Any reason not to purchase MaxPass with multi day ticket?

LuvGoldens

Mouseketeer
We are visiting Disneyland in early May after not having been for many, many years. We will be taking advantage of the Canadian resident offer (5 day passes) that is out and I see there is an option to add MaxPass to those tickets at a rate of $10 per day instead of the $15 it costs to buy on a daily basis. We were planning to purchase MaxPass for most if not all days of our trip anyway but was wondering if there is any obvious reasons I might not be thinking of as to why we wouldn’t want to pre-purchase it with our tickets?

We have been to Disney World a few times over the last couple years and are used to their FastPass+ system there so are looking forward to trying MaxPass as it seems so much easier. I’m so used to planning every waking hour when we visit Disney World that I’m amazed at how much simplier this trip will be. Now if they could only post the park hours for our dates and open the World of Color dessert party date we want I’d be set!

MP is a really nice luxury, but it isn't an absolute necessity to have a great day in the parks. Do you ride lots of rides on the FP system at DLR normally? If so, MP is nice to have, but you can still use the old FP system for free and have a great time. Will you want the PP included with MP? Not everyone does, so if that will be a waste for you, better to spend the money on something else that you want. Remember that not all rides are included with MP (in fact, the majority of rides are not on the FP/MP system), so if you usually don't do headliner rides, MP may not be useful for you. We love MP, but there are days when we don't use it at all. Look at the list of rides on the FP system, think if you will use the system every day of your trip, then calculate the cost of MP every day vs. only on some days. Then choose the better bargain!
Don't forget to check to see if your data plan will cover MP at DLR. The free wifi at DLR isn't like the wifi at WDW. The wifi at DLR isn't park wide -- there are hot spots located throughout the parks, but they aren't super strong. Many people choose to use their own data plans. There are threads on this forum about Canadian options that are budget friendly.

I loved MaxPass on our trip and used it both for booking FP and for getting all our E ticket ride photos. But we only went for 2.5 days so I wanted to maximize every minute. You're going on a longer trip and can take a more relaxed pace. The only reason I wouldn't pre-pay the fee is if you wanted to save money on one of the days when you might focus more on shows/experiences and not the E ticket rides.

>>>We were planning to purchase MaxPass for most if not all days of our trip anyway but was wondering if there is any obvious reasons I might not be thinking of as to why we wouldn’t want to pre-purchase it with our tickets?<<<

No reason not to purchase it now, especially at the $10 per day rate. I've pre-purchased it with my 3 day hopper for July, did so back when it was $10/day before the price increase.
theluckyrabbit makes a good point: as long as your group wants to ride most of the FP attractions, there's probably a list of them floating around here somewhere, then you can't really go wrong. We used it last trip and it's very hard to go back once you've tried it - it's so convenient. Of course, make sure you'll have wifi, as mentioned, Disney's is pretty woeful.

>>>The only reason I wouldn't pre-pay the fee is if you wanted to save money on one of the days when you might focus more on shows/experiences and not the E ticket rides<<

The only thing with this is - if you buy per day you will pay $15 verses prepaying the $10 per day. So if you pre-buy now for the 5 days it costs you $50 per person.
Lets say you decide you only want to use it 3 days and pay per day then that would be a total of $45. So for only $5 more you could have had it for the 5 days.

If you know your going to ride most of the FP attractions then I would get it now for the $10/day.
You don't NEED it but it sure is nice to have it : )

Lots of reason TO purchase MP.

Some reasons NOT to purchase MP:
  • You have young children and do not plan to ride the headliners very much if at all
  • You have a really large group and the cost is prohibitive
  • You do not care about the photos that come with MP
  • You only plan to be in the parks for part of the day
Here is some info on FP+ vs. MP: "Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/

:wizard:

I think we'll start our pass without it on the weekdays and then add it on the weekend as we get more tired. 4 of us so that's another $60 a day just to be able to FP on our phones and skip the walk, and we will be at the park from 8am to 12am everyday so I don't know that we'll need to maximize that much. We will buy 1 each day though just for the pictures.

I think we'll start our pass without it on the weekdays and then add it on the weekend as we get more tired. 4 of us so that's another $60 a day just to be able to FP on our phones and skip the walk, and we will be at the park from 8am to 12am everyday so I don't know that we'll need to maximize that much. We will buy 1 each day though just for the pictures.
That sounds like a good plan. And you can still get FP from kiosks if you want on days you do not ave MP.

:wizard:

Thanks for all the replies and insight. It is just my husband and I, we don’t have kids and do plan to ride all the FP rides so I think we will pre-purchase MP, especiallly since it’s just $10 a day instead of $15. We have never bought the photo pass when visiting DW so that will be an added bonus for us this trip.

If you will be there for 5 days you don’t actually need it as you will have time to do everything a few times. However, it does come with free photos (from attractions and anyone camera people around the park) so that’s a nice perk. When we went for 5 days we still bought it because it meant we could do more breaks or ride the popular rides a lot more.

If price isn't a major concern, get the MAX PASS. It's worth it to get your fast pass via your phone. Before, I was the one that had to run from ride to ride to get the physical fast pass. Now? I just set an alarm to remind me to get my next fast pass and I'm done in a flash. It saves time and effort and totally worth the cost just to get it.

Thanks for all the replies and insight. It is just my husband and I, we don’t have kids and do plan to ride all the FP rides so I think we will pre-purchase MP, especiallly since it’s just $10 a day instead of $15. We have never bought the photo pass when visiting DW so that will be an added bonus for us this trip.
I don't think you can pre-purchase for $10 a day any more, or at least I can't find that rate anymore. please update if you do find it.

I love the Max Pass system. I think its leaps and bounds better than Fast Pass +. I know its an additional cost but it includes the Photo Pass and is not as restrictive as Fast Pass+. We have gotten so many more fast passes through Max Pass in one day then we have ever been able to with Fast Pass+

Last I checked, Maxpass is still $10 per day if pre-purchased with the spring promo tickets.

Yep, still correct. MP is still $10/day on those promo tickets which must be used by 23 May, if pre-purchased so it is a good deal.
(note: those special tickets have blackout dates of April 14-22 where they can't be used as well)

It comes up as $15/day for tickets that are purchased to be used after that date.

I don't think you can pre-purchase for $10 a day any more, or at least I can't find that rate anymore. please update if you do find it.
We are from Canada and the Canadian resident promo on right now has the option to prepurchase MP for $10 a day.

I would grab it and not just for a few days, you never know when a photo person grabs you and takes a bunch of photos. they are included now with the max pass.

We are from Canada and the Canadian resident promo on right now has the option to prepurchase MP for $10 a day.
Interesting we got ours with airmiles from the CAD site, so it's possible we could get that too, will check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter