Another GREAT trip!

WebmasterDoc

DIS Veteran
We are getting ready to head home in the morning, but wanted to share some of our fun on this trip.

We arrived on 1/10 at OKW for 4 nites. Had a good trip with DME and easy check-in at OKW. Our villa was in great shape. We were in building 24 - 2nd floor, 1BR villa with a nice view of the golf course.

We enjoyed dining at LeCellier, Coral Reef (twice), Fultons (twice - the 30% DVC discount for lunch is too much to pass up), Narcoosee's and California Grille (tonite).

All of the dining experiences were great and the DDE saved us about $150 for these meals. We were originally reserved for DDP, but cancelled that after doing the math based on the way we enjoy dining. No way we would have broken even with DDP.

Last Sunday we checked into an exchange at Vistana. Our unit is great and very convenient to WDW. We did get a rental since we had a need for transportation in the area. Drove to Ft. Myers on Monday and into WDW each day - usually twice each day.

We enjoyed meeting Caskbill (and his DW, Peg, and brother DVC John) for lunch this week and met with jdvm - owner of Owner's Locker. It's always great to put faces to names from the boards. Lot's of good conversation.

Tonite, we had a WONDERFUL dining experience at California Grille. We allowed our server, Karl, to suggest wines and were not disappointed at all. We had a window table and enjoyed Wishes near the end of our meal. The construction crews were still working at CR this evening - surprising for a Sat. It's obvious they are still doing interior demolition on the North Wing. There are a number of holes punched in some of the rooms - I think it looks like asbestos removal - but no sign of any structural demolition. (Stay Tuned! ;) )

We did take the "sales" tour at Vistana on Tuesday. Not very high pressure. Our rep was very nice and not pushy at all. We spent about an hour with the presentation and got a "reward" of $50 (cash) for our time. A week at Vistana is selling for $23,900 with annual fees of $1058. With the week you also get some "bonus" Starwood Points and a "Starwood Gold Card". We did have some interesting opportunities to educate our rep about DVC.

We have been packing our Owner's Locker box tonite. They will pick it up at Vistana and deliver it back to us for our next trip. We surprised ourselves with what we have packed inside. Salt/Pepper, coffee, tea, pizza pan, pizza cutter, aspirin, deodorant, shaving lotion, shampoo, body lotion, razors, shirts, jeans, shorts, socks, pencils, paper, erasers, area map, nail file, nail clipper, sun lotion, ear drops, jacket, pliers, screwdrivers, reading glasses, soaps, toothpaste, toothbrushes, floss, seasonings, dish soap, laundry soap and several other items will all be waiting for us on our next trip. The box was waiting at check in at OKW and the Bell Staff brought it to our room.

We also purchased groceries from GardenGrocer and that again worked very well. They brought them about 20 minutes after we checked in at OKW.

The parks have been busier than usual for this time of the year. It's nice to see Disney busy, but it does change our park habits. We found a need to get going a little earlier in the AM and get out in the afternoon.

Weather has been great. Temps have ranged from about 70 - 82 - no rain. It will be tough to go back to snow and 25 tomorrow. :(

Sounds great! We enjoyed our time at Vistana last christmas, but the sales presentation was high pressure and downright obnoxious. Actually, noxious. However our 2BR was beautiful.

But it wasn't "home."

Thanks for the great trip report! Glad to hear you had really nice weather, too. Do you think it was more crowded because it is so cold everywhere else so everyone goes to Orlando?

Did you stay at Vistana Resort or Villages? Just curious. How did the units compare to OKW?

We were at Vistana Resort this trip - but have stayed at Vistana Villages in the past. The units are very nice - 2BR units are about 1400 sq ft and are exquisitely appointed - although we are in an older section this trip and the rooms are pretty basic. Each one has a screened-in porch. The kitchen is not as nice as OKW and the jacuzzi is very small. The w/d are stackable models too. The resorts - both of them - have good amenities and are an easy drive into WDW - but we still miss the easy access from onsite resorts and the theming at the DVC resorts. There is a "ticket" desk at the resort to assist with admission to Theme Parks, shows etc, but we felt they were fairly high pressure with their approach (until we told them we already have APs).

We've come at this time for years now and the parks were much busier than years past. Still not a lot of school-age kids, but lots of little ones and lots of foreign tour groups.

I'm glad to read what a nice time you had!

We enjoyed a short MLKjr weekend visit but couldn't bring ourselves to get up early to get to the parks even though we knew they were crowded. We too were off site, and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

Bobbi:goodvibes :cold: (first real snow of the season here today!)

Thanks for checking in! I feel your pain regarding the snow and cold temps. as we're just thawing out from a snowstorm in the Pacific Northwest. Kids ended up with three snow days which is really unusual for our area. Oh how I wish I was in sunny Florida!

Glad to hear you had a good time. BTW, could you bring some of that warm weather northward?

As always a great trip report!! I will be there in about 12 days for my Moms weekend and can't wait!!!!!!

Sounds like a lovely trip Doc! Thanks so much for sharing with us...

Glad to hear you had a great trip! Seeing your dining list reminded me to book Coral Reef for our upcoming trip In May! We just love the atmosphere at the Coral Reef!

Glad you had a wonderful trip, Doc!

I have to tell you that I just returned from OKW and I told DH that it would be GREAT if WDW would rent DVC owners a locker to stuff personal stuff in in between visits. I keep a bad packed but what a pain making room for this stuff in my suitcase every trip! I thought it was a wonderful idea and DH did too but he commented that space is probably an issue for that sort of thing.

Lo and behold, someone has thought of it already and you used it with good luck! I think it is a great idea and will be checking into it too! How wonderful that someone took a *great idea* and made it happen. I wish them great success!!

Glad you had another great trip, Rob! While you were enjoying WDW, we were taking in Disneyland! Not sure the crowds and facilities there will warrant a DVC resort there in the near future, but it was fun to see "where it all began" again.

So when do you return to our favorite place? We will next be at OKW the begining of May.

I forgot to mention that we bought a bicycle-length combinaton lock to put on the locker box. There are two openings in the lid on one end that would accept a lock (it does need to be an extended length lock though as a regular padlock would not be long enough to fit thru the lip of the box). There is a provided quick-tie seal - with a registration number - to use to close the box also and we used both the combination lock and the seal. I don't really think the lock was necessary, but the peace of mind is reassuring.

Glad you enjoyed DL, Diane. We need to get back there sometime - we went lots of times when we lived in CA years ago, but not much recently.

Our next return to OKW won't happen for another couple of weeks! ;)

Great trip report. Good idea to go with the wine suggestions. I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful time and fantastic weather!

Glad you had such a great trip, thanks for reporting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter