Any fellow Scots (and Glasgow flight with United)

Ceilidhscot

Mouseketeer
Hi

Flying from Glasgow to New York (Newark) then down to Orlando next year and staying at the Normandy Hotel near the airport before we fly out. Has anyone stayed there and if so, how long did it take roughly to get to the airport by using their shuttle bus? Also do they have a family line at security (like they have at Edinburgh) as been a long while since I've flown from that airport.

Has anyone flown United and are they any good? What meals do they tend to serve on the plane for transatlantic flights and roughly when (trying to decide whether to get breakfast at the hotel / airport or wait for the plane as flight is at 9.30am). Also, do they have on-board entertainment (screens etc) and do you have to pay to access or use their headphones (as would save having to bring daughters DVD player!).

On the way back, how quickly can you get through arrivals / bag collection etc from an international flight as only done Europe from there.

Sorry for the 50 odd questions and thanks in advance

I'd be prepared for long security queues at Newark, by far the worst airport I've ever used!

Even when our flight from Newark to Orlando was 6am we had queues at security.

Hello.

Fellow Scot and have flown Glasgow to Newark (but onward to LAS).

AFAIK there is no Family line at Glasgow Airport security but in my experience Glasgow Airport has *always* had faster security than Edinburgh.

We found all the staff super friendly and helpful with a nice range beers. IFE was okay. You don't have to pay for access. I dont remember if they gave out free headphones (I think they did) as I use my own anyway.

My experience at Newark in terms of immigration and customs was pretty good. Not as good as my usual port of PHL but wasn't in anyway reasonable.

Enjoy your holiday.

Thanks folks. I had heard Newark was pretty bad which isn’t too much of an issue flying in or down to Orlando but we’ve to fly back from Orlando via Newark which is a PITA (can’t get a direct flight to Glasgow seemingly as booked through an agent and said we had to use United for all the flights). Whether that’s true, I’ve no idea but been a while since I’ve done international flights and they were organising the hotels etc. Will just have to hope it’s a good day that day lol!

Thanks folks. I had heard Newark was pretty bad which isn’t too much of an issue flying in or down to Orlando but we’ve to fly back from Orlando via Newark which is a PITA (can’t get a direct flight to Glasgow seemingly as booked through an agent and said we had to use United for all the flights). Whether that’s true, I’ve no idea but been a while since I’ve done international flights and they were organising the hotels etc. Will just have to hope it’s a good day that day lol!

Flying FROM the US to Newark and then onward will be fine as you won't have to collect your luggage or clear immigration like you would do if you were doing GLA-EWR-MCO.

The Normandy is about 10mins drive to the airport.
Found United good, no problems. Yes TVs and earphones provided, am sure they were free.
Newark was very easy to get thru (in comparison to Orlando immigration!)
Bag collection at glasgow on way back is pretty straightforward, only long wait is really to get your case, depends how quick they offload them

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear hotel isn't too bad and United are fine as I'm the one organising everything for my family (DH tends to leave me to it as he knows I'll double check everything!). I've planned round the world trips before but that was before DD arrived on the scene and since then its tended to be package hols to Europe so this will be DD first taste of long haul. Never been to New York or Florida before either (though have been to the US but that was 20 years ago and the other side).

Flying FROM the US to Newark and then onward will be fine as you won't have to collect your luggage or clear immigration like you would do if you were doing GLA-EWR-MCO.

That's good to hear!

Enjoy your trip btw - only 5 days to go so mega exciting for you!!

Glasgow security is so much smoother than Edinburgh I find.
I've flown with United via Newark twice and they have been my favourite airline. Good food, great movie choices. Not sure about the earphones as I always use my own.
Newark was a breeze for us both times. Really liked that airport.

Enjoy your trip!

how old is your daughter?
on our august trip, the 3 year old used an old iphone that was loaded up with lots of videos for him...we bought him special kiddie earphones that prevent the sound from going too loud...
the 2 year old watched the seatback movie....or stared at the screen....but it seemed ok for her..
the 3 year old was much happier with the phone in his hands..

they both slept for about two thirds of the flight....watched videos the rest...

Fellow Scot with a mad life temporarily. I will actually be flying from Brisbane where I work for now next trip with hubby flying to Fife first to pick up our son from boarding school before flying over from Edinburgh to meet us

how old is your daughter?
on our august trip, the 3 year old used an old iphone that was loaded up with lots of videos for him...we bought him special kiddie earphones that prevent the sound from going too loud...
the 2 year old watched the seatback movie....or stared at the screen....but it seemed ok for her..
the 3 year old was much happier with the phone in his hands..

they both slept for about two thirds of the flight....watched videos the rest...

Daughter will be 8 when we fly so have bought a Nintendo 2DS XL for her Christmas with a couple of Disney games and she’s already got a DVD player so might take that as well. She’s got the attention span of a goldfish though and I’ll be the one she’ll keep asking to play with (her dad will no doubt fall asleep as soon as the plane hits 30,000ft and remain that way till 20 minutes before we land).

She’ll also have a book, colouring pad with some pencils and a magazine or two.

Daughter will be 8 when we fly so have bought a Nintendo 2DS XL for her Christmas with a couple of Disney games and she’s already got a DVD player so might take that as well. She’s got the attention span of a goldfish though and I’ll be the one she’ll keep asking to play with (her dad will no doubt fall asleep as soon as the plane hits 30,000ft and remain that way till 20 minutes before we land).

She’ll also have a book, colouring pad with some pencils and a magazine or two.

worst part of the holiday - flying with kids!!
but this too shall pass...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter