Any Sea World & SD Zoo Tips??

PrairyChikk

Earning My Ears
We are spending a day at Sea World & a day at San Diego Zoo when we are in CA for 10 days over Easter. I am an obsessive planner and have tons of notes, lists and post its covering my desk with info and tips about DLR & DCA. I need a few more notes about Sea World & the Zoo to even things out. ;)

Anyone have any tips for me? How to do the parks, places to eat in San Diego, anything like that?

:surfweb:

I haven't been to Sea World in a while...I know the Zoo a lot better.

If you don't mind walking, my recommendation is to get to the Zoo right after it opens and go down Tiger River and see the tigers, then see the pandas (if you're there early you might actually see them moving/eating rather than just sleeping!) and then see the cats/small carnivores in Cat Canyon, since they are also more active in the morning. After that you might want to take the bus tour (if you're planning to do that), and that gives you a good overview of things you might want to go back and see later. You get a much better view of the koalas by going to the exhibit than you do from the bus, and the Polar bears are also best viewed at the exhibit. You also can't see the gorillas, orangutans and other monkeys from the bus, but at least that exhibit is just inside the front entrance to the Zoo so it's easy to get to. The Children's Zoo is fun (even if you don't have kids), and I really like the Wild Ones show in the Hunt Amphitheater. I've not been too impressed by the food at the Zoo, though it has improved a bit...Sidney's Grill is decent, as is the place down near the gorillas. But I think the burgers at the burger stands are like cardboard.

Places to eat in San Diego - there are tons!!! Depends on what you like...seafood, Italian, Mexican, American, etc. and how much you want to spend. There are lots of nice (and somewhat pricey) restaurants down in the Gaslamp District downtown. Anthony's, right on the harbor serves decent, and reasonably priced, seafood. Humphrey's, on Shelter Island, is also good. The Prado restaurant in Balboa Park is quite good for lunch - I haven't had dinner there.

If you want to try more "local" flavors...try the fish tacos at any of the many Rubio's fast food places around town. Or the Mexican food at many of the Roberto's fast food places. On India Street, try Filippi's pizza grotto - it's an Italian restaurant that's behind an Italian grocery store - it's a local fixture, and has been there for years. Also on India Street, but further north, is El Indio's, a take-out Mexican place. They used to be really good, but not quite as good recently, though their fresh tortillas (they make them there) are still awesome. Just down the street from El Indio's is Saffron, a little hole-in-the-wall Thai place, but the food is terrific. Both those places have seating available - El Indio's is outdoor, and Saffron has some inside, some outside.

There's many restaurants in Old Town. Old Town Mexican Cafe is another place that's been there for years, and has good Mexican food (their carnitas plate is quite good). Rockin' Baja Lobster and Guadalajara Grill tend to have more run-of-the-mill chain-restaurant-style Mexican food, but it's decent.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the Zoo info! Our kids are 11 & 15 and are looking forward to the zoo as much as DL. Tigers, Bears & Gorillas are the faves. Dh will be happy for the bus tour. He doesn't feel the need to see every single animal in every zoo, like the kids & I do. What a great compromise. ;)

We'll have to try the fish tacos and eating at the harbor would be great, we all love seafood. (the kids have never seen the ocean, we live on the prairies) Authentic Mexican would be somethng else we'll have to make time for. I could sure use more than 2 days in San Diego!

That helps a lot, thank you! :thumbsup2

Anything else we should see in SD besides the Zoo & Sea World?

There's lots more to see/do in San Diego, but with only two days, you're going to find that Sea World and the Zoo will keep you plenty busy! You might wander around Balboa Park a little bit (the Zoo is located at the north end of the park) - there's tons of museums and gardens and stuff there. And if your kids have never seen the ocean I'd definitely suggest going to the beach! Mission Beach is not too far from Sea World - there's a roller coaster there and some shops/restaurants, and you can walk along the boardwalk (which is actually concrete and not wood!) and see the ocean, or take your shoes off and walk along the beach.

get your bus tickets first as you can up on and off on one of the buses. . . saves you a trip up the hills. . . in the mornings I prefer going down cat canyon as the cats are super active. .

You might try the Behind the Scenes tour at Sea World. DH and I did that when we went in December of 2001 (me being 9 weeks preg. at the time). Although, I don't know how the crowds are during Easter in CA. I've only been to CA once.

There is an Italian restaurant that we had gone to that was really good. I just can't remember the name of it. We had to go through the store in order to get to the restaurant and when we were done, the line to sit in the dining room was in the store and out the door.

We also did the zoo, but next time I'm telling DH that we are taking a cab! He was in CA with a few co-workers/friends for a conference and us wives tagged along. We took the trolly and walked (it was a very long walk) to Balboa park and the Zoo. Let me tell you that it was more walking than I have ever done in my life and I strained my muscles b/c of it (and being pregnant to boot). But overall we did have a good time and even hit a few museums that are there.

Prairychikk,
We will be there at the same time so I don't have much advice to offer except we are going over the weekend since DL will be so crowded. We also opted to spend the night instead of taking the drive between anaheim and SD. We did schedule a dine with Shamu on saturday. (brunch on easter sunday was twice as much). We live on the Atlantic and plan on seeing the Pacific! Mission Bay is where we are staying.
Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2

SeaWorld...even if you think it's going to be dumb, DO go see the Pets Rule! show. Unless you simply can't stand cute animals doing fun things, that is. :) We saw the dolphin thing and Shamu, but the Pets show was THE thing that made our trip. :woohoo:

The Zoo...wear hats and sunscreen. And good shoes.

I must add. The Pets show wasn't so great just b/c of our toddler (I know my picture is when he was an infant, I'm tricky like that, LOL). But my brother and his wife, in their mid-30s and gloriously child-free, LOVED that show. They live in San Diego, and go QUITE often, sometimes just to see the Pets show again.

Thanks for the great tips everyone! :woohoo:

We are renting a car and are driving from Anaheim. We're doing Sea World on Friday and the Zoo on Wednesday.

Just saw that you were in California over easter from Saskatchewan. We are going down in November from Saskatoon with very similar aged kids. Can I ask where you stayed in Anaheim and San Diego or did you just drive back and forth to the Zoo and Sea World from DL? Any suggestions you could make would be appreciated.

Just saw that you were in California over easter from Saskatchewan. We are going down in November from Saskatoon with very similar aged kids. Can I ask where you stayed in Anaheim and San Diego or did you just drive back and forth to the Zoo and Sea World from DL? Any suggestions you could make would be appreciated.

Hi Walbern
We are from Ont and have gone to SoCal in Aug 05 & 06.
Both times we did LA/Anaheim for the first 7 days and SD for the last 4.
We enjoyed the hustle/bustle of the theme parks and beaches in the first leg and then relaxed a little more in SD.

Drew

Does the bus tour follow the same route and stope each time? I am just wondering because I am looking at the map and following the path, but the stops don't make sense. Stop 1 is in the elephant mesa while stop 2 is way over on the Ituri forest side. Do the numbers not mean anything? I am just wondering so that we can plan our day there?

Thanks

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Orange County and drove to San diego on 2 different days. The drive wasn't so bad, we left early in the morning to be there when the parks opened. If we were to do it again, I would have stayed at a hotel in San Diego for a couple of days so we could see more than just those 2 parks.

Does the bus tour follow the same route and stope each time? I am just wondering because I am looking at the map and following the path, but the stops don't make sense. Stop 1 is in the elephant mesa while stop 2 is way over on the Ituri forest side. Do the numbers not mean anything? I am just wondering so that we can plan our day there?

Thanks

The numbered stops are for the Express Bus that you can use to ride around the Zoo to cut down on some walking. The tour bus doesn't stop at those stops. You catch the tour bus near the main entrance and it drops you off at the same spot.

HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter