Another Dining Plan Value Newbie Question

Dan1

DIS Veteran
DW and I are staying 3 days in the fall at Kidani. We have never done the DDP and are curious from others if it still makes economic / logistical sense.

We have no kids or friends staying with us; just us two. :)

From the Disney site, it appears that the cost of a DDP for a three night stay is $453.06 ($75.51 per person per night)
(1 table service + 1 counter service + 2 snacks + 1 refillable mug).

Yes, we like a glass of wine with lunch and with dinner when on vacation.

No, we don't plan on going to any 'fancy' restaurants on site requiring 2 table service credits.

Yes, we are Annual Pass and DVC owners (not Tables of Wonderland) so we would expect at least two of the three nights to already receive the 10% or 15% AP and DVC discounts on our meals.

So, what do you think? Is the DDP worth it?

Also, can we used any of the snack credits or counter service credits the morning of our departure, i.e., the 4th morning?

Many, many thanks all!

Credits are yours from the time you check-in until midnight of the day you check out, so you can use any credits you have left on your departure day.

The ONLY way to know if it's a good deal for you is to decide where you WANT to eat and check the menus. Do the math on a couple different entrees, desserts and any alcohol you think you may drink. Add the 6.5% sales tax to your totals. If the total for the two of you for what you WANT to eat and drink is less than the price of the DDP, then it's a good deal.

The addition of alcohol and the recent price increases have made the value of the DDP a little more in reach for a lot of people, but you have to do the math.

Honestly, it depends on what and where you plan to eat. I didn’t do it during my adult trips because I liked the flexibility of getting whatever I wanted. Last trip with my sister we ate at 3 TS, 1 CS, at least 4 lounges (which don’t take the DP), a few snacks, and a lot of adult beverages.

Try the dining calculator. It's not quite as accurate as adding everything up yourself since it uses averages but it's quicker. We only found that it made sense because we had 3 Disney kids and did a lot of character meals. Now that the oldest has aged out of the kids price, it doesn't make sense for us.

https://www.distripplanner.com

I make two schedules for meals for the trip:
One schedule where we would eat if we get the DDP
One schedule where we would eat if we don’t get the DDP.

The reason for this is I’ve found that if we get the DDP, we tend to pick the pricier restaurants. For instance, for one dinner, the DDP restaurant was Akershus, the OOP restaurant was Biergarten.

The next step is to do the math on the DDP schedule, and see if the DDP would save money on this schedule of restaurants. If not, then no DDP. If it would, then I go onto the next step.

Figure the cost of the OOP schedule.

Subtract the OOP schedule cost from the cost of the DDP.

Then I compare the OOP schedule with the DDP schedule, and decide whether the upgraded experience I would get with the DDP schedule is worth the difference in price I calculated.

It really depends on where you plan to go but I have found that the shorter the trip, the easier it is to make the DDP work WELL in your favor. I am doing a split stay on my next trip - 4 nights at VWL and 5 nights at the poly and I am also DVC/AP. When the storybook dining came out and I added it to my lineup I only had to shift a few things around to make the DDP worth it even with the discount.

We are doing on the DDP for TS: Crystal Palace Dinner (I moved this from later in the trip to our arrival day), Tusker House late lunch with RoL package, Storybook Dining at AP dinner and Ohana dinner. I moved via Napoli from earlier in the trip to later in the trip to pay OOP and that Epcot day we will spend at the Festival of the Arts using snack credits at the food booths. I have an ADR for BoG lunch and breakfast to use up 2 days worth of QS credits and we are planning to go to deluxe burger in DS one day and get a burger and gelato shakes which is also a pretty good value. Not super sure about the last QS but basically at this point we've broken even even with discounts and the last QS and all the snack credits are bonus.

For the 3 nights you could take the opportunity to try some of the more expensive 1TS meals.... the new storybook dining at AP is a great value and it would be a great time to try it. Coral Reef just introduced stuffed maine lobster to their menu... and the coral rita sounds right up my alley. In fact I am kind of wishing I could fit it in under the DDP now, lol. There are others that are good value where you can still basically come ahead and if you can score BoG lunch with a nice glass of wine, that's a great way to use a QS. There are also great options at Disney Springs as well.

The longer the trip is, the more fatigued from food you get and the harder it is to get good value from the plan. but in 3 days I might go for it and take the opportunity to try some things I might be more squeamish about paying for OOP. And yes you can use it on your last day... this is part of how I get more flexibility out of the DDP for a split stay myself... I have the whole "checkout day" still in the parks to use it.

Try the dining calculator. It's not quite as accurate as adding everything up yourself since it uses averages but it's quicker. We only found that it made sense because we had 3 Disney kids and did a lot of character meals. Now that the oldest has aged out of the kids price, it doesn't make sense for us.

This calculator is no longer anywhere near accurate. They never updated for the inclusion of alcohol and the most recent price increases are also not reflected. I think the creators have abandoned it.

I am a Dining Plan convert. We first experienced it with a free dining package. For that trip we were able to maximize our credits because my 2 littles split most meals. Couple that with a day at Universal we were able to cover BLD each day.

My husband and I experienced the Deluxe plan during a F&W trip. IT WAS A LOT OF FOOD but we did maximize our credits at several of the nice restaurants as well as the snack credits during F&W.

Last month we took the kids for Thanksgiving and repeated the split meals. I do keep track of ALL food totals before the credits are applied to the bill. Sometimes it is hard for us to spend all the snack credits during the week without having to cash them in at the gift shop before we leave.

Another thing to take into consideration is whether you can get some kind of special deal at the time your booked. We first booked without the dining plan, as all calculations led to us saving money (approx. $300 for the 5 of us). After the price hike, and recalculations, it was pretty even. The thing that swayed us was that Disney came out with a promotion for the dining plan package, lowering the daily price per adult to just over $60. At that price it was definitely worth it.
With meal calculations (and our plans leave out 3 QS credits pp), including the resort mugs, but before snacks & alcohol, we are already about to save close to $200 on our 7 day stay. That's worth it.:)

This calculator is no longer anywhere near accurate. They never updated for the inclusion of alcohol and the most recent price increases are also not reflected. I think the creators have abandoned it.

Ah, okay. That's too bad. It was useful back when we still considered the dining plan for each trip.

Just keep in mind, generally, the dining plans are not designed to save you money. It's possible but you have to run the numbers yourself. We would never pay out of pocket for it. I don't want to concern myself with tracking credits and what's included. We got it once, heavily discounted, and decided it would not work for us.

Just keep in mind, generally, the dining plans are not designed to save you money. It's possible but you have to run the numbers yourself. We would never pay out of pocket for it. I don't want to concern myself with tracking credits and what's included. We got it once, heavily discounted, and decided it would not work for us.

Generally, I agree with you.

However, with the inclusion of alcohol AND the recent price hikes (which were not small), it's become much easier to save money with ALL the dining plans. Everyone really needs to look at the menus, access their family's eating style, and DO THE MATH.

Generally, I agree with you.

However, with the inclusion of alcohol AND the recent price hikes (which were not small), it's become much easier to save money with ALL the dining plans. Everyone really needs to look at the menus, access their family's eating style, and DO THE MATH.

Interesting. Haven't been since 2016 and not again until after 2020, at least so I'm sure the dynamics will change 3 times by then. I agree, one has to do the math.

Interesting. Haven't been since 2016 and not again until after 2020, at least so I'm sure the dynamics will change 3 times by then. I agree, one has to do the math.

HAHA! Don't you wish you had a crystal ball for that?

I'm really surprised they haven't raised the prices on the DDP. They did quietly raise the price on the kids' plans, but still only by a dollar or less. The alcohol itself was a big game changer for those who drink. You've got $8-10 drinks at just about every QS and TS drinks are even more expensive. That's easily a $25 value per night. Use $5 for the two snacks, and an adult only has to spend $40 on their QS entree and TS entree/dessert. That's a no brainer.

I'm really surprised they haven't raised the prices on the DDP. They did quietly raise the price on the kids' plans, but still only by a dollar or less. The alcohol itself was a big game changer for those who drink. You've got $8-10 drinks at just about every QS and TS drinks are even more expensive. That's easily a $25 value per night. Use $5 for the two snacks, and an adult only has to spend $40 on their QS entree and TS entree/dessert. That's a no brainer.

For me it depends on the drink choices available. The beer selection is generally pretty poor. But if I'm at TS and can get a martini, I'm in. It became more interesting when I recently found out the QS dessert was gone. I did't really care about that.

Is the DDP worth it?
The dining plan is usually close in cost to paying OOP and really does not save you money it is more of a convenience to pre pay your meals. The only way you can say for sure if it is a significant savings is to do the math. Look at the WDW website, figure out what restaurants you want to dine at and plan out a sample of what you will order both at TS and QS restaurants. You can average in some snacks per day of say $5 each. You do get the refillable mug but often if you are planning more park time then you don't actually get much use out of the mug.

When you do your math factor in the AP or DVC discount (doesn't apply to alcohol) and see where you make out best. If it is close then i would lean towards using the AP/DVC discount. The reason i say this is because the dining plan usually is more food than you want with it including an entree and dessert and actually decreases flexibility. Paying OOP you would have the option to order a few apps and maybe split an entree. We also found keeping track of snack credits was a hassle or always having to check the menu to see what items/snacks are dining plan eligible.

One way you can save more than the dining plan is to purchase disney gift cards from target (with the target red card you get 5% off) then use those gift cards in combination with your discounts and you will make out better than the dining plan. Or if you just want to get the dining plan still buy discount gift cards to purchase the dining plan.

If you were a family with disney "children" and were doing a number of character meals then sometimes the math works in favor of the dining plan but most often it does not.

The alcohol only helps if you have all 21+ and/or 9- in your party. It makes the math worse when you start having Disney adults. It was already not great if you have 10+ yo kids who aren't ready to eat adult meals yet and now they're getting charged for alcohol they won't be drinking too. We're done with the dining plan for many years unless they create a young adult middle price range or non-alcohol option for kids. It worked for us a few years but not anymore.

Perhaps, in general. But OP who asked is an adult couple only. This doesn’t help them

We just went through this as we are DVC too. Past trip we did OOP and came out ahead but was a trip with no kiddo. This trip we will have the kid but at first said OOP. Well husband loves the dining plan because he feels he can get whatever he wants vs paying OOP. We always tend to try and save money and buy cheaper entrees even if its not what we really want. Well the little one a week ago asked if we were meeting princesses...umm no kid why did you not mention this till 1 month before lol. Well I was able to snag akershush which is pricey so was like what the heck why not just give in and do dining plan. A lot of the meals we are doing the child price is more expensive than the price per day for child on DDP so for us it worked out. Won't have to worry about budgeting. Its done. Can just enjoy and eat whatever we feel like.

Thank you for this; i never knew it existed.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter