Animal sightings at The Fort....

Colson39

Ft. Wilderness or bust!
So, where are some places you've seen wildlife throughout the Fort? Places/times/what you saw, anything you can talk about!

I've seen quite a few deer in the open meadows on both sides of the hookup/unhook pull outs right past the entrance to the Fort. I've normally seen them right around sunrise, between 6:30 - 7:30 AM. The clearer the sky and the more dew present, the more likely I am to see one for some reason.

Colson,
This past week, we saw deer just about every evening just as the sun was going down and dew was on the ground. Just as you said. One evening we saw a group of at least 6.

We also saw our share of bunnies and armidillos.

Loved it!!
Winnie

Two years ago I was over at WL with another guy. We were both waiting for the geyser to go off and were going to get some pictures of it. As we were waiting, a bald eagle dove down and snagged a big bass out of the lake right in front of us. There we were, both had cameras around our necks, and neither one of us got a shot of it. It was phenomenal, though.

We saw a bunch of turkey when we were there last December. Out in the parking lot for the overflow. When we would be taking the bus from the front bus stop (sorry can't remember the name right now- been a very long day) to one of the parks we would see them all over.
Saw some bunnies, squirrels, ducks(Mallards) and little song birds around our site.
I seemed to miss all the armadillos so I will be looking harder next time in the evenings around our site.

We had a turkey that was frequenting our loop last Thanksgiving, cannot begin to say how many "better watch out turkey" jokes were made...lol ;)

There are lots of turkey on the golf courses. So many they are almost considered a hazard.

We had a turkey that was frequenting our loop last Thanksgiving, cannot begin to say how many "better watch out turkey" jokes were made...lol ;)

I've seen your picture of that turkey at your site - looked delicious.

How's this for an animal sighting!
We spotted him in the canal near the group camping area.

disney2007217.jpg

How's this for an animal sighting!
We spotted him in the canal near the group camping area.

disney2007217.jpg

Wow, that is cool. Guess I will have to look a little harder for them too. I think it would be neat to see one in the wild. From a reasonable distance of course. Not in your face close. :rotfl:

he's just sunning himself. He wouldn't bother you.

To you Florida natives, remember when gators were actually rare and on the "verge of extinction"???

Those days seem so long ago. Gators seem to be everywhere now.

Edit: And I'm not talking about the college football team that got lucky USC choked :P

gators at a distance are ok. i would prefer not to have one near my campsite, though..

DSCF2085.jpg

These guys came to visit every morning while we were there. I guess they wanted breakfast.

We had a big orange snake wrapped around our bikes (on the bike rack on the back of the RV) the morning that we were leaving. It had a cut on it's head, so we're not sure if it fell out of a tree or where it came from. My very funny husband got it to wrap around a stick and then placed it across the grill before we left (he said it was because he was afraid that a dog would go after it if he left it on the ground). I'm sure the maintenance people loved it!
Unfortunately, I don't have the pictures loaded on the computer. It was an interesting end to our stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!