Any idea when we can buy WDW annual passes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteness

Free pet adoptions
If this question has already been answered, I apologize.

We are moving from Orange County, CA, to the Orlando area, and are really bummed that we cannot purchase new annual passes because of...well, you know...

Are there any rumors or actual information regarding when we will be allowed to purchase them again?

Nope and the reason is very practical.

With the limited Disney Park Pass availability for APs at the parks many AP holders have complained (valid complaint) about limited access to the parks after investing large amouts of money.

Disney has to find a balance for reservations between the different types of ticket holder while still trying to stay in business.

Dave

I'm checking everyday myself. Apparently, at least one person able to buy them at a Guest Relations window at Animal Kingdom on July 11th, but they quickly shut down new sales. Otherwise, I called last week, and a CM told me there would be more info "soon" on AP's, so who knows.

My guess is not until parks and resorts become a LOT closer to normalcy, I wouldn't be surprised if not till next year. Does not make any sense to sell AP's when you may have to close down at any time, like Hong Kong.

If this question has already been answered, I apologize.

We are moving from Orange County, CA, to the Orlando area, and are really bummed that we cannot purchase new annual passes because of...well, you know...

Are there any rumors or actual information regarding when we will be allowed to purchase them again?

I assume you know about all of the restrictions on APs these days - can't go to a park without a reservation. Can only hold a limited number of park reservations at a time. No park hopping. Parks open later and close earlier than normal.

Nope and the reason is very practical.

With the limited Disney Park Pass availability for APs at the parks many AP holders have complained (valid complaint) about limited access to the parks after investing large amouts of money.

Disney has to find a balance for reservations between the different types of ticket holder while still trying to stay in business.

Dave
My guess is not until parks and resorts become a LOT closer to normalcy, I wouldn't be surprised if not till next year. Does not make any sense to sell AP's when you may have to close down at any time, like Hong Kong.

I understand and appreciate the Disney is trying to manage expectations and etc., but I'm so tempted to get Universal Studios passes now just so I can get back to being a passholder again. Even if it's not with Disney.

Being from SoCal, of course I'm very familiar with USH, and not nearly as big a fan. In part because it was a longer drive, but also because I felt the theming was inferior and too many of the rides were essentially 4D movies and lacked repeatability. So, it never warranted having an annual pass. Are their Orlando parks any better?

Again, I appreciate that Disney is trying to do right by it's guests. However, I'd personally be OK with all the restrictions. I miss being in the parks so much, one tenth of a loaf is better than none. Perhaps could Disney give us 3 months extra (for example?) I remember when Disney gifted everyone an extra month on our passes for no reason at all (that I know of), so 3 months to make up for COVID restrictions makes perfect sense to me.

By the way, some of you may know me from Micechat. Excited to be part of this community!

Is Pete Werner the local Dusty Sage? :) Just curious!

Any rumors as to when we can start buying annual passes again? I have 4 trips planned for the next 7 months.....

Any rumors as to when we can start buying annual passes again? I have 4 trips planned for the next 7 months.....
There’s nothing announced or rumored. Some thought they’d announce once the refund period was over, but it’s looking more likely they may not sell them for a while. My thinking is not until 2021...

When Park Hopping becomes available. They cant possibly sell APs at the same price they were without many of the perks. And lowering the price to reflect the current perks would further piss off current AP holders without refunding them which is tough to do at this point
Yep I think this is exactly it. They won’t sell new APs until they can promise APs what they would get.

Since they are not meeting their expected attendance numbers (even the 10% they set as max), perhaps selling APs would help. It would not hurt them to do so, they wouldn't be losing anything if they offered them. I need to get one for my Mom, we have a trip in booked in November (reschedule from May.) We are Florida Residents so it's the cheapest for us to get her a weekday AP like my daughter and I have. She has 1 day left on her 4 day Military ticket she didn't use from our trip in January. So, it makes more sense to get a pass for a whole year at $369 then paying $265 for 4 days if you go at least 8 days (2 short trips a year). If people don't like the fact you can't park hop, just don't buy one. Doesn't hurt them to at least offer it. We never park hop so that isn't an issue for us. Plus, the discount on food & merchandise, etc.

. If people don't like the fact you can't park hop, just don't buy one. Doesn't hurt them to at least offer it. We never park hop so that isn't an issue for us. Plus, the discount on food & merchandise, etc.

I think some would also buy them now in anticipation of an eventual price increase. I know I'm saving to do so for my next year of wdw.

Im not really sure what they are thinking but I wouldn't be surprised if it is only offered to new DVC direct buyers at first since that is a huge perk for buying direct.

Also I read that Universal has been doing great and selling more annual passes and offering amazing ticket discounts. That is something Disney has offered at all beside the FL residents one.

Who knows went new sales of APs will resume. It could be well into 2021. Who knows if some types of APs will even come back? And I just have a feeling that there could be a hefty price increase on what APs are brought back. Disney is not loving on the AP crowd at the moment, so time will tell.

When Park Hopping becomes available. They cant possibly sell APs at the same price they were without many of the perks. And lowering the price to reflect the current perks would further piss off current AP holders without refunding them which is tough to do at this point
It's a shame -- because if I could buy an AP now .. I would definitely go in 2020 with the plan to get my "value" out of the pass in 2021. I live in driving distance (9 hours) away and not afraid to vacation right now.

Let the buyer beware. Sell APs and people will still buy them KNOWING they can't park hop .. it may be worth it for the discounts.

I understand offering a discount could upset current AP holders, but big deal, they've been able to get refunds due to the current situation. Lots of things in life are offered cheaper to other people. For every person who buys a sale item in a store, many bought them at "rack rate". I mean .. just think how many different prices different people are paying to stay at the same Disney resort on the same day! Some pay rack rate, some got a discount, some got an AP discount, some found a super deal on priceline, etc.

Sell APs right now .. 16 months for the price of 12. Give me 4 months "free" during these non-hopper times and I'd buy three in a heartbeat AND plan a trip for sometime this year and help Disney fill up their empty rooms and parks. Disney gets my money NOW and has me on the hook to come spend big money in the parks NEXT year (when they'll need it).

How Disney is not offering some incentives to come right now is mind-boggling.

It's a shame -- because if I could buy an AP now .. I would definitely go in 2020 with the plan to get my "value" out of the pass in 2021. I live in driving distance (9 hours) away and not afraid to vacation right now.

Let the buyer beware. Sell APs and people will still buy them KNOWING they can't park hop .. it may be worth it for the discounts.

I understand offering a discount could upset current AP holders, but big deal, they've been able to get refunds due to the current situation. Lots of things in life are offered cheaper to other people. For every person who buys a sale item in a store, many bought them at "rack rate". I mean .. just think how many different prices different people are paying to stay at the same Disney resort on the same day! Some pay rack rate, some got a discount, some got an AP discount, some found a super deal on priceline, etc.

Sell APs right now .. 16 months for the price of 12. Give me 4 months "free" during these non-hopper times and I'd buy three in a heartbeat AND plan a trip for sometime this year and help Disney fill up their empty rooms and parks. Disney gets my money NOW and has me on the hook to come spend big money in the parks NEXT year (when they'll need it).

How Disney is not offering some incentives to come right now is mind-boggling.
It all has to do with how much they’ve had to pay out in refunds (or will be paying out once they actually issue them). They’re not going to want to put themselves in a position to have to refund more AP money in a few months if something were to change again. It’s unfortunate but it’s the only logical option for Disney right now. They’re already making out the AP bucket for park availability anyway, so there’s really no reason to sell them. And I think the amount of people like you, who would look to buy an AP right now, but are not local, is probably pretty small. Current AP holders are still able to renew, so they’re not alienating any of their local AP holders (they’re still able to purchase their next pass). So in reality it’s a very small percentage of people who are left out right now with no AP sales. It’s just sucks that you fall into that category and I recognize the frustration that can cause.

But, as I said in the a News thread, I can’t see Disney selling APs again until they’ve paid out all of the refunds, gotten through the next few months of the slow season, and probably even have another quarter or even 2 of revenue numbers to show investors what the growth is. Disney is probably quite concerned about the possibility of having to close down a park or 2, even just for a few days a week, and then having to offer refunds again on APs. As it stands now, if you’re an AP holder, you are past the point of getting an AP, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s language baked into the renewal contract stating that by renewing right now you forfeit the chance for a refund on this renewed pass. For as much as they’d make by selling them again, they’re more worried about how much they’d have to be paying back out, when revenue isn’t that high to begin with.

For as much as they’d make by selling them again, they’re more worried about how much they’d have to be paying back out, when revenue isn’t that high to begin with.

Makes sense .. I am sure there are plenty of people who would buy them knowing the parks could close again .. (or they end up closing Epcot except on weekends), etc. Just feels like you need some legal "buyer beware" language.

Really though .. like John has said in the DISUnplugged podcast, Disney should sell discounted tickets to "regional" guests (those in neighboring states that would drive down) similar to the Florida discount offer right now .. or similar to what Universal is doing (Buy 2 days, get 2 days free). I am sure there are plenty of people in Georgia that would drive down a few hours if they could go for $50-60/day.

Disney just doesn't seem ready (yet) to encourage people back. And that makes sense, sorta, .. still a lot of unknowns out there, but at the same time -- if you are open and have a capacity limit set, you'd think they would try and reach that limit as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter