Another 'rookie' question from a new owner : )

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
Let's say you own at 2 resorts (we'll say for example BLT and Vero Beach). you make ONE ressie at BLT at 11 months and then at 7 months you try to use other non-home points (Vero) that you waitlisted (you try this strategy to save your preferred BLT 'home' resort points). IF you are successful, and you have enough time BEFORE the UY, and the BLT points go back, can they (the BLT points) then be banked into the future year? Also can points be banked MORE than 1 year into the future? Thanks!

If I understand you correctly you want to swap BLT points for Vero points on a reservations made 11 months out at BLT.

Member services are not allowed to swap the points as the reservation is made 11 months out. You could try and waitlist the same reservation using your Vero points and if it comes through you can cancel your reservation which uses the BLT points.

If the WL comes through before the banking deadline ends then the points can be banked (assuming you have not borrowed points)

Points can only be banked once and only when your UY is started.

Depending on the time of year and desired length of stay, odds are pretty good that you would be able to get a lake view room right at 7 months. If this is the case, you could grab the reservation using Vero points and then drop and bank the BLT points. This of course is assuming you still have time to bank those points. They would then be good until the end of the following use year. This method is possible, but not recommended, as you are hoping that the place you want to stay is still available. If you have not bought in yet, I would only buy at places that you would consider 'preferred'.
Points can only be banked for one year.

If I understand you correctly you want to swap BLT points for Vero points on a reservations made 11 months out at BLT.

Member services are not allowed to swap the points as the reservation is made 11 months out. You could try and waitlist the same reservation using your Vero points and if it comes through you can cancel your reservation which uses the BLT points.

If the WL comes through before the banking deadline ends then the points can be banked (assuming you have not borrowed points)

Points can only be banked once and only when your UY is started.
Thanks Cyber. So basically they will not allow a 'swap' of points (where you cancel the 11 month ressie, then use 'cheaper' 7 month points to fill it in). I suppose thats only fair; otherwise why should people pay for the home resort privilege on more expensive contracts.

However if I understand you, If I was simply 'lucky' and was able to waitlist or find an open studio at BLT at the 7 month makr (highly unlikely I know, but possible) I COULD book with the Vero points and then (assuming I had 4+ months for banking time) bank the BLT points into the next year, correct?

Depending on the time of year and desired length of stay, odds are pretty good that you would be able to get a lake view room right at 7 months. If this is the case, you could grab the reservation using Vero points and then drop and bank the BLT points. This of course is assuming you still have time to bank those points. They would then be good until the end of the following use year. This method is possible, but not recommended, as you are hoping that the place you want to stay is still available. If you have not bought in yet, I would only buy at places that you would consider 'preferred'.
Points can only be banked for one year.
Yeah, you answered just as I replied to Cyber. Thanks a lot Ben!

Thanks Cyber. So basically they will not allow a 'swap' of points (where you cancel the 11 month ressie, then use 'cheaper' 7 month points to fill it in). I suppose thats only fair; otherwise why should people pay for the home resort privilege on more expensive contracts.

However if I understand you, If I was simply 'lucky' and was able to waitlist or find an open studio at BLT at the 7 month makr (highly unlikely I know, but possible) I COULD book with the Vero points and then (assuming I had 4+ months for banking time) bank the BLT points into the next year, correct?
Actually they will ONLY allow a cancel and rebook, meaning there is a chance you will loose your original reservation if someone have same dates waitlisted as you canceled.. Had you made the reservation within the 7 month window then member services could have swapped the points without doing a cancel and rebook.

Yes if your WL came though 4+ months for banking time you could bank your BLT points.

That's why if you really have favorite resorts and you really want to stay there every other year, buy both and make them your home resorts, no hoping, no waitlist, no disappointment.

:earsboy: Bill

Yes, you can't swap the points in that way...and that's the right way to do it.

Now, if there's still rooms available at 7 months, you could book a room with the VB points, and then cancel the room with the BLT points and bank them (if there was still time, which at 7 months out is pretty likely). But this really isn't any different then booking at your home resort, and then booking at a different resort and canceling your home resort.

And your other question was already answered, but you can only bank points one year. And you have to bank them within the first 8 months of your use year.

Let's say you own at 2 resorts (we'll say for example BLT and Vero Beach). you make ONE ressie at BLT at 11 months and then at 7 months you try to use other non-home points (Vero) that you waitlisted (you try this strategy to save your preferred BLT 'home' resort points). IF you are successful, and you have enough time BEFORE the UY, and the BLT points go back, can they (the BLT points) then be banked into the future year? Also can points be banked MORE than 1 year into the future? Thanks!

Yes, you can do it that way.

If the BLT points were bankable (ie, current) and it all happened before the close of the banking window then you can bank them. Points can only be banked once and must be used in the UY they are banked into or they will expire.

The other discussion was if you simply tried to have MS switch the points out at 7 months but booking a new reservation and no, that can't be done. But using VB points for a BLT room can be done - whether it happened right at 8am at 7 months or later via the waitlist will work to use the VB points in your example.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter