Amazon Raising Monthly Fee for Prime

soccerdad72

DIS Veteran
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-hikes-price-prime-18-142951363.html

It doesn't apply to yearly subscription cost, which already went up a while back to $99 (from $79, IIRC).

Two questions come to mind:

1. Does anyone pay on a monthly basis? If so, is there a reason why? To be honest, I didn't know that was an option.

2. Do you have a "breakeven point"? In other words, at what price would it not be worth it any more?

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what annual cost Amazon would have to go up to for me to reconsider my Prime membership. I imagine there would be a max price I would pay, but they're not there yet. :p

It doesn't apply to yearly subscription cost, which already went up a while back to $99 (from $79, IIRC).

1. Does anyone pay on a monthly basis? If so, is there a reason why? To be honest, I didn't know that was an option.

2. Do you have a "breakeven point"? In other words, at what price would it not be worth it any more?

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what annual cost Amazon would have to go up to for me to reconsider my Prime membership. I imagine there would be a max price I would pay, but they're not there yet. :p

1) Me either to the bolded.

2) I don't know what my max is. As you said, there's got to be one but honestly I have no clue what it would be.

I know my sister pays monthly but I have no idea why. I think she did it that way originally and keeps forgetting to change it.

I don't know what the price point is for me canceling. I definitely get way more than my money's worth.

I also had no clue there was monthly. And considering I (just me, not my husband) ordered 148 times from Amazon last year, I'm pretty sure I'm in the value category.

Add me to the list of people who had no clue that the monthly option existed, we get a lot of value from prime.

I don't think I could survive minus Amazon in my life, its so easy and convenient. But thinking about a price point, I'm not sure what it would be.

** we also do yearly subscription

We definitely get value, especially now with my college freshman having our account under her. We pay the student rate.

Had no idea monthly was even an option. We use our shared Prime membership (between my husband and I) at least twice a week, sometimes more. It is so convenient for so many things and saves so much time trying to find a need in a haystack AND it arrives at our door sometimes just hours after ordering.

As brick and mortar stores continue to close and reduce the selection of what they carry in store, I find more and more of my money going to AMAZON. Something dramatic would have to happen for me to not subscribe to PRIME any longer. I consider it a basic household expense like paying for electricity or water.

Sometimes it’s in the budget other times it’s not

I remember reading when the monthly option came out it was to entice ‘low income’ users to be able to use prime without the large upfront costs.

We rarely buy anything from Amazon anymore. We don’t have a membership.

While having prime was nice (when I used it for the free month trial) I usually order enough to get free shipping anyway (miss it being $25 though). So I won't pay for it.

I don't think I have a break even point LOL
I order so much from Amazon so the $99 pays for it self in shipping cost alone.

We definitely get value, especially now with my college freshman having our account under her. We pay the student rate.
I have been paying the student rate since 2011 since my oldest started college. My youngest is graduating this year, so for the fist time ever we won't have the student rate after this fall. I guess I will have a decision to make LOL. I order a TON and watch videos, so I'm sure I will continue to pay.

I'm another one that had no idea there even was a monthly rate. Right now we definitely get $99 value a year from it. I would say $149 would probably be the price that might make me reconsider.

We use it through my son's college account which is discounted. That will end this year. Not sure if I will pay the $99 for it. While it's nice, I really don't need things in two days and I get free shipping because I generally spend over $35. I've also started using Jet.com. Free shipping over $35 and they have been even faster than Amazon.

I remember reading when the monthly option came out it was to entice ‘low income’ users to be able to use prime without the large upfront costs.

I thought it has more to do with their Prime movie & TV streaming service. There are some shows & movies one can buy outright separately, without Prime. Others, are offered only to Prime members to watch.

I thought to do Prime for a month when I wanted to watch the whole series of Downton Abbey before the new/last season started. It was cheaper than buying each episode separately. Then my PBS channel aired the whole series, so I didn't have to get Prime.

I had no idea there was a monthly membership. However, I am not sure how I functioned before Prime. If there is a breaking point, I am nowhere near it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter