Any Advice for a Minimalist Camper?

so, our 30’ TT with kids packing 3 bags of toys wasn’t minimalist? I should really explain this to my kids.

I thought our 12' popup was minimalist, until you put 3 kids and their camping gear in it... We have too much crap. Although ,even when hubs and I primitive camped, we had bikes and gear and a stove LOL.

Cy- we need photos and updates. This is awesome!

I've tent camped solo twice now in Aug/Sep...once in my MSR Hubba coffin and another in a palatial Copper Spur complete with power extension cord running into my tent.

You will definitely want sand stakes and a shovel, an extra floor tarp because the intense thunderstorms might flood your campsite with several inches of rain for many hours or days if you are unlucky (I was really impressed at how the water did not seep through the CS at the beginning of the flood), a lock for your tent (from your luggage should work), a trash bag for your gear during the daytime (again, because of site flooding if you really want to make sure something stays dry) that can be used if you need to pack up and your tent is still wet and sandy, a plastic bag if you plan to recharge your electronics in the rain (the campsite outlets have a cover but you will need a bag to put your electronics in, shower soap and deodorant (the Fort doesn't provide any and even if you are ok smelling, other guests in the park don't want to smell you), and a smell-proof bag if you plan on keeping any food in your campsite.

I brought an insulated water bottle and filled it with free ice daily in the park so I could have cold water at the campground. The bathrooms have a chilled water fountain in the laundry room.

Bike is somewhat unnecessary imo as the bus stop is near the tent sites and goes everywhere unless you just want to enjoy biking around. Hopefully you can arrange to pick up a brain bucket along with the bike. If not I would suggest carrying your emergency contact info and a copy of your living will. A bike lock is a must at the Fort since bike theft is a huge issue there.

I'm assuming you already have laundry/drying/gear lines set up in the loft of your tent.

I leave my rain fly rolled up and mostly off when I'm inside until the weather app on my phone alerts me that rain is coming and then I close up...no need for a fan. Waking up to the sunlight filtering through the pines and watching the squirrels, birds, and turkeys while snacking on breakfast is much more enjoyable than rushing off to a QS for food and drink. The breeze at night is refreshing also and at some tent sites the MK fireworks can be seen.

If you are a light sleeper, earplugs are a must. Many campers in the "tent" loop bring noisy air conditioners that run all night or have tvs and radios playing loudly outside at all hours. Typical campground noise but much noisier than the backcountry.

I still consider my first trip minimalist since everything fit into a carry-on (checked though due to tent poles and stakes plus it was cheaper), but I still brought my inflatable sleeping pad and pillow. I bring almost all my own food too which leaves room for souvenirs. The critters left it alone since I always had it sealed up in the smell-proof bag.

The picnic table is metal and nice in case you don't want to bring a chair. The mosquitos and ants can make sitting outside unpleasant at times (another reason for a sleeping pad).

Pretty sure a CC is required to do laundry these days. Again, no one wants to smell you if you are wearing one outfit the entire week so either plan on hand washing your clothes or paying for a washing machine. There is a large laundry tub in the laundry room but I don't think it has a plug. Their vending machine detergent is powder I think. I bring my own since hand washing with liquid is easier.

Most other guests will think you are nuts if you mention you are tent camping in Sep but Ive enjoyed it as much as staying at the more luxurious resorts. Going minimal saves so much time and effort and the price is right when traveling solo.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!