Animal Kingdom Lodge--Kidani Village

eangel12

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I need some opinions. We will be heading to Disney World in August 2014. Our plan is to take both of our moms with us. We were originally going to book a 2 bedroom suite SV. We looked into the pricing and the pricing is $$$ for the 10 nights. It looks like 468 points for the 2 bedroom. We then threw around the idea of just doing 2-studio SV instead which would be 360 points. We are planning to rent the points or just book directly through Disney. Any opinions??

We have two boys age 4, 2 at the time of the trip. If we were in a studio, we would just use the pull out couch for their bed. If we have a 2 bedroom, we would stay in the king bedroom room and rent a crib and toddler bed. Our moms would share the other room. Not sure what to do. We are afraid if we book 2-studio we wouldn't be close to each other. It would be approximately $1200 difference between 2 bedroom and 2-studios...$1200 is a lot of money. Basically would pay for all of our flights. Edited to add that I like the idea of the laundry services. The full kitchen isn't a huge deal. I have NO INTENTION of cooking any food. The most we would do are bagels, snacks and drinks. I have ZERO interest in cooking while we are away. The boys will be old enough where we will eat in restaurants. The longer balcony for viewing animals is a bonus too!!

Okay, long email but wanted to get opinions. We stayed studio at BCV the last time we were down...no grandmoms on that trip though.

(My son is OBSESSED with animals which is why we are booking AKV vs BCV which we loved last time. It is August so I am leaning towards BCV again...haha!!)

So are you a DVC member or not? If you are, I'd say book a 2 bedroom villa to insure that you will all be together or at least near each other. Don't forget that the 2 bedroom villas at Kidani also have 3 bathrooms, so it's possible the moms wouldn't have to necessarily share the bedroom if one didn't mind sleeping on the pull out sofa in the living room.

You will have a pack N play crib in the closet to use, and if you want both kids in your room with you, you could put the 4 year old on sofa cushions on the floor in your room. If they feel comfortable in a different room and you don't mind losing the use of the living room/kitchen at bedtime for the little ones, you can have t he 4 year old on the pull out twin sized sleeper chair. If it was me, I'd probably put the two kids in the master with you by using either sofa cushions or an air mat for the 4 year old. Kids love to sleep on the floor anyway. Then I'd let the mothers choose if they want to share the second bedroom or if one wants to use the living room as a bedroom. Either way, each will get their own queen sized bed, and each could have their own bathroom. If you get the studios, the mothers will definitely have less space, and one will be required to sleep on the pull out.

Do Moms like AKV? Your son will probably be back many times, the Moms, maybe not. I would stay at BCV or BWV so the Moms can walk around and see the sights.

:earsboy: Bill

10 days with a 2 and 4 year old ..... You need a W/D! I would go with the 2br. If saving $$$ is a huge driver, consider standard view. There are animal viewing areas all over the place. Or, you could even do a 2br at OKW, which would also be less $$$. I agree, $1200 is a lot of money!

To expand on Bill's comment, are the mom's park people, or will one or both of them want to stay back occasionally when you go to the park? There are a fair number of cultural activities at AKV, but there is really no where to "go". Walking around the resort amounts to walking to the pool or walking to the other half of the resort. The Epcot area may be more fun for the mom's. also, your kid's would probably enjoy BWV pool, if they have never stayed there. It's an awesome resort!

Regarding two studios, there is no way to guarantee proximity. Although, Bobbiwoz has a thread on the Mousellaneous board about success with the "travel with" request, but you obviously can't count on it.

If $$$ is really an issue - I think you should consider a 1BR. It will hold 5 people + 1 under 3 (since your 6th is 2 years old). Obviously, this will be tighter than the 2BR but cheaper.

You get the kitchen, W/D. You and the kids can stay in the Master Bedroom and the Moms can stay in the sofa bed (and the pull out sleeper if they don't want to share).

We're a family of 6 and until our youngest turns 3, we continue to stay at a 1BR.

Is money an issue, no...but if I can save $1200 I usually try to save the money! As for a resort near Epcot we've stayed at BCV and BWV. Both are beautiful but with our two little ones we wanted to do the AKV for the animals and the pool/kiddie area at Kidani looks amazing! We don't do the water parks yet so a good pool system is essential!!

Our children are 5 and 3 and we always travel for 10 days. We cannot live without the washer and dryer right now for that length of stay. When they were younger and had family traveling with us I had the older child sleep in the king bed with my DH and I and called for a real crib or used the pack n play in our bedroom.

Will your mothers feel comfortable staying in a studio together with one of them sleeping on a pull-out? If you want to do 2 studios and you're worried about being far away from each other another Dis member just posted yesterday they made a "traveling with" request on the rooms to indicate the two parties were traveling together. They checked in at two different times in studios and were next to each other. So it is possible to be near each other, but not to always expect it to work out too.

If you're not a DVC member have you thought about just getting two connecting regular rooms with double beds in both?

There is a nice little laundry room available. :)

We asked that our rooms be together and they were happy to make that happen.

We've looked into a bunch of options! Right now only one Grandmom is a definite yes! My mom works and she doesn't know if she could get off. She also HATES the heat so is debating going. I hope she changes her mind and embraces the heat. It would be her first real vacation!!

We looked into booking two rooms through Disney. If they offer a 30% off then the cost would be comparable to renting points! If not, point rental would be cheaper!!

I like the idea if washer/dryer!! With my guys I'm sure it would be easier!

It is REALLY hot in August. We used to travel in September, roasted and dealt with it. I really can't do it anymore. I get feeling very sick and nauseous in that extreme heat. (That doesn't mean there isn't a lot to do to stay cool - I am just saying that I can relate to her concern)

We went in September 2010. I was 6 weeks pregnant and it was hot as HELL!! Trust me, I get it! I'm not looking forward to August either but as a teacher there aren't many options! We could go for a week at the end of September but if the weather is just as hot--and I don't have to take my personal days, it works out much better!! I have gone back and forth between August and September!!

Just my opinion, but if going with BOTH moms, I'd get the 2BR and just splurge. I have similar aged kids but we ate every breakfast in the villa (it made life easier since dressing kids and getting them ready is kind of like dressing an octopus at that age).... that way we could all eat at our own pace, wake up when we wanted, and not have to worry about restaurant for breakfast. We had snacks and one big meal for dinner in the villa. All the rest we headed out to restaurants. But that would be a savings in all likelihood....maybe the moms would pitch in for the grocery delivery bill?????

But the washer/dryer is great. I would do either you 4yo or both kids on the sleeper sofa (they think that's great), moms in the extra room and you guys in the king room. Or 2 yo in the pack'n'play if not good in the bed yet.

But if only ONE mom goes, I'd probably do a 1BR to save $$$. That puts one mom plus 4 yo out in the living room (sleeper sofa and chair) and you guys with baby in the bedroom. Not ideal because it is harder for you guys to hang out after the kids fall asleep. But the porches are GREAT so that's where we were at night on our last trip. Enjoying the Savannah in the dark with lots of other adults we saw around the bend!

You'll love Kidani! If your mom can't commit, you're best probably booking with Disney on a discount because at least you can change/cancel/etc. You can always cancel and rent when it gets closer if you can get some commitment. But that's tough....your mom really needs to decide!!

My opinion strictly based on my likes and dislikes!

We always book a 2bd because we like being all together. We like getting up and sharing stories of the day before! Above and beyond that most important factor, Kidani had a third bathroom which with 3-4 teenager and 3-4 adults makes it a lot easier to get out of the villa in the morning and/or to dinner after the parks! Love the long balcony, I really enjoy my balcony time, without having to disturb anyone else!. We get a dedicated 2 bd, 2 beds in the second room. and we always use the sleeper sofa and that awsome sleeper chair that my 6'3" son (165lbs) loves to sleep in! And I'm a laundry person, I wash everyday whether on vacation or not and I do not like to go home with dirty clothes! So the W/D in the villa is a time saver, because I'm not going to the laundry room and wait! The covered parking lot is also wonderful, cover from the heat and the thunderstorms!

Here's some views from our standard view 2bd (3 dif. trips) and my best supporting argument for a Kidani 2bd!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter