Any tips for someone going from Dream to Classic class?

DIS_MIKE

DCL Commodore
So I just booked my first cruise on The Magic. This will be my 5th cruise and I'll be gold afterwards which should give me a nice advantage for booking The Wish!

I know there are plenty of threads comparing the ships but I guess I'm looking for those who cruised on the Dream or Fantasy first and then went on the Magic of Wonder. Were you shocked, surprised or over/underwhelmed? I feel it's still a win-win regardless.

Totally looking forward to the new shows, restaurants and a less-crowded CC. Stoked! :woohoo:

The Wonder and Magic are smaller (and do longer itineraries than the Dream) which increases your chances of building up a relationship with crew and fellow passengers. There aren't as many activities on the pool deck (no mini-golf or simulators), and there is no upcharge ice cream shop, and no Midship Detective Agentcy; but there are still plenty of fun things to do. I personally think that the stage shows are better on the Magic and Wonder, and I also like the layout of Cabanas and the QS food places on deck better on the Magic than the Dream.

Suggestions:
- Remember not everything is in the same place on the Classics
- Explore the ship to your bearings
- Many things are still the same (it is still Disney)
- Enjoy your cruise!

We did our first 3 cruises on the Dream class ships before sailing on the Wonder. Now, I am firmly a "classic ship person."

I love how quickly you can get from place to place.

The Twist n Spout is fun for everyone so there's still a family slide.

Pool deck food options are better on the Classics. Schwarma!

I prefer the first night in AP better than the Nemo show.

I enjoy the special dinner experiences as Tiana's and Rapunzel's.

I found that the rooms had more storage.

Palo brunch was better on the classics.

I also think the shows are better.

Cadillac Lounge/Keys is a lovely place to get a cocktail.

French Quarter/Promenade Lounge is lovely during the day so you can sit by the windows and relax. Same with the pub.

In general, I just find the classic ships more cozy and comfortable. While most things are in the same place, there are a few differences, so just check your ship map. Have a great trip!

We sailed the Fantasy before getting on the Magic. Very different itineraries so I won't discuss that but I loved that the Magic was so easy to navigate. I did miss the AquaDuck as it was so much fun. But I found the crowds a little less crazy on the Magic. I LOVED Rapunzel's Royal Table, it is such a beautifully designed restaurant. I also really enjoyed the shawarma and "build a bowl" stations upstairs on the pool deck. Quiet Cove for us wasn't quiet on the Magic but I think that was itinerary-specific (heavy on the adult cruisers, light on kids).

I like both ship classes, but I like Magic more! Rapunzel's restaurant, better Animator's, less crowds, better pools!

We started on the Classics, and we still love them. The Dream and Fantasy have their perks, but the Wonder and the Magic have some advantages. The set up of the elevators not opening into Cabanas is a big one for us, we hate that on the bigger ships. The pub is much larger because they have less number of clubs/bars in that area. You get around quicker because the decks are shorter. We love Tiana's and Rapunzel's restaurants.

One thing to keep in mind is that the atriums are much smaller, so you won't get the elaborate shows in that space that they do on the Fantasy, or have as good viewing. Also there are less shops and bars. And no Satellite Falls. But while we love these features when we are on the big ships, we don't miss them (well except maybe the atrium) when we are on the classics.

We started out on the fantasy and then sailed the magic last April. We really, really missed satellite falls. The adult only area on the magic was very small and very busy on our cruise. Busy to the point where you couldn’t find an open sun lounger, which has never been a problem on the fantasy.

We did enjoy rapunzel‘s dinner show. It was awesome. We also enjoyed a practically empty serenity bay on castaway cay. Other than that, we have decided to stick to the larger ships.

Did the Wonder as our first cruise maybe 10 years ago. Then 8 cruises on Dream class. Was kinda nervous booking on the Magic but really wanted to complete our Grand Slam. Did a MDAS which was amazing.

Personally I think the Magic cruise was my favorite. The boat is smaller with less people but that allowed more personal relationships with the crew. By day 3 the character attendants knew our state room number for pictures. They also “knew” our daughter and went out of their way to give her some amazing experiences. We may have ran around the ship the last night for 20 minutes with Captain Hook and Smee!!! It was one of her (and mine) favorite moments on DCL.

Attachments

• 0EEB2697-3048-471A-8DFC-47F13D67F785.jpeg
    0EEB2697-3048-471A-8DFC-47F13D67F785.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 13
  • CC8E50A6-E52F-40FB-94EF-AFB95AF04270.jpeg
    CC8E50A6-E52F-40FB-94EF-AFB95AF04270.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 13
I finally went on the Magic. I thought the ship was too small. I didn't like the atrium, my kids missed not having the mid ship detective, and their mini splash pad is terrible

We did 4 on the Dream class (2018/2019) then back to the Magic class(2020) - my #1 ‘annoyance’? Elevators- I much prefer the placement of the elevators facing each other vs in one line

Otherwise I preferred Magic class so much more.

To me the Dream class is WDW and Magic class is Disneyland. It may be older, smaller and a little more clunky in design but experiences are more unique and less cookie cutter than WDW which is newer, larger and easier to navigate but things are more standardized and predictable.

We sailed the Dream and Fantasy first, and then the Wonder in the first post-dry dock cruise this past Fall. The Wonder was our favorite cruise of the three, by far. (We need a do-over on the Fantasy—Cozumel was rained out, Aladdin was canceled, we couldn’t dock at Castaway, and my husband’s family is pretty infuriating to travel with. :))

Things I missed:
  • the more expansive Dream-class atrium
  • Remy
  • Meridian
  • The upcharge dessert shops (most desserts onboard have little flavor)
  • The Rainforest Room (I’ll probably never go back period post-price increase, but certainly not on the Classics where there’s no ocean view)
Things I thought I or we would miss but didn’t:
  • Midship Detective Agency (we might have cared more on a longer cruise)
  • More bells and whistles in the Oceaneer club (my son was happier with the slide in Andy’s room than he ever was with the Millennium Falcon)
Things I preferred on the Wonder:
  • the pool deck (both the pool/hot tub situation and the food)
  • the Animator’s Palate show is superior on the Classics (it made me happycry)
In April we’re completing our Grand Slam with a 5-night Western on the Magic, hoping to make the visits to Cozumel and CC that we missed on the Fantasy last April.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions! I like how several of you mentioned the shawarma as I have really been looking forward to trying it on the classic ships. It's odd how they didn't bring it to the Dream class ships. We call them gyros where I come from though. Does anyone have photos of the shawarma topping bar? I'm sure they have that white yogurt sauce (tahini) along with hot sauce for them.

I will definitely miss satellite falls for sure. It's sad that the rainforest room continues to rise in price. I was upset they kept pushing those scubs on me and then I found out that was part of the deluxe package which I did not want. I will not be going to Senses spa on this cruise due to the layout (no views of the ocean) along with no hot tubs.

Totally looking forward to Rapunzel's Royal Table and the Tangled show. Definitely cannot wait for this cruise and it will be great to leave from Miami. I will be sure to let you all know my thoughts once I come back.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions! I like how several of you mentioned the shawarma as I have really been looking forward to trying it on the classic ships. It's odd how they didn't bring it to the Dream class ships. We call them gyros where I come from though. Does anyone have photos of the shawarma topping bar? I'm sure they have that white yogurt sauce (tahini) along with hot sauce for them.

I will definitely miss satellite falls for sure. It's sad that the rainforest room continues to rise in price. I was upset they kept pushing those scubs on me and then I found out that was part of the deluxe package which I did not want. I will not be going to Senses spa on this cruise due to the layout (no views of the ocean) along with no hot tubs.

Totally looking forward to Rapunzel's Royal Table and the Tangled show. Definitely cannot wait for this cruise and it will be great to leave from Miami. I will be sure to let you all know my thoughts once I come back.
CDA0F5A5-01DA-4F1C-9A67-8BE9908CD505.jpegCDA0F5A5-01DA-4F1C-9A67-8BE9908CD505.jpeg

I'm sure they have that white yogurt sauce (tahini) along with hot sauce for them.
I think you are mixing up tahini, a sesame paste, with tzatziki, the Greek yogurt sauce. Assuming that is the case, absolute they have that as well as harissa, a spicy sauce/paste. Lots of other options too!

I think you are mixing up tahini, a sesame paste, with tzatziki, the Greek yogurt sauce. Assuming that is the case, absolute they have that as well as harissa, a spicy sauce/paste. Lots of other options too!
Ah yes! I got those two mixed up. Thanks for clarifying and even better that they have both.

Interesting you posted this subject as we have been off the Magic for just over a week and we found ourselves talking about this. So this was our first time on the Magic since the refurb (aqua dunk, etc. added). What I was surprised about was how much deck room was taken up on deck 9 due to slides. Also, with the placement of cabinets, there isn’t as much room to stand around the railing for the parties on deck 10.

My DS who is between the edge and oceaneers clubs, was bored and only went to edge. Now I DID like where edge was located on the Magic. It was easy to get to and accessible if you wanted to “pop” in. It didn’t seem so hidden as was on the larger boats which I liked. But keep in mind, things are on a smaller scale.

Now while I was excited about Rapunzal’s table, and it was just an okay show. Merely my opinion so please folks don’t rip me on this, but it in no way compares to Tiana’s place. Tiana’s place will likely always be my favorite dining experience on ANY DCL cruise. While Rapunzal’s tried, I think the show was a bit too childish almost. And the decor wasn’t anything special at all so except for the lanterns, perhaps more could have been done.

They place a “makeshift” area outside of the theatre for popcorn, etc. so if you want popcorn, etc. then you may have a long line, depending on what’s playing.

Lumiere’s to me is starting to show it’s age. One of my least favorite restaurants. I agree with another person who stated you realize just how small the atrium is.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s NOT to say the smaller boats aren’t magical. The difference is easier to see if you’ve been on them in a tighter time frame than say.......3 years since you‘ve been on the other.

The Wonder was my least favorite outside Tiana’s place but on our cruise a lot of the doors to the decks weren’t working, they seemed to be painting and stuff all over and to me, it seemed to put off a lot of smoke so when on the upper decks, it seemed I breathed that in more. So perhaps these annoyances had a bit to do with my feeling on the wonder. Would I cruise it again? Yes.

The boats still look great compared to others cruise lines. We parked next to a Carnival ship which looked OLD! Not aging gracefully is more like it.

Now what we are having to ask ourselves though, is DCL starting to price us out for the experience and that’s how we are leaning. Also the pirate shows are definately NOT what they used to be. So if you’ve seen the stage shows, etc. then you just have to ask yourself is it worth the big bucks?

With all that said, our first time on the Magic we loved it. This second time, well....wouldn’t say loved but had a good time.

So you’ll have a great time, it will be a great experience for you and your family. I personally am glad you’ll get to go and find out for yourself so you too can one day respond to posts such as this as this experience will be under your belt. I’m sure you’ll find your way to the soft serve quickly. At least all the boats have THAT in common. *wink*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter