Annual passes and gender transition?

dawnball

<font color=red>bouncie bouncie...<br><font color=
My teenager is interested in having an annual pass to Universal or Disney World. However, they currently use a different name and presenting gender than is on their ID. They're under 18, but old enough to go into the parks alone.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to use their preferred name for an AP at either/both or if that would cause issues when showing ID?

Since they do check your ID when you activate your pass, I would imagine that your legal name is required on your pass.

I would check with Disney to know for sure. But unfortunately, this might present an issue since they use ID for verification. I don't know what state you live in, but it may be a good idea to start exploring what the requirements are in your state for a name and ID change. If that is a route they ultimately want to go down, the process can be an unfairly long one. So perhaps this time of altered safety measures and shutdowns at the parks is a good time to start thinking about it (by the time your teen has an ID that matches their identity, who knows, things could look a little more like usual in the parks).

For instance, I know my state requires a court order to apply for a legal name change. If they are under 18, they would require at least one parent's consent. Then they would need to apply for a new ID. Changing the gender marker on the ID requires a letter from a physician, therapist, social worker, life counselor, etc certifying their gender identity. Completing those steps can obviously take time (not to mention that gov offices are notoriously slow...and many will be even slower with reduced hours due to the pandemic). But it may be worth starting a conversation about what a legal name and gender change would mean for them, if it's what they desire, if now is the right time, and looking at what is needed for the process.

BUT I would certainly contact Disney first to see if they have other options for the AP. They tend to have pretty inclusive policies for LGBTQ employees and guests, and I can't imagine this would be the first time they have a guest with these needs.

There are times when the biometric scanners are offline. Occasionally when this happens, they will check IDs for AP holders, so I'm thinking it needs to match because of this. Had to go to guest services once because the CM who issued the pass had picked up my middle name instead of my first name from my ID.

Yeah, it's a little hard to get through to Disney right now, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has experience. :)

They're not ready for a legal name change. Fortunately, in this state, it's just paperwork. 10 minutes of paperwork, 6 weeks wait for your court order, then the tedious process of changing everything. Once school starts again in the fall, they'll have a student ID with their preferred name, so that's an option.

I was mostly thinking of the biometric scanners being offline (or not recognizing fingerprints) or how Universal is checking ID for everyone. I know Disney will take your picture, and use that picture in lieu of ID, but I don't know what the age cutoff is for "we expect you to carry ID" - clearly a 10 year old with an "Adult" AP wouldn't, but would be with family. A 14 year old is old enough to enter the parks alone, but unlikely to carry ID. An 18 year old is likely to have ID...

I don't think security is going to actively harass them, but they don't really look like their ID. Having to defend being Sally when they have a shaved head and their friends call them Joe is stressful, even if the ID says Sally. Likewise, having to defend being Joe, with long hair, makeup and a dress when your friends call you Sally. (All names are made up, but that's about where we are right now.)

Last edited:
I spoke with Universal today, and wanted to post in case anyone searched in the future.

Their AP has to be issued in their legal name. Then it can be changed to their preferred name by Guest Services - if we get the AP at guest services, it can all be done at once. Since they're under 18 - no ID is required (even with covid-precautions). They can enter the park with an adult who shows ID or they can be verified via other information associated with their annual pass, like address, birthdate, etc.

They also created a reference file for us, with what needs to be done and what policies support it, so I don't have to explain the whole thing to Guest Services and have them attempt to research it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!