Amtrak from San Diego to Anaheim

I have done this. Yes, the station in Anaheim the one closest to Disneyland. The station I would
choose in San Diego would depend on what I planned to do in the city.

What do you plan on doing in San Diego? I think Union Station is usually more popular than the Old Town station.

You don't need to take Amtrak per se. It's possible to do this via Metrolink to Oceanside and then Coaster to San Diego. However, Amtrak has a cafe car.

Good to know about the Old Town vs. Union Station stations.

We're probably doing the zoo, maybe a whale watching tour, some beach time, going to Old Town, and maybe touring the Midway.

I know we don't need to take Amtrak, but we want to. We want the train experience and know that the San Diego-Anaheim route run right by the coast. If the Metrolink does as well, we might consider it.

Last edited:
Good to know about the Old Town vs. Union Station stations.

We're probably doing the zoo, maybe a whale watching tour, some beach time, going to Old Town, and maybe touring the Midway.

I know we don't need to take Amtrak, but we want to. We want the train experience and know that the San Diego-Anaheim route run right by the coast. If the Metrolink does as well, we might consider it.

The Metrolink to Coaster connection generally isn't that good and maybe you save $10 (adult fare) one way compared to the Pacific Surfliner. If you're going to the zoo, it's the old Santa Fe Depot, which is the main San Diego train station.

Thanks. We are starting our trip in San Diego before going to Anaheim. It doesn't necessarily matter which station is closest to the zoo. After your post, I looked up the Sante Fe Depot (Union Station), and that looks attractive. Let's be honest - we'll be tourists, and that location seems picturesque and a neater experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter