Any rough opening dates out yet for Star Wars and Toy Story Lands?

disneygrandma

Mickey Fan
Trying to figure out dates for a possible summer trip, but would like to know if these two important areas will be open this summer, or if we shouldn't count on it. Ideally, June would be better for our family, but kids will be disappointed if we go in June and these open in July. Does anyone have better info than "this summer"?

Jim hill said in his latest podcast that they are aiming for July of 2019, if I remember what he said correctly.

July for Disneyland not DHS.
Jim said they are trying to get them both open at the same time or very close and said they will probably be able to catch up the DHS construction to DL. when the ATATs went into DHS they were 6 months behind but according to Jim Hill they are only 3 months apart now.

Jim said they are trying to get them both open at the same time or very close and said they will probably be able to catch up the DHS construction to DL. when the ATATs went into DHS they were 6 months behind but according to Jim Hill they are only 3 months apart now.
Sorry Jim not buying that one. Disney has announced they won't open together.

Will never know for sure until probably about 90-120 days out.

But it is an exciting time. My plan is to go to WDW late 2018, get an annual pass and go again late (Oct/Nov) 2019 and hopefully catch both openings. If not, oh well, I will just have to go again in 2020 LOL!

The fact is, that no matter when you plan on going in the next 4 years, you'll miss the opening of something. I went in August 2015 and missed the opening of the Star Wars Launch Bay. I just went in March 2017 and missed the opening of Pandora.

I can't recall a time when so many new (and net new) things that have and are set to open in the next 1-4 years (in so many different parks) without actually opening a whole new park.
Pandora - 2 net new ride attractions
SWGE - 2 net new ride attractions
France Pavillion - 1 net new ride attraction
Tomorrowland - 1 net new ride attraction (possibly 2 if they ever say what they are doing with Stitch)
Main Street USA - 1 new show

(Toy Story Land is really just replacing Back Lot and LMA).

So 6-8 new attractions between Jan. 2017 and probably end of 2021? DHS and AK barely opened with that many attractions.

I know he only pulls info from other sources but yesterdays DSNY Newscast said that internally Disney thinks they got DHS to a point where its only 3 months behind DL. Says DL is shooting for a April/May opening and DHS for a summer opening. He didn't mention which source he heard this from other than its been said internally.

Edit: Saw the previous post about what Jim Hill said so it probably came from that. I don't put stock in what Jim says.

Will never know for sure until probably about 90-120 days out.

But it is an exciting time. My plan is to go to WDW late 2018, get an annual pass and go again late (Oct/Nov) 2019 and hopefully catch both openings. If not, oh well, I will just have to go again in 2020 LOL!

The fact is, that no matter when you plan on going in the next 4 years, you'll miss the opening of something. I went in August 2015 and missed the opening of the Star Wars Launch Bay. I just went in March 2017 and missed the opening of Pandora.

I can't recall a time when so many new (and net new) things that have and are set to open in the next 1-4 years (in so many different parks) without actually opening a whole new park.
Pandora - 2 net new ride attractions
SWGE - 2 net new ride attractions
France Pavillion - 1 net new ride attraction
Tomorrowland - 1 net new ride attraction (possibly 2 if they ever say what they are doing with Stitch)
Main Street USA - 1 new show

(Toy Story Land is really just replacing Back Lot and LMA).

So 6-8 new attractions between Jan. 2017 and probably end of 2021? DHS and AK barely opened with that many attractions.

It is funny/stressful to think about when to go as you want to balance seeing the new things but also, is it going to be crazy so when it the best time to go when maybe things calm down ... but at this rate it iwll be 2023 or something (maybe some calm in late 2020/early 2021 depending on when the 50th anniversary stuff gets into full swing

Interesting idea about doing an AP to span the two openings. A bit harder to time right with having kids, but a decent thought

i would say you have to be careful with saying "net new rides" as they obviously closed things at DHS to make room for Toy Story Land and SWGE

You do also likely have a new attraction coming to the UK - not sure by when but I think it is being looked as as a "C-ticket" or something so maybe won't take that long to build. And obviously the new Guardians Ride which, while replacing a ride, is replacing one that didn't exactly draw the crowds in

I know he only pulls info from other sources but yesterdays DSNY Newscast said that internally Disney thinks they got DHS to a point where its only 3 months behind DL. Says DL is shooting for a April/May opening and DHS for a summer opening. He didn't mention which source he heard this from other than its been said internally.

Edit: Saw the previous post about what Jim Hill said so it probably came from that. I don't put stock in what Jim says.

yeah, I'd be careful relying on DSNY too much - I think he does a great job in sharing info/rumors in a concise manner but not sure how much fact checking he does and probably is just referencing Jim Hill

Maybe they did gain some ground but they also lost at least a week from the hurricane. I think they would take the DLR one open in time for summer crowds and the DHS one in time for the holidays (plus there will be some people who want to be at both openings)

Interesting idea about doing an AP to span the two openings. A bit harder to time right with having kids, but a decent thought
I've been toying with the idea of a 1-2 punch with an AP for a while since we are a 9 hour drive away. It just make sense, especially since we've been going on short trips every year and half since 2014. Also, since my daughter will be 2 in late 2018 and not turn 3 until two years from today(her first birthday is today!), I am trying to plan it around her being old enough to enjoy the parks, yet still be free. One free child saves a TON of money on food and tickets. We took my son to WDW when he was 2 and on his 3rd birthday (again to take advantage of being free), but we only did TWO park days each time to avoid exhausting him. So trying to go for 4 (or more) park days may be too much.

It will be a lot different going with two kids with such a wide age range (5 years), so my plan is a bit ambitious and will require pulling my son out of school to go during those fall timeframes, but so far the wife is on board.

I see the AP just gives me some flexibility on planning .. especially with small children. I could maybe shift may dates around to come after the land openings and I won't feel like we are wasting money if the little one just can't do 4 park days and we cut the trip short or have just a resort day off.

i would say you have to be careful with saying "net new rides" as they obviously closed things at DHS to make room for Toy Story Land and SWGE

Right .. from my perspective, the only attractions they have closed (recently) to make room for Toy Story and SWGE was Backstage Tour and LMA. So unless you count Honey I Shrunk the Playground or Streets of America as "attractions" (which I don't) .. DHS will still be having a net gain of two attractions. If you don't count LMA (because it was a show that only ran a few times a day) .. then you have a net gain of three RIDE attractions (which DHS has always lacked).

just thought I would add here, as perhaps a counter to what Jim Hill reported, that MiceChat is saying that Florida is falling further behind CA ... not sure exactly what that is based on, but clearly no one knows for sure

http://micechat.com/173538-disneyland-resort-update-rundisney-falters-star-wars-everywhere/

"Sadly, Florida is falling further behind as their delayed start, hurricanes and even their own Reedy Creek Improvement District are all working against them."

just thought I would add here, as perhaps a counter to what Jim Hill reported, that MiceChat is saying that Florida is falling further behind CA ... not sure exactly what that is based on, but clearly no one knows for sure

http://micechat.com/173538-disneyland-resort-update-rundisney-falters-star-wars-everywhere/

"Sadly, Florida is falling further behind as their delayed start, hurricanes and even their own Reedy Creek Improvement District are all working against them."
I haven’t seen anything to say that they are falling further behind besides this. I was looking some construction videos and photos last night to compare and DHS seems to be 4-5 months behind DL. It’s hard to tell though because it appears they haven’t followed the exact same construction plan as DL.

I haven’t seen anything to say that they are falling further behind besides this. I was looking some construction videos and photos last night to compare and DHS seems to be 4-5 months behind DL. It’s hard to tell though because it appears they haven’t followed the exact same construction plan as DL.

I did hear they lost like a week from the hurricane, but that could be made up I am sure ... so perhaps it is just that which Micechat is referencing?

Just see this a bit more argument against Jim Hill saying they are catching up and might open at the same time or anything though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts