Any bets on the DCA Marvel Land name?

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
I've heard rumblings about "Superhero City", but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of that. What do people think it could be called?

I haven't even heard any rumored names. They could go Marvel Land or Marvel Universe.

I haven't even heard any rumored names. They could go Marvel Land or Marvel Universe.

pretty sure the name "Marvel" cannot appear, even in California:
" iii. East or West of The Mississippi – permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing. "

" iii. East or West of The Mississippi – permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing. "
That would explain summer of heroes then, good catch.

That contract is much more restrictive than most Disney fans assume. Universal's lawyers knew what they were doing, and Marvel needed the money at the time.

Superhero City sounds like one of those no-name knock-offs to me. Like when I buy candies in bulk and they can't use the real name.

It's too bad the contract is locked up so tight, there are so many cool names that could actually incorporate Marvel detailing. Ohhhh well!

I'd go with "Marvel City" simple and doesn't sound similar to Superhero Island over in Universal Orlando.

In my business, I occasionally come across "strange" (in my opinion) ways that lawyers like to word things, and have to shake my head. Perhaps there is just some missing context, but this is one of the most obnoxious phrases I could imagine being in a contract. Is that really the best way to say you can't use the name anywhere in the US?

Actually, if you just said "East of the Mississippi" that could cover the entire planet, unless you put some other limit on it. The above wording also covers the entire planet.

The contract is limited to the U.S. Universal wanted to ensure no other local license was awarded but did not want to pay for the entire U.S. The Mississippi River was an easy geographic divider. They could also have used latitude and longitude, but the Mississippi is an easier concept to grasp. Because the contract references East of the Mississippi in many ways, the few exceptions to include the entire U.S. use the same wording, adding West of the Mississippi to be consistent. This consistency keeps down ambiguity in contracts, so while it seems awkward it is good legal practice.

The contract is limited to the U.S. Universal wanted to ensure no other local license was awarded but did not want to pay for the entire U.S. The Mississippi River was an easy geographic divider. They could also have used latitude and longitude, but the Mississippi is an easier concept to grasp. Because the contract references East of the Mississippi in many ways, the few exceptions to include the entire U.S. use the same wording, adding West of the Mississippi to be consistent. This consistency keeps down ambiguity in contracts, so while it seems awkward it is good legal practice.

That's the context I was missing.

"Restrictions as to the geographic location of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.
i. The Marvel Action Universe will not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

ii. Mini-theme parks, recreation centers, game centers and the like designated with the Marvel name or the name of any Marvel characters or any major entertainment component of a Marvel Action Universe such as a motion based film ride shall not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

iii. Within the ADI market of the city containing a Universal Theme Park (even to the extent such ADI exceeds a 60 mile radius) there shall not be a Marvel themed simulator ride. "

With GotG now coming to Epcot, does anyone have any thoughts on this "within 60 miles" reference in the contract? Is GotG excluded because MCA doesn't have exclusive right to it and therefore the 60 mile radius only references those particular characters and character families that Universal IOA already uses? Very intrigued by this document and trying to make sense of it.

"Restrictions as to the geographic location of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.
i. The Marvel Action Universe will not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

ii. Mini-theme parks, recreation centers, game centers and the like designated with the Marvel name or the name of any Marvel characters or any major entertainment component of a Marvel Action Universe such as a motion based film ride shall not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

iii. Within the ADI market of the city containing a Universal Theme Park (even to the extent such ADI exceeds a 60 mile radius) there shall not be a Marvel themed simulator ride. "

With GotG now coming to Epcot, does anyone have any thoughts on this "within 60 miles" reference in the contract? Is GotG excluded because MCA doesn't have exclusive right to it and therefore the 60 mile radius only references those particular characters and character families that Universal IOA already uses? Very intrigued by this document and trying to make sense of it.
Guardians is under a separate umbrella that Disney can use and universal does not have the rights to which is why we see them at WDW.

Disney's marvel adventure...

Come on, people...BUZZWORDS!!

Like someone else said, the contract states that the word "Marvel" cannot be used. But I like your idea of the word "Adventure." Makes it sound exciting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter