Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

As of today, I've read 53 of my 100 goal. I am stuck on Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. Has anyone read it? I'm not sure why I can't finish it. (Been reading/rereading since February!) I think I'm offended by the prejudice in the story. I'm hoping there's a happy ending....or at least a happy-ish ending. Can anyone encourage me to finish?

-Dianne

As of today, I've read 53 of my 100 goal. I am stuck on Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. Has anyone read it? I'm not sure why I can't finish it. (Been reading/rereading since February!) I think I'm offended by the prejudice in the story. I'm hoping there's a happy ending....or at least a happy-ish ending. Can anyone encourage me to finish?

-Dianne

I would personally pick a different book unless your itching to see how it ends

Is Kindle lending library something I get for free if I have a Kindle, or is it an extra charge?

You might want to look into bookbub. It is free to sign up and you can specify what type of books you like. Then every day they send an email with suggested books. Over the course of a week about 25% of the books are free. The others range from .99 to 3.99. I have been getting them for over three years and have never bought anything. If I am interested in a book, I click on the amazon link provided in the email and can read the summary and reviews and buy it for $0.00 and it is immediately delivered to my kindle fire. If there is a book that interests me but has a charge, I look the title up in my local library's website and if they have it, have it put on hold for me. I get an email from the library when it is put on the holds shelf with my name on it and then I have four days to go get it and check it out. It helps that I live across the street from the library.

7/25 - Heir of Fire: A Throne of Glass Novel by Sarah J. Maas

The genre is fantasy and I'm loving this series. Just ordered number the next one.

#47/80: In This Grave Hour (Maisie Dobbs #14) by Jacquline Winspear (4.5/5) (Historical fiction/WWI/investigator)
I enjoy the series and the changes in the characters.

Week 29 – I read four books this week bringing me to 115/208. The books I read this week are:

Woman of God by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro. Set in the unspecified near future, the book’s opening premise of that a new Pope is being selected and because of a fast growing group within the Catholic Church, for the first time a woman is in serious contention. The book then goes on to fill in the back story of the woman whose name has surfaced. It was a complicated and riveting journey through her unusual life. I will not give away the ending. I will only say that it was in keeping with the whole story.

Safe in His Arms: Life Unexpected Book 1 by Melanie D.Sonitke. Light-weight Christian romance with the usual happy ending.

Pope Francis – Pastor of Mercy by Micheal J. Ruszala. A biography of the current Pope. This was a very skim the surface, looking at everything in the best possible light, kind of book. Other than providing some basic information on his training and prior positions, it did not provide any insights into the man.

Wanna Get Lucky – A Heartfelt Mystery by Deborah Coonts. Humorous mystery featuring a Las Vegas hotel consumer services manager, Lucky. It was not that well written. It is the first in a series and I got it for free as a two book set. I will not be reading the second book.

Catching up!

32. The Keep by F Paul Wilson
From Goodreads: "Something is murdering my men."

Thus reads the message received from a Nazi commander stationed in a small castle high in the remote Transylvanian Alps. And when an elite SS extermination squad is dispatched to solve the problem, the men find a something that's both powerful and terrifying. Invisible and silent, the enemy selects one victim per night, leaving the bloodless and mutilated corpses behind to terrify its future victims.

Panicked, the Nazis bring in a local expert on folklore―who just happens to be Jewish―to shed some light on the mysterious happenings. And unbeknownst to anyone, there is another visitor on his way―a man who awoke from a nightmare and immediately set out to meet his destiny.

The battle has begun: On one side, the ultimate evil created by man, and on the other...the unthinkable, unstoppable, unknowing terror that man has inevitably awakened.

Interesting mix of World War 2 fiction and horror. I enjoyed this and will continue with the series.

33. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
I picked this up when the TV show started on HULU. The history behind the story is fascinating but you have to google for that. The book is not what I expected and I loved it!

34. Two Good Dogs by Susan Wilson
This is a follow up to "One Good Dog" I loved that so I jumped on this when I saw it. It continues the story and is very good especially if you are a fan of dogs.

35. The Tomb by F Paul Wilson
This is the second of the Adversary series which starts with The Keep. It also introduces a character, Repairman Jack, who spins off into his own series. The main character "fixes" things if something demands justice. The books also deal with some horror/paranormal elements. I liked it.

36. Legacies (Repairman Jack #2) by F Paul Wilson
Another adventure which has ties to the first book but it's own plot and action. I can see that later on in the series I might find the supernatural aspects excessive.

37. Welcome to the World, Baby Girl by Fanny Flagg
This is the first of the Elmwood Springs Series dealing with all kinds of characters from Elmwwood Springs, MO. Now I have finished the series totally out of order but it didn't really matter. The series is enjoyable and you feel like all of the characters are your neighbors and friends.

38. Runner by Patrick Lee
From Goodreads: Sam Dryden, retired special forces, lives a quiet life in a small town on the coast of Southern California. While out on a run in the middle of the night, a young girl runs into him on the seaside boardwalk. Barefoot and terrified, she’s running from a group of heavily armed men with one clear goal—to kill the fleeing child. After Dryden helps her evade her pursuers, he learns that the eleven year old, for as long as she can remember, has been kept in a secret prison by forces within the government. But she doesn’t know much beyond her own name, Rachel. She only remembers the past two months of her life—and that she has a skill that makes her very dangerous to these men and the hidden men in charge.
This is the first of a series. Interesting enough, has a twist.

39. Fatal Error by JA Jance
Back to Ali Reynolds. This is #6 of that series. It is more of the same but I enjoy the characters and the plot is interesting.

40. The Guilty by David Baldacci
Will Robie #4. This was a little bit different from his previous Robie novels. Will goes back to his hometown to help his estranged father. Good plot, good action.

41. Conspiracies by F Paul Wilson
Repairman Jack #3. Starting to ramp up the supernatural aspect.

42. The Children's Crusade by Ann Packer
This was a novel about 4 children and their semi dysfunctional family. It is told by switching back and forth between their childhood and the present and separated into sections by the viewpoint of each child. I liked it but it didn't rivet you to the book.

43. A Wanted Man by Lee Child
Jack Reacher #17. I have read this before but it was just sitting there so I picked it up again. A good installment to the series.

44. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
I heard so many raves about this book I was really excited to read it. It did not live up to my expectations. It was ok. The best part for me was the very end.

45. 113 Minutes by James Patterson and Max DiLallo
This was a stand alone bookshot (short novela) that I listened to in the car, twice. I liked it. It was sort of a revenge story and keeps you interested. They insert a twist to a character, though, about 3/4 through that was just too convenient.

#48/80: Crime Stories by J.A. Konrath (3/5) (short stories)
I enjoyed a few, but I think there was a good reason some of them had not been previously published.

#49/80: The Hangman by Louis Penny (4/5) (Canadian murder mystery)
A short read with the Three Pines/Gamache gang. Not as well developed as the novels, but I love the characters!

You might want to look into bookbub. It is free to sign up and you can specify what type of books you like. Then every day they send an email with suggested books. Over the course of a week about 25% of the books are free. The others range from .99 to 3.99. I have been getting them for over three years and have never bought anything. If I am interested in a book, I click on the amazon link provided in the email and can read the summary and reviews and buy it for $0.00 and it is immediately delivered to my kindle fire. If there is a book that interests me but has a charge, I look the title up in my local library's website and if they have it, have it put on hold for me. I get an email from the library when it is put on the holds shelf with my name on it and then I have four days to go get it and check it out. It helps that I live across the street from the library.

Kindle Unlimited is nice too, if you use an e-reader (doesn't have to be a Kindle). It is $10/mo and is basically like Netflix for e-books. The selection is pretty good, though the browsing interface leaves a little something to be desired on my tablet (it is MUCH better using a browser than using the app), and I've never had any trouble finding something I want to read.

Back from fair week with a lot of updating to do!

31-36/100 - Jagged, Jax, Rane, Low, Wilder, and True by Vivian Lux

A series of "rockstar" romances that I found on Kindle Unlimited. These were all light, fun poolside reads, predictable and occasionally rushed in their resolution but ultimately enjoyable trashy romance novels. The characters are all interconnected, part of the same social circle, so while the stories each stand alone, the supporting cast is familiar characters that you already "know" from the other books in the series and the later books further develop the happily-ever-after lives of the mains in the early stories.

37/100 - Book of the Unnamed Midwife by Meg Elison

Dystopian/post-apocalyptic fiction in the same general vein as The Handmaid's Tale but without the authoritarian order, this story takes place in a post-plague world where women are far outnumbered by men due to differences in the mortality rate of the disease that killed most of the human population, and in which no babies are born alive. Not the most original premise - in many ways, the world was similar to that of the Dominion series by Joe Hart - but that didn't get in the way of this being a well-told story fraught with the uncertainties and unanswered questions of a world without the communications to which we are so accustomed.

38/100 - Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale

This one sucked me in right from the start. It was predictable at times - the villain appears every bit the villain, no surprise there! - but the characters and the way the story unfolded kept me reading into the wee hours of the morning. Much of the story exists in grey areas, people doing bad things for good reasons or with ulterior motives, and dealing with the messy fallout.

8/25 - Beautiful Joe by Marshall Saunders

I went back to my childhood reading this book. My son was going through some storage containers in his closet and found it. I remember really liking it as a child but not so much as an adult. It is good reading for a child, talks about being kind to animals.

Catching up!

37. Welcome to the World, Baby Girl by Fanny Flagg
This is the first of the Elmwood Springs Series dealing with all kinds of characters from Elmwwood Springs, MO. Now I have finished the series totally out of order but it didn't really matter. The series is enjoyable and you feel like all of the characters are your neighbors and friends.
My book club read this a couple of years ago and liked it. So much that a year or two later we read The All-Girl Filling Station's Reunion. We liked that even better. I have read a couple of her books and there's only been one that I didn't care for.

Got through a few more books over the weekend.

"Dive, Dive!" by Stan Smith - a short collection of WWII submariner encounters in the Pacific
"DeNiro's Game" by Rawi Hage - a jagged kaleidoscope of life in war-torn Beirut

#27 - Christmas Candy - Joanne Fluke. This is a novella at the end of the Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder. I read it on an e-reader, so I not sure how long it was but I am counting it has half just so I am at a full number.

#28 - Two Nights - Kathy Reichs (author of the Bones series).
Meet Sunday Night, a woman with physical and psychological scars, and a killer instinct. . . .

Sunnie has spent years running from her past, burying secrets and building a life in which she needs no one and feels nothing. But a girl has gone missing, lost in the chaos of a bomb explosion, and the family needs Sunnie’s help. Is the girl dead? Did someone take her? If she is out there, why doesn’t she want to be found?

It’s time for Sunnie to face her own demons—because they just might lead her to the truth about what really happened all those years ago.

#33 of 58, "Native Tongue" by Carl Hiaassen. It was a little more bizarre and out there than I remember his books being. So much was going on that I had a hard time keeping up sometimes.

#33 of 58, "Native Tongue" by Carl Hiaassen. It was a little more bizarre and out there than I remember his books being. So much was going on that I had a hard time keeping up sometimes.

Yeah, his books are really crazy but sooo funny!

#50/80: Low Tide (Forgotten Coast FL Suspense #1) by Dawn Lee Nelson (4/5)
I liked the character Maggie. It ended with a bit of a cliffhanger. I plan to read the next one.

Thanks to the DISer who suggested this series!

Welp, finished out the Louise Penny Inspector Gamache series. Since my last post, I've read:

3. A Trick of the Light
4. The Beautiful Mystery
5. How the Light Gets In
6. The Long Way Home
7. The Nature of the Beast
8. A Great Reckoning

Penny finished up an ongoing plot in the first few books. She had me worried for a couple of the characters, and I finally learned my suspicions were spot on about one event, but not correct in the why. I didn't enjoy the last couple of books nearly as much, but they were still good. The author's husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and she has naturally had a lot on her plate. I wish her all the best and look forward to see where she takes these fascinating characters.

Welp, finished out the Louise Penny Inspector Gamache series. Since my last post, I've read:

3. A Trick of the Light
4. The Beautiful Mystery
5. How the Light Gets In
6. The Long Way Home
7. The Nature of the Beast
8. A Great Reckoning

Penny finished up an ongoing plot in the first few books. She had me worried for a couple of the characters, and I finally learned my suspicions were spot on about one event, but not correct in the why. I didn't enjoy the last couple of books nearly as much, but they were still good. The author's husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and she has naturally had a lot on her plate. I wish her all the best and look forward to see where she takes these fascinating characters.

I LOVE this series! Her husband has since passed. I believe the next book is titled Glass Houses and comes out the end of August.

I LOVE this series! Her husband has since passed. I believe the next book is titled Glass Houses and comes out the end of August.

That's so sad! Inevitable, but still. I was jealous of all the people reviewing her latest already. Darn advance copies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter