Alternatives for someone with lower back pain

That light scooter (Angus :) ) is awesome and exactly what I'd want, but I wish I could rent one. It's way too much money to spend on something I'd use for just a few days once a year.
You might be able to. I don't have any personal experience, but https://scootanywhereusa.com/rent/ says that they can do local Orlando rentals of the travelscoot or triaxe. You could also do a mail rental, but the shipping adds a significant cost.

I know you said you couldn’t see yourself using a rollator. And if walking is the main. Issue it may not help but I just wanted to share my experience. I have always had back problems from standing but used to just suck it up. Then I injured both knees, not severely enough to require surgery but enough that I couldn’t walk long distances. I rented an ecv which was great. But I’m a passholder plus I want to walk. I tried a cane but sometimes people would inadvertently kick cane out from under me. Saw someone not too much older them me pushing a drive nitro rollator. Ending up getting one and it’s been a life saver, not just for Disney but for malls and museums. For my next trip I was able to get on sale an even more convenient one that folds up to the size of an small stroller and will fit in over head bin on flights. Just want to remove the stigma for those it might help, because they not only give you a place to sit but they hold your belongings too which is a big help.

Have you considered a manual wheelchair instead? Much easier to put in a trunk.

Meet Angus:

View attachment 473585

He's a TravelScoot, and is named after Princess Merida's faithful horse in "Brave", who always brought her home safely from her adventures!

Without me, Angus weighs less than 35 pounds as pictured here. When I am riding this device, I don't use the backrest because I like to keep my core as strong as possible, and it forces me to sit up straight. It also means I can swing my "bad" leg over the set, and mount/dismount like a tricycle if I want to. Plus, the seat back hits me in a *very* painful area, and rather than have a customized seat back made, I just leave it off altogether. (I also have customized a standard boat seat to fit which offers a more comfortable seat for longer days.

The battery is located between the rear wheels. I charge it overnight, every night at WDW, and a new Li-on battery will take me through a full "Disney Day" - and I am a 3L! (Large Lovely Lady)

The red fabric triangle is very sturdy, and will hold a surprising amount of stuff, and can be easily removed (it's held on with velcro tabs)

The handlebars can be raised to any height you wish, and can be dropped to a height that will allow you to stay seated, and roll under most desks and virtually every table at WDW dining.

The standard throttle set up is a "twist throttle" (like a motorcycle) but I use a CrampBuster (sold as an accessory by Travelscoot) so that I can use my thumb, or even the palm of my hand to move the throttle.

There is reverse if needed.

There are bicycle brakes for the rear wheels that will stop you, but you have to be able to squeeze the brake handle.

It does NOT beep - ever. Not when you turn it on, or when you back up.

It has one rear hub motor on the left wheel, and can literally spin a 360 degree circle on it's back right wheel.

It does NOT have a key - I simply unplug the battery when at WDW, and tuck the battery cable under the motor out of sight. No one really messes with it, although I very rarely park him these days.

And last, but not least, it folds into a bag about the size of a golf bag for transport (if you want to). I typically just lift him ready to roll right into the back of my Kia Soul, and set his brakes, and away we go! I do have to put one of the seats down, but at 35 pounds, it's pretty easy to lift in and out - and oddly enough, easier for me to lift when he is ready to ride than when he is folded into his bag!

Yes, it's spendy - you will probably be looking at about $3000 all told. But you won't find a better made super-lightweight personal mobility device. My husband is an Airframe/Powerplant mechanic for a major airline, and he was/remains impressed by the build quality and the engineering that went into making it so lightweight, yet sturdy. And - the most important thing you have to remember is this - it's replacing your legs. Do you want something that's cheap, and you may have to replace in a few years, or something that you can rely on for years to come?

Travelscoot can sell you a wide range of parts to keep it running for years, and they even have the ability to sell you just the frame if anything every happens (like it gets bent in an accident). They also have an awesome "grow up" program that lets parents buy a small size TravelScoot for their child, and then when the child outgrows the small frame, the larger frame can be swapped in, and everything just moved over. TravelScoot USA is a small company, and they are so very helpful and friendly to work with. They also post a TON of "how to" videos on YouTube so that you (or someone who is mechanically inclined) can do virtually all of the maintenance and repairs you might ever need.

That's Angus. Let me know if you have any questions - or just visit the TravelScoot website; they have tons of info there, obviously.
That is so cool! Thank you for the detailed info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter