Any advice for US Singapore and Legoland Malaysia?

viaggiamo

Mouseketeer
Hi,

in July we are off to Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand for a month. Our children are 10 and 7yo and have been to Disneyland a few times.

We want to go to US Singapore and have booked Legoland for 2 nights at the Legoland Hotel.

I would love any tips, advice, food recommendations, other stuff that you are willing to share.

Thanks

V

US Singapore was/is great! We went there in 2014, and I enjoyed it way more than US Los Angeles. It isn't a working studio (I don't think), like the LA version, but has heaps of rides for all age groups. The park itself is upstairs if arriving by taxi.

We found the easiest way to get there was via taxi. When we left, we went back down to the taxi area and it was an amazing sight on its own. Hundreds (thousands?) of taxis going through non stop like a well oiled machine.

US is located on Sentosa Island, which has quite a few tourist attractions. I can also recommend the Aquarium, which is located about a 10 minute walk from the gates of US. The Hard Rock Cafe is also located in the complex, if you're looking for something to eat.

I thought the best way to get to US Singapore was to take the train to the big shopping centre (forget it's name) right by the boardwalk to get to Sentosa Island. Not sure if you've been to Singapore before, but their train system is cheap, easy and fast, even if you have to change lines. You can either walk across the boardwalk or take the cable car, which are both fun things to do in their own right. I believe there is also a monorail, but we haven't tried that out.

As far as food, we found the prices very highly inflated Sentosa wide, and really struggled to find anywhere suitable. We really just wanted a street food type place. The closest we found was a little food court/market type thing just outside US. I don't think we ate at US itself as it was far too expensive.

We found Sentosa a little too touristy generally, and really just went for US. There's plenty to do on the island though, just depends on what your family enjoys (and it's all pretty expensive). There are a couple of night time shows that we never stayed for, although we did see some fireworks from the boardwalk one night which was kind of cool.

At US, be aware that you have to put your stuff in a locker (or keep with a non-riding friend) before riding The Mummy. Even in Singapore, this causes a little chaos. I recommend doing this ride early. From memory, everything else was ok. There's a good range of attractions for different ages, although for us we were done before the end of the day. We spent the extra time going up to the lookout on our return trip on the cable car.

Outside of Sentosa, the best places we found to eat are the food court/marketplace style places. You can expect to pay about AUD $2 for a full size meal with a couple of extras (soup etc). It's a wonderful place to eat!

Don't know anything about LEGOLAND sorry.

My March 2016 HKDL Anniversary TR (link in my sig) has some information about Thailand. It's probably not the place you're going to or the style you're travelling in, but it's there if you want to take a look. I think I did a TR on our other Thailand trip too - I'll see if I can find it as it might be more useful for you.

Ok I found the following TRs that you may find useful. Some of them have had the photos disabled. I'll see if I can fix this up but no promises lol!

Short & Sweet Thailand TR - Ayutthaya (ancient capital), Pak Chong (for Khao Yai National Park), Phimai (Angkor style temples), Chiang Mai (visit with friends)
Pixie Dusted in SE Asia TR - Singapore and KL, you probably won't be interested in the Cambodia or Vietnam sections
Cup Weekend in Singapore - Singapore only, including US

Thanks guys. Great information. We have been to Singapore before, but once was pre-kids and last time we were only there for two nights transiting to Thailand.

Now the DC are older we will go to Universal Studios for the rides.

Thanks for the links Zanzibar138..off to read..(i have read your Thailand trip before, but we are pretty familiar with Thailand as this will be our 12th trip, we love it!)

V xo

Thanks guys. Great information. We have been to Singapore before, but once was pre-kids and last time we were only there for two nights transiting to Thailand.

Now the DC are older we will go to Universal Studios for the rides.

Thanks for the links Zanzibar138..off to read..(i have read your Thailand trip before, but we are pretty familiar with Thailand as this will be our 12th trip, we love it!)

V xo

Oh, you can probably give me tips then ;)

We just got back from Singapore, loved it. such a clean, safe beautiful city. We didn't do US but did go over to sentosa, as we had done US California a few times and also US Orlando, I thought we might be disappointed (I am not a fan of the big rides) so we went to the aquarium instead. We took a taxi there from our resort (we stayed at Marina Bay Sands) and it cost less than $15, we then took the subway back. The subway is very easy to use, the system makes sense. You can get a tourist pass that is cheaper but we ended up doing single trips that we just topped up - it was cheaper for us that way. We also did the cable car, which was a little pricey but worth it just for the experience. I found walking around the outside area of US on Sentosa very similar to walking around inside of US California and Orlando.
Another must do in Singapore is the gardens by the Bay. They are amazing - and I am not a plant person at all but walking around The cloud was beautiful and the night time show was spectacular. I didn't go in the flower dome as I having sinus problems and new I would get a headache after 1 min in there.

My husband is a fussy eater with stomach problems so to keep it safe he lived off subway while we were there, and they were everywhere we went so it was easy for him.

If you had been before you have probably done all the other touristy stuff. Have a wonderful time, and look forward to hearing what you thought of it.

Thank you Tashinwdw for your information. We are looking forward to going again and doing fum stuff now our children are older. xo

Really just second all Zanzibar had to say on US Singapore. The boardwalk and the cable car are both very pretty ways to get over to Sentosa rather than taxi the whole way. US Sentosa is small - easy to do in a short day but it is pretty and well done with some nice details. We found it pretty quiet especially in the morning til after lunch. Food options were pretty average. Only ever been to KL in Malaysia and not Thailand so can't give you any comments there.

I live in Singapore. Still have an annual pass to Universal Studios at the moment (though I think I last went in January)!

I typically take the MRT train to Harbourfront station, then walk across the boardwalk to Universal Studios. It's maybe a 10-15 minute walk, most of which is sheltered, with a good part having travellators. It's also free to walk across the boardwalk, as opposed to taking the monorail (Sentosa Express) which is a couple of dollars I think. It's been many many years since I took the cable car. I think the cable car station may be a bit further away from Universal Studios, but I might be wrong.

I swear by the Express pass. But that's because I get it with my annual pass, and typically visit on a Saturday afternoon where the crowds are high for a couple of hours. Otherwise I think it should be manageable without an Express pass provided it's not a high crowd day (which are weekends, holidays or school holidays), and that you stick to the cardinal theme park rule of rope dropping...

Food wise, there is a good food court right outside Universal Studios. Prices are inflated compared to elsewhere but generally still not too bad. Otherwise you could just take the Sentosa Express or walk back to Harbourfront station where there are two big shopping centres that have plenty of dining options at regular Singapore prices.

I've been to Legoland Malaysia once. Unfortunately, this was near when they first opened and during the school holidays, and everything was chaos. I've heard it's a lot better now though, but I haven't gone back since that first chaotic visit...

I thought I'd pop back in now we have returned from our trip just in case anyone else was planning to go here.

We liked Universal Studios but did not book the express pass, we also waited until the day to decide if we were going and bought tickets at the gate. It cost a little more than prepaying but we wanted to be relaxed on our trip and make sure it was a nice day.
USS was very small, but fun. I do prefer the USA version but the Transformers ride was amazing. We rode everything we wanted to and saw the shows in a day easily. We arrived at rope drop and left at around 4pm. It would have been fun to stay at night but the kids were really tired. We are also very glad we chose not to stay at Sentosa. It was an easy cab ride around $15-$20 to get from the city to Sentosa and although we did have to wait for a taxi in the afternoon(s) it was ok.

Legoland was awesome! I would highly recommend it. Most of the rides were pretty lame compared to USS and the USA parks, but our kids were the right age and the shows and hand on robotics classes were amazing. Staying at the Legoland hotel was part of the adventure and I would recommend to do this. We only stayed one night and had two full days at Legoland but I would have easily stayed another night as we did not venture into the waterpark or go to the hotel pool. Just no time.

That said, our children were 7 and 10, we will most likely not go back again, but we are very glad we did it as they were the perfect ages. The breakfast was amazing and we ate really good Japanese at a restaurant in the hotel.

Singapore blew our mind this trip and we would go back in a heartbeat... the food, the art gallery, the gardens by the bay, bugis, so may things. We had 8 nights here and could have easily stayed another week. (we also went to Thailand for 3 weeks after this part). Yes, accommodation was expensive, but everything else was great value. We stayed in a suite at the Intercontinental Bugis, it was great for a family, we had a king bed in one room and a rollaway single and a sofa bed in the "lounge room". Afternoon tea and canapés/drinks were included along with breakfast each day. Breakfast was excellent. I would stay here again. The only thing was that the pool was cold. (first world problems, hey??!)

Happy travels,
V xo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!