especially meat and produce. That was mind boggling since the stuff is grown down there! We cross checked Target and WalMart and they were a bit lower, but still no bargain.

As we drove back north into the relentlessly decreasing temperatures (woke to 9*F this morning, and a couple of inches of residual snow to scrape off my car), we started planning for next March. Looking like Arizona or New Mexico may win out for 2019. Then we have to decide if return for 2020 or save our next visit for the big festivities in 2021. I found the 3060 miles of driving more tiring this time; maybe we'll fly for our next visit, or spread the drive out a bit.

TTFN - I have over 500 emails built up over the 9 days away. We also left the computers at home, and I really did enjoy being "off the grid", but what a backlash! :surfweb:

I can't bring myself to read trip reports. I.Just.Can't. I can only scan the pictures. If I want to read something that long, I will read a book. :) Thus, I do not go to the forum but maybe once a year to look at pictures. I would think the folks who enjoy reading trip reports could find this post easier if it was in the trip report forum. QUOTE]

Gina, I read many trip reports but usually do not respond, preferring to lurk in the shadows of the internet. However, I could not stop myself from responding to this comment. I thoroughly enjoy reading your trip reports, and learning about what there is to do outside of the Disney bubble. Because of your reports, I plan on making a reservation at the Sheraton Vistana, as well as ride the Orlando eye. I hope that negative comments like this do not dissuade you from continuing to write them!

First of all Dash is adorable!!

Next, please don't apologize to us. Trip reports, writing them, and reading them, are a nice extra for all of us, after the business of life gets taken care of. Take care of life-- the move, work, and all that entails. I love reading your take on Orlando, you're so positive and your take on things, even when they don't go as planned, is so optimistic, and I appreciate that!

Wishing you smooth transitions this week!!
Dawn

Oooh 46 days and counting, it's getting really close. Hope all goes well this week :goodvibes

Welcome back bankr63 glad the trip went well. I agree about the ever increasing prices, it must be out pricing some guests now, especially with the hotel parking charges.

My news is that we have just booked our next trip, going 7th December for 3 weeks and I have been shopping around to get good prices, especially on the flights. I've already said we might be giving it a miss now for a few years or so. I'll have to get a countdown ticker.

Aw, thank you! :goodvibes

Here's one to make you laugh from the weekend. Dash decided to just "stand" in the middle of the floor as we were watching March Madness. He was completely bewildered as to why we were giggling at his crazy stance.

29342976_10156605875761416_1915958473630606017_n.jpg

Awww, too cute!! I love his expression!

And congrats on the house :)

OK, I'm biting the bullet and jumping in! Fellow Canadians here :cloud9:. Gina, I've read every single one of your past trip reports, and have come to the conclusion that you and your hubby share my travel style pretty well I've been to Florida several times (and travelled extensively to other locales), but DH has never really been on vacation (family didn't have much money growing up, and he never had the interest before we met). I figured that Orlando would be a great 1st vacation destination for us and have been making notes (eat here, look for deals here, visit here!) from your TRs on what to see and do. I will be following and hopefully planning my own trip soon!

Thanks for the update Gina! What a great week, ending with a visit from your boy! I wish you a successful move and an enjoying vacation. Catch up when you can, we will all still be here.

I envy all you who escaped some of this winter crap.

Oops, looks like the site team moved us again. This is turning into the great Gina-Gina scavenger hunt! With all the moving going on in her life, Gina must be getting dizzy! :)

Hope your weekend moving goes well Gina!

I have no idea who moved this thread....

I noticed it coming up in my inbox as I posted in it when I moved the thread back to its first home.

I really like reading Gina's reports in the Orlando Attractions forum. I've learned more about the various restaurants, resorts, and non-Disney attractions from her trip reports than any other single source. We chose our swamp tour a couple of years ago based on her recommendation as well as enjoying Hash House a Go Go after she went. Gina's talent for writing about events "beyond the bubble" should make her trip reports a perfect fit for the Orlando board. Just my 2 cents.

Gina-I hope you are having a great moving week and I love the picture of Dash.

Okay! First I am sad I missed the beginning of your report Gina! I didn't get notification that you tagged me, or ok if I did I do not remember because I was hopped up on meds from my knee replacement surgery. :confused3:confused3 Ah well, I am here now!

I am sorry to hear about Jake's engagement :sad: I know he'll find the right person at the right time, but it sure does not make it any easier! I knew about the house stuff from facebook, but I am so happy you guys found a house you love and it was probably for the best! Gotta look at all the positives right? Murphy should be about done with you all for now, lord knows we have had our fair share of a blah start to the new year as well.

I was so excited when I saw you were visiting FL in May, :cheer2:but then sadly realized you will be gone by the time we arrive, 2 weeks later. :sad::sad::sad: We are in the midst of planning our 2 week Trip of Celebrations for late May early June. Tomorrow is our 60 day fp window, pixiedust:pixiedust: need a lot of that pixie dust for some of them! :rotfl:

Last time we really chatted on your trip report, I was bound and determined to go to Sea World, well wouldn't you know that I was not even thinking about it when I booked our trip and bought tickets?!! :confused3 Maybe next time, as this is all paid up now.

I hope you're getting settled into the house, I can't wait to hear more updates!

Hi Gina. I've been off Disboards for about 3 years (!) but got drawn in to one of your PTRs the moment I'm back. :-D What a rollercoaster you've had the past few months. So glad the new house worked out--looks like it was meant to be. Looking forward to hearing how the move went. Your kitties are very beautiful, and I'm sure the move made them happy with an abundance of boxes and crinkly paper!

The...um, mobility...of your PTR makes me laugh, but also highlights my own quest for a place that's as friendly and well-informed as this place, but, you know, has more coverage. We are booked to fly into MCO in late July, but Orlando is just a way-point for us this time. Direct flight from Halifax, so worth it! Usually the only places you can get to direct from here are Toronto or Montreal. I am having a heck of a time finding conversations about Busch Gardens/Tampa area. We really enjoyed Seaworld as well, so we're hoping we'll enjoy its sister park as well. We're also doing a few nights on the Space Coast this time, I'll be able to find some day-trip info here but probably not much more. There's a UK board called The Dibb that's pretty good, and the Brits do love ALL of Florida. (And you can always follow their lead to a good deal!)

Anyway, looking forward to keeping up with the rest of your planning, and your "beyond Disney" TR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!