An amazing Article.

:crazy: :crazy: Hey!!! No Fair!!! I just put up a link of this article on the "Disney going down the drain" Thread!!!!

Oh well. It's a great article anyway. And you're right. The guy hits the nail on the head!!

:smooth: :p :) :D :cool: ;) :tongue: :wave: :earseek:

Sorry, Landbaron! LOL!

I tell you though, I was amazed. I could hear my own voice and the things that I've been saying coming from this article.

NONE of us want to see Disney fail! But watching them lately is nothing less than painful.

'Nuff said!

My favorite quote is when he said the higher ups
"feel that what they are producing now (especially in the theme parks) is what the public wants or expects from them."

I'm admittedly new in trying to articulate this disappointment in Disney (though it started with our last trip in '98 - which in retrospect is a contributing reason why we went 4 times in five years but have not been back since. The details are unimportant and maybe even boring.) Anyway - it seems to me the company is getting arrogant - and that they are not giving the public what they want or expect, but what Disney feels the public will accept. Not exceeded expectations - just trying to meet them. Not setting the bar high, but seeing how low they can set it and still be profitable. It will hurt them in the long run when someone someday gets an idea and financing for a theme park and is determined to outdo Disney.

Think it can't happen? Look at IBM - an arrogant leader in computing for many years, eventually buried by Microsoft (who maybe is now becoming an arrogant leader - but that's another topic.)

Yes, it does look like there is trouble in the West Coast Mousedom but does that translate to the East. Remember, even Rick does not have a crystal ball.

Currently, Disney is on a down slope whether Eisner turns back uphill or not will be known I think within a year or less. If the general economy turns up again (as Wall Street seems to think so) then Disney better turn up also or Eisner will be clipping coupons.

I don't think that the Castle will sink into the Florida swamps in the near future so I am willing to wait out this cycle (hopefully short).

For Landbaron.. If the down slope turns into an avalanche then I will be on the get rid of bandwagon (although I will still go to WDW, yearly). See my glasses are not completely rose-colored.

My current example is Xerox. They are nearly bankrupt, and everything I have read take it back to the decisions made two years ago to reduce levels of service to the field in an effort to "maximize" profit for their stock holders. They assumed that their loyal customers would stay. They didn't and now they are nearly out of business. It took 24 months to go from the biggest to bust. It can happen.

Pay attention, Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter