Any wild guesses - last minute vacation

RADOPT

DIS Veteran
would love your opinion!

My daughter is going to the university 5 month ahead of schedule at which time I am selling and moving about 120 miles away. I am thinking of a solo WDW trip after the house sells but before I need to be out. I am thinking I will be able to go in October. How is the weather and crowd? How busy is it around Halloween?

As I type this I am thinking I could get get the hotel, ticket, FP, dining, etc and then cancel if necessary. If I were to do that, would I loose anything? I would go at a later time so the ticket would still be good.

I am planning on one night (hopefully get in early enough to do part that day and the rest the next morning) at Universal so I can see Harry Potter areas then go to POP for a few nights and end at AKL for 2 nights.

Before you label me totally insane here is a little Info: it will be just me, the houses are on the market in my area less than 15 days, will be quiting a job here and then looking for a new one when I move, renting until I find the house I want to buy, asking for 60 days post sale at this house. It just seems like a better time, with all the changes, to make the trip at this time. Oh and before the house goes up for sale, almost everything I am keeping will be packed which is much easier since it will be just me and the two dogs in the house.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
I am thinking I will be able to go in October. How is the weather and crowd? How busy is it around Halloween?
Hot but not as bad as Aug/Sept. Pretty busy.

As I type this I am thinking I could get get the hotel, ticket, FP, dining, etc and then cancel if necessary. If I were to do that, would I loose anything?
Nope. Just check the date when you can cancel.

I am planning on one night (hopefully get in early enough to do part that day and the rest the next morning) at Universal so I can see Harry Potter areas then go to POP for a few nights and end at AKL for 2 nights.

Before you label me totally insane here is a little Info:
I don't think anyone here will label you totally insane. Sounds like a fine solo trip to me.

would love your opinion!

My daughter is going to the university 5 month ahead of schedule at which time I am selling and moving about 120 miles away. I am thinking of a solo WDW trip after the house sells but before I need to be out. I am thinking I will be able to go in October. How is the weather and crowd? How busy is it around Halloween?

As I type this I am thinking I could get get the hotel, ticket, FP, dining, etc and then cancel if necessary. If I were to do that, would I loose anything? I would go at a later time so the ticket would still be good.

Before you label me totally insane here is a little Info: it will be just me, the houses are on the market in my area less than 15 days, will be quiting a job here and then looking for a new one when I move, renting until I find the house I want to buy, asking for 60 days post sale at this house. It just seems like a better time, with all the changes, to make the trip at this time. Oh and before the house goes up for sale, almost everything I am keeping will be packed which is much easier since it will be just me and the two dogs in the house.

Thanks!!!
October is hot and humid. It is hurricane season as well.

The end of October won’t be too hot. Especially once the sun sets. I end up wearing a fleece jacket at night, but shorts during the day.

Don't book everything as a package - you can cancel a room with no penalty as long as you do it at least 5 days in advance.

October weather - can be HOT, can be BEAUTIFUL, can have cool evenings. In general - with the exception of the small chance of a hurricane - the weather is usually pretty nice.

October - it's busy. Not like a major holiday week - but not light crowds, either.

Either get a one day Park to Park pass and just plan on seeing the WWOHP parts of the park - or go two full days to Universal/IOA. Just WWOHP doesn't need two days - but if you want to see the rest of the parks - I'd plan two days. One and a half days - you might feel like you overpaid for that ticket.

To be honest - the only part of your plan that seems questionable to me is expecting to find a buyer that will give you 60 days post sale of your house. Good luck with that. I don't know your housing market - but that doesn't happen much around me.

Enjoy all of the major life changes coming up for you. Absolutely celebrate at Disney!

Dawn

I love Disney in October! It's hot but not as insane as August (when I was there this past year it was a high of 85 but in the sun at midday it "felt like" 95), so bring sunscreen & drink lots of water. It's busy but again, not insane. I feel like the crowds the past few years have been more evenly spread than in the past, which is good in the summer but throws people off in the fall & winter. If you can go on weekdays you'll have lighter crowds than weekends, especially if you want to check out Food & Wine. Have fun!

Thank you for all your posts. I really appreciate all of them.

60 days post sale of your house. Good luck with that
Usually it would not happen but the market is insane here - as well as the traffic and prices of everything.

check the days for Mickeys not so scary halloween party, as these days will be more crowded. Weather could be hurricane season

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter