Alright guys, I'm not sold on Happily Ever After...

GADisneyDad14 could not have said it better. I loved Wishes, I was very skeptical of HEA... and I absolutely LOVED it! But the best part about it was watching my daughter watch it. The song has grown on me and now makes me teary just like Wishes used to. :)

Wow, I am loving all the responses on this! I am so glad that so many people do get joy from the new show. That is what Disney is all about!

It like a blue print for story telling. You have an introduction to the main character, the faithful side kick, the love interest, the villain, and the happy ending. I get goosebumps during some parts and when I see Tinkerbell my eyes well up-and I'm not usually like that.

Haha, see I AM usually like that (far more often than the average person) and it didn't make me tear up at all! I do really like your interpretation of the story of it though, I definitely see what you mean. I'll have to watch it again with this in mind, maybe I'll follow it better!

I am glad to see that so many people (people who love the show and those who don't) seem to agree that there is too much going on with all the projections and fireworks at the same time. That was a big bummer for me, I felt like I couldn't appreciate everything Disney wanted to show me because everything was distracting from everything else. Watching it from Beast's castle was wonderful because we were able to just watch the fireworks and listen to the beautiful soundtrack, holding each other and singing along. That's the kind of beautiful moment I used to get all the time with Wishes. We may start experiencing this show more often from other areas of the park.

I didn't even think about that's why the hub crowd was so bad! Everyone is trying to watch it from there for the projections! So many people used to watch Wishes from other parts of the park, and now almost no one does that for fear of missing the projections. It was INSANE for us in the hub, even crazier than on the most busy of Wishes days.

I loved Wishes but absolutely ADORE HEA. It always baffles me that people don't see the story and think it's just a collection of music clips. Allow me to share my nerdiness with this show :)
After the opening song we start with Tiana making a wish on a star, we move through several characters wishing, hoping, dreaming of bigger, better, different things (Tiana, Little Mermaid, Ratatouille, Hunchback)
So after Wishing it's time to get out there and go grab your dream: (Brave, A Bugs Life, Cars, Up, Finding Nemo and Moana)
You need friends to help you along the way: (Aladdin, Tarzan, Lion King,Toy Story, Wreck it Ralph,Big Hero 6, Zootopia,Inside Out, Monsters University, Jungle Book)
You need love ones, not only romantic love but family (Frozen, Wall-E, Lion King,Tarzan, Dumbo,Up Tangled, Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Princess and the Frog,Little Mermaid)
And of course you will find some adversity along the way (Mulan,Lion King, Pirates)
But you persevere and peace is restored (I choke up at this moment) Hercules Go the Distance with Mufasa's voice in the background, a buttload of heroic songs from a buttload of movies, images come up on the castle)
And HEA reprise with voice over person telling us it's our turn to not only Wish but get out there and reach our happily Ever After, always remember we have the courage to fly (Tink)

So yeah, to me it's leaps and bounds better than Wishes

Last edited:
For me, the graphics are too rushed, too piled on top of each other. It's like it was made by people with ADHD for other people with ADHD. It wasn't a nice, relaxing, end of a long day fireworks show. It was "how many characters can we shove into the timeframe, oh look a squirrel!"

I loved Wishes but absolutely ADORE HEA. It always baffles me that people don't see the story and think it's just a collection of music clips. Allow me to share my nerdiness with this show :)
After the opening song we start with Tiana making a wish on a star, we move through several characters wishing, hoping, dreaming of bigger, better, different things (Tiana, Little Mermaid, Ratatouille, Hunchback)
So after Wishing it's time to get out there and go grab your dream: (Brave, A Bugs Life, Cars, Up, Finding Nemo and Moana)
You need friends to help you along the way: (Aladdin, Tarzan, Lion King,Toy Story, Wreck it Ralph,Big Hero 6, Zootopia,Inside Out, Monsters University, Jungle Book)
You need love ones, not only romantic love but family (Frozen, Wall-E, Lion King,Tarzan, Dumbo,Up Tangled, Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Princess and the Frog,Little Mermaid)
And of course you will find some adversity along the way (Mulan,Lion King, Pirates)
But you persevere and peace is restored (I choke up at this moment) Hercules Go the Distance with Mufasa's voice in the background, a buttload of heroic songs from a buttload of movies, images come up on the castle)
And HEA reprise with voice over person telling us it's our turn to not only Wish but get out there and reach our happily Ever After, always remember we have the courage to fly (Tink)

This is so well put! I completely agree that there was a good storyline. I liked be fast pace because I got to see so many different characters. Dh and I are from the 90s so we loved that all of those characters were included.

For me, the graphics are too rushed, too piled on top of each other. It's like it was made by people with ADHD for other people with ADHD. It wasn't a nice, relaxing, end of a long day fireworks show. It was "how many characters can we shove into the timeframe, oh look a squirrel!"
I think that if you are in front of the castle, where you can see all the projections it might be overwhelming,, I try not to focus on a specific thing, I let myself be taken away with the music and go where my eyes want me to go, fireworks or projections, I don't try to see it all at the same time, that's not possible. I have watched this show from a lot of different places, the Poly beach, Main Street by the train, the Hub, right in front of Crystal Palace, and each time I discover something different and each time I enjoy it even though I'm not getting the full blast of the show

I didn't even think about that's why the hub crowd was so bad! Everyone is trying to watch it from there for the projections! So many people used to watch Wishes from other parts of the park, and now almost no one does that for fear of missing the projections. It was INSANE for us in the hub, even crazier than on the most busy of Wishes days.
Another major factor is the newness. Wishes was old. People had seen it so many times they just skipped it. Now many guests are making a point to see HEA because it's new to them or at least they are not tired of it yet. You don't have near as many who want to skip it. That makes the hub more crowded than anything

I think HEA is nice, but I think it is super busy. I also think the Hunchback of Notre Dame and Moana songs last way too long. They could have shortened those segments and included more (and better, IMO) songs in there as well. I love love love the Go the Distance part tho.

I loved Wishes, and Celebrate the Magic. I feel like HEA had massive shoes to fill.

I think that if you are in front of the castle, where you can see all the projections it might be overwhelming,, I try not to focus on a specific thing, I let myself be taken away with the music and go where my eyes want me to go, fireworks or projections, I don't try to see it all at the same time, that's not possible. I have watched this show from a lot of different places, the Poly beach, Main Street by the train, the Hub, right in front of Crystal Palace, and each time I discover something different and each time I enjoy it even though I'm not getting the full blast of the show

Which is great if you can afford to go multiple times. Some people can't. IMO, it's like they designed the show for squirrels.

My advice is to watch HEA from farther back on Main Street. Most people are crowding in close, and that's when the projections and fireworks get overwhelming. The best balance is to be had further back. Seriously... if you want to check out YouTube videos, you'll see that the best ones are shot from further back.

I even think it's incredibly spectacular at the TTC, where you're not watching it for the projections at all.

As for the storyline, I'm going to honest and say that Wishes' message bugged me the first time I watched it. (Sorry... please don't hate me.) I kind of shook my cynical head and said, what kind of lies are we telling children? That if they just wish hard enough all their dreams are going to come true? No. You don't just wish. Your idle wishes are not going to make you a state champ, your prince/ss won't drop in your lap, and won't make mommy and daddy get back together again. The show grew on me over the years, but not because of its message. HEA tells you to go seize your life and become who you're meant to be. I love that message so much more.

Which is great if you can afford to go multiple times. Some people can't. IMO, it's like they designed the show for squirrels.
It's a matter of choice. Don't go thinking you have to take it all in, again, watch, let the music guide your eyes and you'll have a better experience.

My advice is to watch HEA from farther back on Main Street. Most people are crowding in close, and that's when the projections and fireworks get overwhelming. The best balance is to be had further back. Seriously... if you want to check out YouTube videos, you'll see that the best ones are shot from further back.

I even think it's incredibly spectacular at the TTC, where you're not watching it for the projections at all.

As for the storyline, I'm going to honest and say that Wishes' message bugged me the first time I watched it. (Sorry... please don't hate me.) I kind of shook my cynical head and said, what kind of lies are we telling children? That if they just wish hard enough all their dreams are going to come true? No. You don't just wish. Your idle wishes are not going to make you a state champ, your prince/ss won't drop in your lap, and won't make mommy and daddy get back together again. The show grew on me over the years, but not because of its message. HEA tells you to go seize your life and become who you're meant to be. I love that message so much more.
100% agree, wishing is fine but you have to get off your but and make your wish come true. Also about watching further back, I found the stroller parking area for Crystal palace to be a really good spot, you get to see most of the projections and fireworks and it's nice and empty-ish

It's a matter of choice. Don't go thinking you have to take it all in, again, watch, let the music guide your eyes and you'll have a better experience.
We only saw the show once and I thought we saw most of the show. I didn’t feel like I needed to watch it again, although I would’ve if we had time!

Yes! I'm always a little puzzled when people say it has no story line. I just wonder if we watched the same show. I've watched it a bunch on video, but I've only seen it once in person (on a very cold/windy night where Tink didn't fly) and I cry and get goosebumps every single time. The only con for me as a previous poster stated, is that it has ruined all other fireworks shows for me. Nothing even comes close.

Wishes was good, but it was starting to get stale for me. I stopped caring if I made it to the MK for fireworks when I got to WDW during its run. I did get to see it one last time in January 2017, and it was nice, but the only thing that made it special from fireworks elsewhere was the Disney music. That said, each of my trips since HEA started, I have made it a point to see the show. I love the visual that everything brings together.

Wishes replaced Fantasy in the Sky which I loved. I had to see Wishes several times before I fell in love with it, and by the time it ended, I also felt a great deal of sentimentality toward it.

I expect that I will feel the same way toward HEA eventually. In the meantime, I agree with the OP that HEA right now feels like a mash-up of Disney movies.

Last edited:

I teared up just from your description!

I was very wary of HEA bc let’s face it, Once Upon a Time isn’t even in the same league as Celebrate the Magic, but as soon as I saw (I had to watch it online bc I couldn’t wait a few weeks to watch in person) and it moved me just from watching online. I immediately....and I mean right that second, went online and booked the HEA dessert party bc I knew I wanted a great spot to view it in person.

Count me in as one who finds it hard to focus on fireworks and projection at the same time. I don't like having to keep adjusting my gaze from the castle to the sky. It was so great when they had parade, projections, and fireworks as separate events. Really miss the parade.

Although we have watched from the area in front of Caseys and enjoyed it, we rode Dumbo one night during HEA with kids (over and over) and they thought it was great! I do enjoy watching in front of the castle so I would do Dumbo or watch from somewhere else if we have 2 or more evenings to watch HEA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter