Almost afraid to ask this.... pool hopping allowed or not? (cowering in corner)

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
I hadn't considered doing it until now, so I haven't been following the threads about it... but have seen enough to know it's been conflicting info for awhile. SO... IS it allowed or not?!

I will be at OKW starting next Sunday 9/25 until 9/30 and just found out that we can take a boat to Saratoga Springs. Then I realized that the pool area looks way cooler than at OKW and it might be a fun way to spend a few hours one day. But is it allowed and if not - why would anyone take the boat over there? BTW - how long IS the boatride?

Thanks to all... please don't flame me for asking. :flower:

No flames... yes, it is allowed. The boat ride is about 10 minutes. People would take the boat to Downtown Disney. It stops at SSR first.

phew.... thanks. I am leaving in less than 2 days and we're going to POP first then to OKW so I'm nervous about adding anything to our agenda. But in this case... it'll save us the money of water park tickets since my kids are only 2 and 4, the pool at SS looks like it's right up their alley! And the boat ride makes it even more special and fun. Can't wait!

Pool hopping is allowed if you're a DVC member on points. They ask that you call ahead to a resort where you plan to "hop" to make sure they are not too busy. Certain dates are blacked out (holiday times) and hopping is never permitted at AKL or YC/BC/BCV.

OKAY.... what about using a member's points then? We rented them... is this a taboo subject? And how would we present our selves at the "other" pool? Show our room keycards or something?

Actually the main pool at OKW has a new Sandcastle slide and is really nice, you should check it out.

moopdog said:
OKAY.... what about using a member's points then? We rented them... is this a taboo subject? And how would we present our selves at the "other" pool? Show our room keycards or something?
Technically renters are not allowed to pool hop. If the room card says member, you should have no problem. If it doesn't, you will not be able to pool hop. The rules are these. Some times are blocked ahead of tim, I don't think those days are. You then must call the destination resort to see if it's OK for that day and time or if the pool is already "at capacity".

If your room card says member, Disney is still permitted to ask for your blue membership card to honor any perks. They usually don't - not for pool hopping (seems to be getting more common for the dining discounts), but that's the way the perks are.

moopdog said:
phew.... thanks. I am leaving in less than 2 days and we're going to POP first then to OKW so I'm nervous about adding anything to our agenda. But in this case... it'll save us the money of water park tickets since my kids are only 2 and 4, the pool at SS looks like it's right up their alley! And the boat ride makes it even more special and fun. Can't wait!

You probably already realize, but just a reminder, you cannot hop on your POP days. Wait, wasn't that a dr. seuss book? no hop on pop,lol :rotfl:

I've never pool hopped - in fact, never really thought about it until reading the boards. We just check out a pool as we stay at the different resorts. Any way, my question is how do they know you are actually pool hopping. I know when we stay at a resort, we simply head out to the pool. No one has ever asked us if we are staying there. No one has even approached us. So, I'm just curious if we were to simply "walk out" to another pool, how would they know?

:confused3

The only way the resort would know you were not staying at that resort is if a CM asks to see your room key with the name of the resort you are staying at. If a person is a DVC member, which allows you the benefit of pool hopping, the key will have the word "member" on it . If they want to make sure you are a really a member and not just renting points they can also ask to see your blue membership card. If you fail to show any one of these if requested they can ask you to leave the pool area. I have never been asked to show any of these any of the times I have pool hopped to other resorts. But I have heard people checking when the pools are crowded, and DVC members (and I suppose other people who weren't supposed to be there) were asked to leave. That is why you are supposed to call ahead to the resort to see if the pools are at capacity before pool hopping.

If you were staying at, say, boardwalk and walked over to stormalong bay, they'd know right away cause you wouldn't have a wristband. Not sure how they police it at AKL. I think those are the only two they bother to question people at. I've often wanted to hop to the poly pool, but i'd miss just walking back to my room afterwards. Just easier to swim at your resort and most of the DVC pools are as nice, if not nicer, than the deluxe resorts.

sept is not crowded - so you should be fine.

do you have a car?

if so I would consider POFQ - it is across the street from OKW - but it's pool is designed for children your age.

the slide at OKW might be too much for your kids. try it first yourself before you let them go down it.

I have walked to POFQ but only if staying along miller road.

you go out the service road (across from building 18), and across the street with the walkaway (disney Vacation way). then you can walk through the woods (I don't do this to many snakes and reptiles) - I walk to the end of the street - there is a bunch of grass (so you don't need to walk in the busy street) - then you go in on the roadway past the security guard. just be on the look out for the cars. so don't let your children out of your sight - hold hands if possible. this should take from the service road around 15 minutes probably less.

otherwise you can take the boat to DD, then get on the boat to PO. POFQ is the first stop. this way can take an hour or more.

spiceycat said:
sept is not crowded - so you should be fine.

do you have a car?

if so I would consider POFQ - it is across the street from OKW - but it's pool is designed for children your age.

the slide at OKW might be too much for your kids. try it first yourself before you let them go down it.

I have walked to POFQ but only if staying along miller road.

you go out the service road (across from building 18), and across the street with the walkaway (disney Vacation way). then you can walk through the woods (I don't do this to many snakes and reptiles) - I walk to the end of the street - there is a bunch of grass (so you don't need to walk in the busy street) - then you go in on the roadway past the security guard. just be on the look out for the cars. so don't let your children out of your sight - hold hands if possible. this should take from the service road around 15 minutes probably less.

otherwise you can take the boat to DD, then get on the boat to PO. POFQ is the first stop. this way can take an hour or more.

Thanks so much for the advice! We did request a bldg near the main hall though so we won't be able to walk to POR... but taking the boat is an option, huh? It doesn't look like we'll be able to do it, but if we get a "member" stamp on our key/card... I won't ask/won't tell! ;) Guess if it's meant to be - it'll happen! Thanks to you all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter