And this is why we rent a car!! Why didn't I just use it?!?

4fordisneyworld

DIS Veteran
Tuesday was our first day and couldn't have been more perfect. Easy flight and our room was ready just as we drove up to the resort. Then we decided since we were going to MK, and for just the one time, we would catch the bus over since it was already later in the day.
HUGE MISTAKE. On the way back, we had the joy of sitting next to a family with two extremely sick childen, one being an infant. They were both coughing the entire time and just seemed miserable.
Needless to say, now my oldest is in bed with a fever and sore throat. Yes, she could have easily gotten it anywhere but those darn buses are cess pools and being coughed on for 30 minutes is about hopeless. Lesson sooooo learned!
I have yet to understand why you would take your kids in the park that ill. To each his own, I guess.
We have officially freed up 3 spaces on the buses this week! Enjoy!! :D

I have yet to understand why you would take your kids in the park that ill.

I used to think this way too, until I had my own kid. There are any number of valid reasons for bringing a kid with a cough somewhere. If I had stayed home every time my kid had a cough I wouldn’t have been able to leave the house from the time he was three months old to about 4.5 years. There have also been times when he started out a day fine, and by the end of the day was not at all fine. Like the time we drove six hours to a friends house, when we started the trip he was fine, when we got there he had a raging cough and horrendous cold. There was also the time we were driving to the magic kingdom and my son threw up in the car. We chalked it up to car sickness and not being used to yogurt. Hopped on the monorail and he threw up all over me. Yup. Not car sickness. We road the monorail back around and went home. Should we have gone home immediately after he first got sick, of course, but at the time we truly thought he was just car sick and would be fine. People take sick kids places, sometimes on purpose, and other times, like what seems to happen to me more often than I’d like, by accident.

I used to think this way too, until I had my own kid. There are any number of valid reasons for bringing a kid with a cough somewhere. If I had stayed home every time my kid had a cough I wouldn’t have been able to leave the house from the time he was three months old to about 4.5 years. There have also been times when he started out a day fine, and by the end of the day was not at all fine. Like the time we drove six hours to a friends house, when we started the trip he was fine, when we got there he had a raging cough and horrendous cold. There was also the time we were driving to the magic kingdom and my son threw up in the car. We chalked it up to car sickness and not being used to yogurt. Hopped on the monorail and he threw up all over me. Yup. Not car sickness. We road the monorail back around and went home. Should we have gone home immediately after he first got sick, of course, but at the time we truly thought he was just car sick and would be fine. People take sick kids places, sometimes on purpose, and other times, like what seems to happen to me more often than I’d like, by accident.

As a parent of two, I can a absolutely agree that you may not even know your kiddos are sick until you are your destination.
In this case, although we were on the bus back to resort, the mom and dad were trying to figure out how they could still make their Chef Mickey reservation that evening with the kids so sick. I guess I just don't understand why you would to put your poor kiddos through that.
We just gave up two full days so my daughter could rest and the antibiotic could work on her strep throat. She didn't want to go in the parks, nor would I have exposed others to her.

Tuesday was our first day and couldn't have been more perfect. Easy flight and our room was ready just as we drove up to the resort. Then we decided since we were going to MK, and for just the one time, we would catch the bus over since it was already later in the day.
HUGE MISTAKE. On the way back, we had the joy of sitting next to a family with two extremely sick childen, one being an infant. They were both coughing the entire time and just seemed miserable.
Needless to say, now my oldest is in bed with a fever and sore throat. Yes, she could have easily gotten it anywhere but those darn buses are cess pools and being coughed on for 30 minutes is about hopeless. Lesson sooooo learned!
I have yet to understand why you would take your kids in the park that ill. To each his own, I guess.
We have officially freed up 3 spaces on the buses this week! Enjoy!! :D
I'm with ya...those buses are total cess pools - yuck! We always rent a car, WDW transportation is the worst.

It stinks for anyone to end up sick on vacation. Unfortunately the whole parks are cesspools of germs.

People can also cough from allergies, not just because they are sick. I know it doesn't matter at this point where a germ is picked up, but just wanted to throw that out there. I remember one bus ride where the child next to me was coughing and coughing. I looked at the mom and said "Asthma?" She said yes. A cough is not always something contagious.

It stinks for anyone to end up sick on vacation. Unfortunately the whole parks are cesspools of germs.

People can also cough from allergies, not just because they are sick. I know it doesn't matter at this point where a germ is picked up, but just wanted to throw that out there. I remember one bus ride where the child next to me was coughing and coughing. I looked at the mom and said "Asthma?" She said yes. A cough is not always something contagious.
Yep. Heck, I am an adult and I have this problem. When my allergies are super bad, my asthma flares up and I can not stop coughing. I sound horrible, but I am not sick. This cough can last for weeks or months even. I'm not stopping my life until my cough goes away.

We are due in WDW on Wednesday. My daughter has just been prescribed antibiotics for an ear infection and tonsillitis. Dr says please do not cancel, she will be much better by then. Biggest risk is her father, who has leukaemia, and wants to take his kids to WDW together (DD has never been) before he is too ill to travel. We cannot (for obvious reasons) move our trip.

If she is too ill to be in the parks, for a bit, we will hang out in the room, but, she is perking up already on the meds.

You never know what is going on for other people. People laud others who go to work sick, but they travel round to get there, they endanger the lives of people who work with them.

We will, since we understand the risks, minimise her ability to infect others (DR says she is very unlikely to be infectious by Wednesday anyway) but, honestly, you can pick up germs ANYWHERE. Also, as others have said, people cough for all manner of reasons. Not just infectious disease.

We went on a Disney Cruise during the Spring 2016. It was a very nice trip. However, as we got into the car for our 7 hour drive, my daughter began to cough. I knew it was the start of something. By the time we got there, she was so sick. Fever, vomiting and coughing (she has asthma) and I couldn't get the cough to end with my Rx's I always travel with. Ended up at an Urgent Care but what they prescribed wasn't our "usual". I told them that's not what works for her (we were still out of state). But they didn't budge. It didn't work. I had a flight from GA to California. When we got to California, took her directly to pediatrician and then to Costco for prescriptions. She missed a week of school. After that cruise was one of the times she was most sick. I don't know if it's the close quarters and every one on one ship, the pools....it was definitely a germ fest. At this point, I won't take her on another cruise.

We will, since we understand the risks, minimise her ability to infect others (DR says she is very unlikely to be infectious by Wednesday anyway) but, honestly, you can pick up germs ANYWHERE. Also, as others have said, people cough for all manner of reasons. Not just infectious disease.

Sometimes I think people who complain about the petri dishes of the disney busses, monorail, etc probably don't have to take mass transit on a regular basis...the disney transportation system seems SO MUCH CLEANER compared to the NYC subways I took on a daily basis for like 3 or 4 years of my life.

We are due in WDW on Wednesday. My daughter has just been prescribed antibiotics for an ear infection and tonsillitis. Dr says please do not cancel, she will be much better by then. Biggest risk is her father, who has leukaemia, and wants to take his kids to WDW together (DD has never been) before he is too ill to travel. We cannot (for obvious reasons) move our trip.

If she is too ill to be in the parks, for a bit, we will hang out in the room, but, she is perking up already on the meds.

You never know what is going on for other people. People laud others who go to work sick, but they travel round to get there, they endanger the lives of people who work with them.

I hope your family makes wonderful memories. I am sorry about your husband.

Sometimes I think people who complain about the petri dishes of the disney busses, monorail, etc probably don't have to take mass transit on a regular basis...the disney transportation system seems SO MUCH CLEANER compared to the NYC subways I took on a daily basis for like 3 or 4 years of my life.

Haha right?! Public transportation in a major city is miles worse than probably WDW transportation (haven't been to WDW, but have been in plenty of urban transportation settings to know what is nasty).

But also like someone else said - plenty of places you can catch an illness - the parks and the hotels are just as bad for germs!

Sorry your kiddo got sick. When we were in Disney last, DH and I could not stop coughing and sneezing the entire trip. For us though, it was allergies. We both get like that when we travel out of state, presumably from the different things in the air that our bodies aren't used to. Also DD is notorious for when she gets sick feeling completely fine, then literally out of nowhere projectile vomiting everywhere. There's never any warning signs.

Sure, some people can be disrespectful about taking themselves or their kids out when they're sick, but it's difficult to ever know what someone else's situation is.

Haha right?! Public transportation in a major city is miles worse than probably WDW transportation (haven't been to WDW, but have been in plenty of urban transportation settings to know what is nasty).

But also like someone else said - plenty of places you can catch an illness - the parks and the hotels are just as bad for germs!
Interesting, the public transportation in Philly doesn't skeeve me out nearly as much as the WDW transportation does - yuck!:crazy2:

Interesting, the public transportation in Philly doesn't skeeve me out nearly as much as the WDW transportation does - yuck!:crazy2:

I'll surround myself in some bubble wrap and spray myself head to toe with lysol, do you think that'll help? lol! Idk from videos I have seen on youtube it doesn't seem so bad?!

Incubation period for strep and many other illnesses is several days, so not likely it was the bus.

I do agree, though, that there are unpleasant bus rides. Most of ours are fine, though!

Maybe they caught it from the bus?!? Highly unlikely. Perhaps they picked it up from school. It's been a bad year for the flu/viral illness.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter