Any JW Marriott Recent Visits?

Huskerpaul

Mouseketeer
We are going to DLR the last week in August and booked the JW Mariott. A recent post on another thread said they didn't have a great experience. So, I checked recent reviews and they are very mixed. It looks like they also charge you $25 per day for food/wine/drink, regardless of if you use it or not. I'm now thinking of switching to the Westin instead, but it costs $50 more per night. Westin also looks like it is a little farther walk. A co-worker and my family have stayed at the Westin and had nothing but good things to say.

Anyone have any recent experiences at either place or know someone who has?

We had a great stay at the Marriot in January and headed there again in less than two weeks. I do not remember a beverage charge. We did stay on points last trip so it basically. cost us $4.

We stayed at the JW recently over spring break in March. We normally stay at the Grand but it was last minute and both The GC and DLH were sold out and the JW rate was amazing (have stayed at PP once and will never again). The hotel was nice, bright and modern - however they seemed terribly understaffed and overwhelmed. Now, given that it was the first school holiday since many COVID restrictions had been lifted I will cut them some slack, but the experience was not great. The pool area is on the smaller side, especially when overrun with kids. Also there were often no towels, dirty dishes everywhere and the odd manager out trying to clean up (again likely due to staff shortages, but still not what you would expect at a JW). The rate we paid was cheap enough that we took it all with a grain of salt. But needless to say my husband said after our trip was over - we will never try that again, the Grand or we stay home. We like being in the bubble and the location is priceless and worth the $ in our opinion. It was not so magical and since DL trips are short, we like to be immersed in the magic for a few days.

If you are looking for a luxury hotel experience offsite, you will not find it. This hotel is nothing special and is a good hike to the parks (especially with small children). Although we did go to the Toy Story parking lot and take the shuttle in the morning, we found that much more efficient, especially since you go through security there instead of at the park entrance. Hopefully they get their staffing up to improve the experience, but I don’t see this hotel as any better than any of the chain hotels around the area (other than being newer).

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning Westin based on this. Of course now my wife wants to stay closer so might be Best Western Park Place. Not exactly a lux hotel LOL

Honestly location is king and a decent pool. I would try the Westin before I stayed at the JW again. Walk through downtown Disney beats walk through a deserted Garden Walk. Now if only I could snag a VGC villa on the waitlist- HA! Maybe an add on at DH DVC is in order depending on the points cost.

I have been able to snag a studio for one of night and just now a 1 bdrm the night before that. So I'm thinking BW PP on the front end and VGC on the back end. Should work great. Thanks for the advice about the BW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter