Any reason NOT to do online check-in?

Jays2013

DIS Veteran
As it says. :) I was planning to check in online at 60 days out, but DH was wondering if there was any detriment to that. "Ask those boards," he said.

So I am! ;)

There was one time when we didn't want to do online check-in. There was a specific floor (ground floor) we did not want but were fine with anything else. I suppose we still could have done online check-in and if we had been assigned a room we didn't like, we could proceed to the desk upon arrival instead of going straight to our room. So no, I can't think of a reason not to do online check-in.

I can't think of any reason not to check in online, if you have a specific concern or request call and let them know.

Only reason I can think of is if you have the phobia of filling up forms.

Remember that online check-in (OCI) does NOT change any of the following:
  • you can still modify/cancel your reservation (following the policies of your rate)
  • the room assignor will assign you a room, no matter if you complete online check-in or not
  • if you wish to make requests for your room, you may equally do it by performing OCI, making a phone call, sending a fax, or contacting DSS if you are a CL guest
  • you can always go to front desk to change anything that you made, or did not made, at the OCI (the CC on file for each MB, ask for cards, disable payment for some bands)
  • if you're booking RO and made only a deposit, the IT may charge your deposit card for the entire stay during the night prior to your arrival, regardless of your check-in status
To sum up, OCI is not really a check-in, but more like some kind of online pre-registration. If that helps, we can think about it as a way to “Offer Conveniently your Infos”.

Edited for clarification, thanks @dansdad and @AngiTN!

Last edited:

Remember that online check-in does NOT change any of the following:
  • you can still modify/cancel your reservation (following the policies of your rate)
  • your room requests are going to be considered by the room assignor a few days prior to your arrival exactly the same
  • you can call/fax to make requests if you're not checking-in online
  • you can always go to front desk to change anything that you made, or did not made, at the OCI (the CC on file for each MB, ask for cards, disable payment for some bands)
  • if you're booking RO and made only a deposit, the IT may charge your deposit card for the entire stay during the night prior to your arrival, regardless of your check-in status
Maybe WDW should use another term for describing “Online Check-In”, such as “Offer Conveniently your Infos”.

I think they should change it to Online Pre-registration.

Remember that online check-in does NOT change any of the following:
  • your room requests are going to be considered by the room assignor a few days prior to your arrival exactly the same
  • you can call/fax to make requests if you're not checking-in online
Maybe WDW should use another term for describing “Online Check-In”, such as “Offer Conveniently your Infos”.
Man, wouldn't it be nice to make this post/info a sticky! Love it.
And one more point to include, they will assign you a room prior to your arrival, no matter if you complete online check in or if you don't complete online check in. If you wish to give them any input to consider when assigning this room, may as well do it, either via online check in if the choices fit, or some other way.

I think they should change it to Online Pre-registration.

Man, wouldn't it be nice to make this post/info a sticky! Love it.
And one more point to include, they will assign you a room prior to your arrival, no matter if you complete online check in or if you don't complete online check in. If you wish to give them any input to consider when assigning this room, may as well do it, either via online check in if the choices fit, or some other way.

Thank you for your feedback, I edited my post slightly!

I just did OCI and there was no option for room request.... :-( Dis I do something wrong? Its a POR.

I just did OCI and there was no option for room request.... :-( Dis I do something wrong? Its a POR.
On the app or on the website?
I can't find anywhere to do it the app either. I have looked and looked and I can do online check in but no where to put in any request. I've done 2 different online check in on the app and neither time had anywhere for requests that I could find. I had to go back to the website to find it
If you are looking on the website, you have to click on "Show Details"

What room type do you have? Requests depend on the room you have booked, tough I would have guessed that, I this resort, you could always choose between “ground floor” and “upper floor”.

Maybe you should check on your MDE, there should be a button to edit your OCI form details. By returning to it, you might see more options?

Edited: @AngiTN was faster, didn't see her post before posting mine, she raises valid points that I missed!

What room type do you have? Requests depend on the room you have booked, tough I would have guessed that, I this resort, you could always choose between “ground floor” and “upper floor”.

Maybe you should check on your MDE, there should be a button to edit your OCI form details. By returning to it, you might see more options?

Edited: @AngiTN was faster, didn't see her post before posting mine, she raises valid points that I missed!
I just found it on the website. I requested both reservations to be highest floor. Would I still be able to request adjoining rooms?

I did OCI recently and it was still saying "Check Back Later for Room Number" at 11:30 PM when I got back from the park. The front desk was able to give me my room number, but this seemed odd.

I just tried to online check in and under the "room requests" section, it has 2 drop down menus for requests, but when I click on them, it has no options.....the las time I did Online check in, it had a box pop up to select options, no drop down...hmmmm

I just tried to online check in and under the "room requests" section, it has 2 drop down menus for requests, but when I click on them, it has no options.....the las time I did Online check in, it had a box pop up to select options, no drop down...hmmmm

What kind of room did you book? Same thing happened to me...nothing to choose in either drop down? I'm staying in one of the Royal Princess Rooms.

This seems like a good place to ask this question. I have a room only reservation. Paid for the deposit with a gift card. I plan to pay for the balance of the room with another gift card. If I do online check-in, can I still pay for the balance with a gift card, either at the time of online check-in or at the time we arrive (which will be close to midnight, as we are driving down after work), or will they automatically charge the balance to a credit card?

This seems like a good place to ask this question. I have a room only reservation. Paid for the deposit with a gift card. I plan to pay for the balance of the room with another gift card. If I do online check-in, can I still pay for the balance with a gift card, either at the time of online check-in or at the time we arrive (which will be close to midnight, as we are driving down after work), or will they automatically charge the balance to a credit card?

If you have a RO reservation *and* they know a CC (either by OCI or if you told them otherwise), there is an automated process that might charges you overnight. If you intend paying by a gift card, I would suggest you do not do OCI (or at least do not fill the CC details, though I don't know if this is possible).

Note that you can alwasy ask the frontdesk to revert the CC charges, and use a gift card, but this can be tedious (and if your CC company does not allow you to make much spending on a month, that may be a pain to deal with).

What kind of room did you book? Same thing happened to me...nothing to choose in either drop down? I'm staying in one of the Royal Princess Rooms.
Are either of you trying to use a browser on your phone by chance? I noticed this morning when I tried to do online check in on the browser on my phone it did that but if I went to the browser on the computer the choices were there.

Are either of you trying to use a browser on your phone by chance? I noticed this morning when I tried to do online check in on the browser on my phone it did that but if I went to the browser on the computer the choices were there.

FWIW, I never use a computer for personnal use, and I could submit all the requests I wanted using at least my iPad (I don't remember if I used my iPhone for that).

FWIW, I never use a computer for personnal use, and I could submit all the requests I wanted using at least my iPad (I don't remember if I used my iPhone for that).
Glad about that! I only use my iPad and iPhone now - was thinking I'd have to use hubs iMac!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter