• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Any Ideas for Bug Spray?

I use a heavy duty spray, used by the US Army, you can pick it up at most Army Surplus stores, or here,

http://www.uscav.com

They also make a bug spray/sunscreen combo. This works the best around where I live, in Massachusettes near wetlands, and it seems to do the trick in the parks.

Yes, I have seen them in Christmas Tree Shops ( a discount chain)
and Target. My nana buys them for her grandkids :)

Thanking those that posted about the after bug bite stick. I bought one and stuck in my purse in case the grandkids needed it here in Michigan. Well, I ended up with a small bite from something...not sure what, and the stick worked great! Available at Kmart here.

We've really never seen mosquitoes at WDW. But, I come from the state with mosquitoes big enough to carry you off, so it may be that we just didn't notice those Florida bugs.
This is a link to a story about a study of insect repellants that was recently completed. It does say DEET provides the longest protection. The one thing that was in the newspaper article that isn't in the on-line version is that combination sunscreen/repellants might not be the best idea. The article pointed out that sunscreen should be applied often and on as much skin as you can, but DEET should be applied sparingly, especially on kids.
The study was for mosquitoes, so some of the things they tested that didn't do well on mosquitoes, may be OK against gnats.

The rest of my family doesn't need bug spray but all biting insects make a bee line for me.:confused: -especially sand fleas or no-see-ums. By far the best thing I have found is Florida Swamp Spray. It doesn't really smell good but after it tries it doesn't really smell much at all.

This link has a graph that lists the products that were tested, the active ingredients in them and how long they protected against mosquitoes. A lot of doctors suggest children should use a product with 10% or less of DEET.
3 of the products in the study had less than 10% DEET and worked for at least one hour:

OFF! Skintastic with DEET, 6.65%
protected for 112.4 minutes ±20.3 minutes

Bite Blocker for Kids with Soybean oil, 2%
protected for 94.6 minutes ±42.0 minutes

OFF! Skintastic for Kids with DEET, 4.75%
protected for 88.4 minutes ±21.4 minutes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter