Annual Reading Challenge--2020

#13/156 - Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim

I don't read much YA since my reader-daughter has gone off to college, but this one popped up on the featured page on Scribd and looked interesting enough to pick up. Billed as a gender-swapped retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo, the story centers around a young woman who was sold into indentured servitude as a child and has returned to her home city in a new identity, as a wealthy countess, to get revenge against those who profited from her labor and that of the other mistreated children on the ship. It was a quick, engaging read with interesting and likable characters and a plot too big to wrap up in one story, and I'm looking forward to picking up the sequel when it comes out.

#14 - Why We Can't Sleep by Ada Calhoun

Non-fiction about Gen X women as they face mid-life, this one was a bit of a miss for me. Some parts of the narrative, which wove together all of the social, economic and cultural forces that have put the women of this generation in a uniquely challenging position as they try to balance work, home and family with the expectations they were raised with, resonated deeply. Other parts seemed shallow and more than a little whiny. And taken as a whole, the book reinforced my inability to relate to the struggles of Gen X, to which I nominally belong.

#15 - Written on Your Skin by Meredith Duran

A rare miss by an author that is usually one of my go-tos for a light, romantic read. The story centers around a former spy who finds himself inheriting a title he never expected to claim and a woman who saved his life when he was on an assignment investigating her step-father, but neither of the characters was rendered in a particularly sympathetic way and the romance between them felt sort of lukewarm and at times mercenary, not the sort of overwhelming love-conquers-all story she usually weaves.

#16 - She Explores: Stories of Life-Changing Adventures on the Road and in the Wild by Gale Straub

A collection of short essays about travel, exploration and the outdoors, by women who have contributed to the blog/website of the same name, interspersed with photographs of some of the people and places written about, I had hoped for more from this. Most of the essays were short and to-the-point, not as reflective or narrative as I expected from the title, and could have done with more depth. But some stories were rather inspirational, and taken together, the book did a good job of spanning the range of unconventional ways that women are finding to interact with the larger world.

#17-18 - Heart of the Fae and Veins of Magic by Emma Hamm

A two-book series retelling of the Beauty and the Beast story, set in a world inspired by Celtic mythology where all manner of faeries populate the world, this was a really fun read that I didn't want to put down. The first book was stronger than the second, containing the heart of the classic fairy tale, but both were full of vivid descriptions and colorful characters and both adventure and romance. The series continues on with other fairy tale retellings centering around supporting characters in this story, and I've already downloaded the next one on Kindle to read when I get through the stack I picked up from the library this week.

10/30: Summer of 79 by Elin Hildebrand. This is just a short story, so I'm a little on the fence whether or not to count it, but I'm going to anyway. This is VERY readable, a nice update to her book Summer of 69, and nicely sets her up for a sequel that I certainly didn't expect. Quick read, engaging, and, as usual, she does a nice job of reminding the reader of who the characters are. 5/5.

#12/60
Broken Things by Lauren Oliver
It’s been five years since Summer Marks was brutally murdered in the woods.

Everyone thinks Mia and Brynn killed their best friend. That driven by their obsession with a novel called The Way into Lovelorn the three girls had imagined themselves into the magical world where their fantasies became twisted, even deadly.
The only thing is: they didn’t do it.
On the anniversary of Summer’s death, a seemingly insignificant discovery resurrects the mystery and pulls Mia and Brynn back together once again. But as the lines begin to blur between past and present and fiction and reality, the girls must confront what really happened in the woods all those years ago—no matter how monstrous.

I really wanted to like this one better than I did, but truthfully, was glad when I finished it.

Question?

Has anyone in the group read 'House of Leaves' ?

I don't know if I saw it mentioned here or not but have seen it on some other 'must read' lists.
I've read big/long books before but have heard this one is more complex, difficult to get through.
I just picked it up at the library & not really sure if I want to start reading it just now.
Guess I'll start it, read another lighter book also to take a break & probably have to renew it several times, lol.

7/30 - True Places by Sonja Yoerg

A girl emerges from the woods, starved, ill, and alone…and collapses.

Suzanne Blakemore hurtles along the Blue Ridge Parkway, away from her overscheduled and completely normal life, and encounters the girl. As Suzanne rushes her to the hospital, she never imagines how the encounter will change her—a change she both fears and desperately needs.

Suzanne has the perfect house, a successful husband, and a thriving family. But beneath the veneer of an ideal life, her daughter is rebelling, her son is withdrawing, her husband is oblivious to it all, and Suzanne is increasingly unsure of her place in the world. After her discovery of the ethereal sixteen-year-old who has never experienced civilization, Suzanne is compelled to invite Iris into her family’s life and all its apparent privileges.

But Iris has an independence, a love of solitude, and a discomfort with materialism that contrasts with everything the Blakemores stand for—qualities that awaken in Suzanne first a fascination, then a longing. Now Suzanne can’t help but wonder: Is she destined to save Iris, or is Iris the one who will save her?

I read this book through Amazon Prime Reading. I have mixed feelings about it. Parts of the book seemed slow and disconnected, but I was absorbed in other parts. Overall, it was a pretty good read.

1/25- The Island Of Sea Women by Lisa See- Historical fiction. Very interesting, love learning about different cultures. I've read quite a few of her books. This is definitely not a beach read!

2/25- Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson- Travel writing. Hilarious book about traveling around England. I thought it was appropriate since my husband and I will be taking a trip there in June.

3/25- Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig- Self help book, very easy to read. I finished it in one day. Helpful to those of us who suffer from depression and anxiety.
Read the Bill Bryson book based on your post. :flower3:

2/40 - Chatham School Affair by Thomas Cook -Attorney Henry Griswald has a secret: the truth behind the tragic events the world knew as the Chatham School Affair, the controversial tragedy that destroyed five lives, shattered a quiet community, and forever scarred the young boy. Layer by layer, in The Chatham School Affair, Cook paints a stunning portrait of a woman, a school, and a town in which passionate violence seems impossible...and inevitable.

3/40 - The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman - A remarkable new voice in American fiction enchants readers with a moving and uplifting novel that celebrates the miracle of life. In The Midwife of Hope River, first-time novelist Patricia Harmon transports us to poverty stricken Appalachia during the Great Depression years of the 1930s and introduces us to a truly unforgettable heroine. Patience Murphy, a midwife struggling against disease, poverty, and prejudice—and her own haunting past—is a strong and endearing character that fans of the books of Ami McKay and Diane Chamberlain will take into their hearts, as she courageously attempts to bring new light, and life, into an otherwise cruel world.

4/40 - Long Bright River by Liz Moore - In a Philadelphia neighborhood rocked by the opioid crisis, two once-inseparable sisters find themselves at odds. One, Kacey, lives on the streets in the vise of addiction. The other, Mickey, walks those same blocks on her police beat. They don't speak anymore, but Mickey never stops worrying about her sibling. Then Kacey disappears, suddenly, at the same time that a mysterious string of murders begins in Mickey's district, and Mickey becomes dangerously obsessed with finding the culprit--and her sister--before it's too late. Alternating its present-day mystery with the story of the sisters' childhood and adolescence, Long Bright River is at once heart-pounding and heart-wrenching: a gripping suspense novel that is also a moving story of sisters, addiction, and the formidable ties that persist between place, family, and fate.

I enjoyed all these books.

MJ

3/12 Dance Hall of the Dead by Tony Hillerman, the second of his Navajo mysteries.

I was originally going to do a challenge that someone had posted here last year with different types of books. I started with a book published the year I was born, Hillerman's first book. The Blessing Way. I had a bunch of books laid out to read, but I'm finding myself getting sucked into his universe. Hillerman is so descriptive in his writing that it really makes you feel like you're actually there.

So I will continue my journey through the Navajo Nation with the next in the series, Listening Woman.

AllenFane

11/30: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling: This was part of the reading challenge I'm doing with friends. It is not something I would have picked up on my own, and I wouldn't recommend it. It's pretty much the random musings of one of the writers of The Office. It's humorous, but I couldn't really find a point to the book. Readable, but...why? 2/5, only because it is funny and readable, and I have definitely read worse.

12/30: Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. I want to like Jodi Picoult books. She gets such good reviews. But this is the second book I've read by her, and there are still much better books on the market. In this one, I loved the characters, and although slow at times, I didn't mind the story until the last 5 or 10 pages. The ending came out of nowhere and it is not "majestic" as described elsewhere. It's a "what was she thinking" kind of ending. 3/5. Probably no more Jodi Picoult for me.

12/30: Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult. I want to like Jodi Picoult books. She gets such good reviews. But this is the second book I've read by her, and there are still much better books on the market. In this one, I loved the characters, and although slow at times, I didn't mind the story until the last 5 or 10 pages. The ending came out of nowhere and it is not "majestic" as described elsewhere. It's a "what was she thinking" kind of ending. 3/5. Probably no more Jodi Picoult for me.
I understand. I was infuriated by My Sisters Keeper. I swore her off, then I was pressed to read the Storyteller. It was better but I enjoy other authors more and will not seek her out.

#2 The Murder List by Hank Phillippi Ryan
Not a bad legal thriller. Multiple POVs, but fairly easy to maintain focus. It also jumps around a little in time ,but that too didn't make me dizzy. The book started a little slow but it picked up after the beginning.

If anyone is interested in reading any of my works. I would gladly send a kindle gift versions of any of them: “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”.
You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads (Click on link to view books). If you are interested in reading any of them please message me here or at Goodreads.

Last edited:
I feel the same. I muddled thru one of her books (can't remember which one) & don't care to try another.

10/75 - Defensive Zone: Bianca Sommerland (Dartmouth Cobras Book 2)

The team's owner gives control to his youngest daughter - a film starlet - and she falls for the team's GM and the goalie. Fun like book 1.

6/25- Big Sky by Kate Atkinson- Jackson Brodie series #5. I enjoyed the book, had a few twists and turns. It jumped around a little too much for my liking so was confusing at times. I've read almost all of her books now.

7/25- Such A Fun Age by Kiley Reid- This was interesting and different from what I normally read. I checked this out after looking for some ideas from Reese's Book Club, lol. I liked the author's writing style, was very easy to read in two days. Deals with racial stereotypes.

Cool. Can’t believe I missed this before. I take it we start a list and then update as we go on?

Goal is 50 books this year.

So far:

1. Alex Scarrow’s Plague Land.
2. Alex Scarrow’s Plague Land: Reborn.
3. Alex Scarrow’s Plague Lane: No Escape.

Quick review: obviously given the current news this is an interesting choice but I actually enjoyed this series. Part dystopian apocalyptic series, part sci-fi, this teen YA series is engrossing and satisfying.

4.Nancy Isenberg's White Trash. The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America

This is an important retelling of US history with a focus on the impacts of socioeconomic status and how it has been a part of our history from the beginning of the country. Well the topic is important, and the information is well written, the book is very dense and takes a long time to work your way through.

5. Can We All Be Feminists edited by June Eric-Udorie.

A really interesting collection of essays which focus on the space necessary in the feminist movement to make a truly inclusionary and multicultural. This is for challenging, vital, and important to read.

and now moving on:

6. Covering: The Hidden Assault on Our Civil Rights by Kenji Yoshino.

He recently (last year) spoke to some folks I know at Disney about his work so it interested me. Both a personal memoir and a reflection on identity and how we as a society need to be more open to our true selves (and we need the law to support that). Good read.

7. The Writer’s Map: An Atlas of Imaginary Lands edited by Huw Lewis-Jones.

This is a beautiful book full of full color maps of imaginary and real places and with essays on the power of maps and map-making.

8. The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red edited by Joyce Reardon, Ph.D. (really written by Ridley Pearson).

This was the companion book to the 2001 tv miniseries by Stephen King called “Rose Red”. Presented as a “true” diary of her life at the mansion in Seattle (which becomes the haunted house of the series) the book is entertaining and a good read in its own.

8/30 - One Day at Disney by Bruce C. Steele

I think this book and the Disney+ documentary movie/series complement each other very well. I enjoyed reading about the different Disney employees, especially the parts about cast members at the parks. I found the stories of "everyday" people more compelling than those of the celebrities, but most of the stories were interesting. It was a pretty quick read since a lot of photos accompany the text.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter