Another where to stay question...1st time to WDW

mulberrybush

Mouseketeer
I know there are about 20 of these threads per week but I have a small twist:

We just bought DVC and have been to WDW many times prior to that. My brother has not been since he was in grade school and my sil has never been. We are planning a trip with them next fall. We will have two 4yo's and two 2yo's. I know the conventional wisdom is to stay at a resort near a park with great theming and easy transpo for 1st timers...

They live very near the ocean city boardwalk and go to a beach resort in NC every year, so I think the Epcot resorts would be too ordinary for them (otherwise bwv or bcv would be a great choice). I LOVE the feel and location of the CR/BLT but the theming isn't all that "disney".

I was thinking animal kingdom but that is such a long bus ride. The treehouses would be fun but transpo is difficult (but we would have cars). Ssr has great pools for those ages but again - transpo. It seems like by the time you drive and park at TTC, tram to the monorail and then mono to a park, you've just spent as long as the bus wait/ride takes - am I wrong on that?

I realize everyone has their favorites and different priorities but I would love any advice/experiences/thoughts that would help me make this decision.

Stay close to the park you intend to visit most often. First timers will love any resort.

If MK is your choice, stay at VWL, not beachy and rich in theming.

:earsboy: Bill

We just bought DVC and have been to WDW many times prior to that. My brother has not been since he was in grade school and my sil has never been. We are planning a trip with them next fall. We will have two 4yo's and two 2yo's. I know the conventional wisdom is to stay at a resort near a park with great theming and easy transpo for 1st timers...

They live very near the ocean city boardwalk and go to a beach resort in NC every year, so I think the Epcot resorts would be too ordinary for them (otherwise bwv or bcv would be a great choice). I LOVE the feel and location of the CR/BLT but the theming isn't all that "disney".

I was thinking animal kingdom but that is such a long bus ride. The treehouses would be fun but transpo is difficult (but we would have cars). Ssr has great pools for those ages but again - transpo. It seems like by the time you drive and park at TTC, tram to the monorail and then mono to a park, you've just spent as long as the bus wait/ride takes - am I wrong on that?

I realize everyone has their favorites and different priorities but I would love any advice/experiences/thoughts that would help me make this decision.

I think animal kindgom lodge is a great place for first time visitors (kid-wise). They don't have any expectations as far as how close the parks are. And they get to enjoy the animals. We stayed at AKL-Kidani this past Feb. as our first on-site stay and first family WDW visit. It was a hit. No one complained about the bus rides and the kids usually napped on the buses on the way "home." BLT was our first choice, but it wasn't available, and we're glad our second choice was available. If going back to the room for naps is a priority, then I wouldn't recommend AKL. But our little ones just napped in their stroller at the parks. I would recommend if you take the buses back to AKL, that you make it a priority to get a seat for the little ones (and/or a seat for the adult holding the little one), even if it means waiting for the next bus.

I would have to agree with Bill. With children that age you are likely to spend lots of time if MK. Getting back to your resort for downtime/swim time will be essential. BLT is by far the easiest resort to go back and forward to, but if you are looking for great Disney theming then you will not go wrong with WL.

Having said all that AKV has a real wow factor is less points if you don't go for SV and the travelling is not that bad. You also get an extra bathroom (At BLT too). This can be a really useful when travelling in a large group.

BLT offers the convenience of walking to MK, which is nice when you have strollers. Getting to the other parks is not as convenient, but doable. There are lots of restaurants which are easy to get to. The pool is a little bland, but has the zero entry, which is nice with kids that age. The splash area is so-so, but 2 and 4 year des would love it. The 2BR at BLT have 3 full baths, which may come in handy with a group your size.

Our personal fave is Kidani. Again, 3 full bath. Amazing zero clearance pool and amazing splash area. Those kids would go nuts watching the animals from the balcony. Transportation is really quite good. The bus stops at Kidani first, and is generally empty. It the goes to Jambo and then off to the park. Strollers and buses are kind of a pain, but you can't escape that reality at WDW. The ride to the parks always seem quick to us, with the exception of coming back to AKV after Wishes on a full bus. The dining options are a little more limited at AKV, and there is not a counter service at Kidani. You have to take a bus or shuttle or walk to Jambo for CS.

When you say next fall, do you mean Fall 2013 or Fall 2104? Fall 2013 can be hard to get now for any of the Epcot resorts. And they are hard to get at seven months out if you don't own there.

Whatever you do, go ahead and book your home resort as soon as you can. Then at seven months out, see if you can swap to another resort.

When you say next fall, do you mean Fall 2013 or Fall 2104? Fall 2013 can be hard to get now for any of the Epcot resorts. And they are hard to get at seven months out if you don't own there.

Whatever you do, go ahead and book your home resort as soon as you can. Then at seven months out, see if you can swap to another resort.

Sept 2014. I will plan to book home resort at 11mths. Kidani or Jambo?

I agree that any resort is great for a WDW first-timer and I also think that everyone has their favorites - but I wouldn't rule out BLT, even though the theming is not as obvious. We stayed there last trip and were surprised at how much we loved the convenience of using the monorail and having the MK and EP so easily accessible. I also thought that the resort did have its own special look and feel. I felt like I was in Disney.

We stayed at the THV and AKV last October and didn't haven't transportation issues. We relied on Disney transportation the entire time and it was great. AKV is not far at all. It's not the closest resort but I wouldn't call it far by any means.

I think the kids would love sleeping in a treehouse, mine did and they are 16, 14, and 11.

We are OKW lovers, but also love Kidani. W/ kiddos that age, it might be a good choice. I think that bus ride gets an unreasonably bad reputation, and we've never had bad bus service from there. The pools are lovely for small children as is the ability to see the animals. Let us know what you decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter