Am I crazy or does this make sense?

floydfamily4

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW in May and I am super excited! The plan is to stay at my aunt's timeshare villa at the Westgate resort. This would be free lodging!! :teacher: Because she is an owner we aren't doing any presentations - just enjoying the space and amenities :banana:But...she has to pay her taxes which she assures me she will do but...:scared::scared::scared: I love the idea of staying off site because I love the extra room. However I don't love the idea that she can't reserve our dates until her taxes are paid :sad2: So I made a reservation at windsor hills just in case. If we can't stay with her that is where we would stay but it does tie up money in the interim :worried: I just felt like it was worth the potential $25 fee if we don't use it. Right? I need some Disney support :grouphug:

If you feel more comfortable by having the backup reservation, you are making the right decision. $25 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

If you feel more comfortable by having the backup reservation, you are making the right decision. $25 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
I agree! I just don't know right now but I'm confident it will all be settled by the end of January one way or the other. It's just been hard to plan with that uncertainty hanging in the air. Now I can continue planning with excitement pixiedust:pixiedust:

Did you share your plan to cancel with the owner you booked with at Windsor Hills?
Why? My reservation creates no more loss potential to them than any other. I imagine that is why they have the 60 day window because they understand that people's plans change and they have a system for it. Just as any reservation this far out for anything (hotel, car, meal, fastpasses, etc.). A reservation is a plan and of course plans can change. I'm just hopeful that everything will be settled, one way or the other, by end of January. :genie:pixiedust::genie:pixiedust:

Why? My reservation creates no more loss potential to them than any other. I imagine that is why they have the 60 day window because they understand that people's plans change and they have a system for it. Just as any reservation this far out for anything (hotel, car, meal, fastpasses, etc.). A reservation is a plan and of course plans can change. I'm just hopeful that everything will be settled, one way or the other, by end of January. :genie:pixiedust::genie:pixiedust:
It would appear that your reservation does create more of loss potential than any other because your plan going in is to cancel. It's just my opinion but I feel that it is inconsiderate.

If you are going to make a backup reservation with the intent to cancel, it would be more considerate to make it with another large timeshare resort. Yes, there is a cancellation policy at WH, but if the owner can't re-rent the unit in that time, then they take a bath on costs for the week. You are out $25, they are possibly out $100's. Remember that at a vacation home community you are renting from an individual. If you book your backup at a resort like Sheraton/Marriott/Hilton, then there is better potential for re-rental, and if not rented, then the loss is spread across a very large pool of ownership.

Not so bad if you are cancelling in January for May, worse the closer you get to the date.

You could just offer to pay the fees for your aunt's timeshare. Maybe not free lodging then, but still pretty cheap and a nice gesture to boot.

After re-reading the cancellation policy and deadlines, I am convinced that they have made the contract to protect themselves and will be fine 3 months out. If I end up needing to rent I want it to be at WH because that is the resort I chose intentionally having stayed there before. Thanks all. I guess it's time for me to move on from looking for support here. :sad2::sad1::sad:Happy planning!

We are going to WDW in May and I am super excited! The plan is to stay at my aunt's timeshare villa at the Westgate resort. This would be free lodging!! :teacher: Because she is an owner we aren't doing any presentations - just enjoying the space and amenities :banana:But...she has to pay her taxes which she assures me she will do but...:scared::scared::scared: I love the idea of staying off site because I love the extra room. However I don't love the idea that she can't reserve our dates until her taxes are paid :sad2: So I made a reservation at windsor hills just in case. If we can't stay with her that is where we would stay but it does tie up money in the interim :worried: I just felt like it was worth the potential $25 fee if we don't use it. Right? I need some Disney support :grouphug:

Ok....here is MY two cents. Yes, a backup plan is an excellent idea....however, lets revisit your "free lodging" comment. In my opinion, if you are willing to pay for a week at Windsor Hills, then why not offer "something" to your aunt to help her pay her maintenance fees since that seems to be a concern. I am sure splitting her fee or contributing towards it in some way is FAIR. In other words, it comes across as you prefer to pay a stranger to stay at their place, than to help your aunt pay maintenance fees and stay at hers. Am I the only one that sees it this way?? Then, you can be assured her maintenance fees are paid and you will have a place to stay.

Now lets make a comparison of your accomodations. Keep in mind, Westgate Vacation Villas has a FREE waterpark for owners and guests/relatives of owners. Windsor Hills does not provide a water park amenity. Also Westgate has plenty of on-site activities for kids that isn't offered at Windsor Hills. There is even a movie theater in Westgate. Now if you plan to be in the parks from sun-up until sun-down, you may not need any of this. So in my opinion, I would help my aunt pay her maintenance fees since I would need a place to stay regardless. If SHE changes her mind about paying the fees then get a Windsor Hill unit or find a unit elsewhere since they come a dime a dozen in that area and during the time you plan to travel. It will not be 'spring break' time, so you will EASILY find a unit if your aunt doesn't come thru. Just my opinion......

You could just offer to pay the fees for your aunt's timeshare. Maybe not free lodging then, but still pretty cheap and a nice gesture to boot.

My point EXACTLY!!! My VERY FIRST thought would be to pay my aunt before I would willingly give my money to a stranger....yes it's obvious this is a sensitive subject for me......its funny how others don't see the irony in it until someone else points it out.

Ok....here is MY two cents. Yes, a backup plan is an excellent idea....however, lets revisit your "free lodging" comment. In my opinion, if you are willing to pay for a week at Windsor Hills, then why not offer "something" to your aunt to help her pay her maintenance fees since that seems to be a concern. I am sure splitting her fee or contributing towards it in some way is FAIR. In other words, it comes across as you prefer to pay a stranger to stay at their place, than to help your aunt pay maintenance fees and stay at hers. Am I the only one that sees it this way?? Then, you can be assured her maintenance fees are paid and you will have a place to stay.

Now lets make a comparison of your accomodations. Keep in mind, Westgate Vacation Villas has a FREE waterpark for owners and guests/relatives of owners. Windsor Hills does not provide a water park amenity. Also Westgate has plenty of on-site activities for kids that isn't offered at Windsor Hills. There is even a movie theater in Westgate. Now if you plan to be in the parks from sun-up until sun-down, you may not need any of this. So in my opinion, I would help my aunt pay her maintenance fees since I would need a place to stay regardless. If SHE changes her mind about paying the fees then get a Windsor Hill unit or find a unit elsewhere since they come a dime a dozen in that area and during the time you plan to travel. It will not be 'spring break' time, so you will EASILY find a unit if your aunt doesn't come thru. Just my opinion......

Just an FYI - It's her taxes not the maintenance fees which I offered to help pay. We agreed on what she wanted me to pay during the trip and she wanted to stick to that. While I've moved on from this thread I had to clarify that since the insinuation that I was unwilling to help my aunt was incorrect and hurtful. Anyway - happy planning!

To clarify..

Windsor Hills does have a movie theater and by the end of February will have a water park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts