Anyone done Oculus Quest "Vader Immortal" and Galaxy's Edge rides?

erc

DIS Veteran
No spoilers because I haven't tried Galaxy's Edge yet, but I'm just curious as I got my family an Oculus Quest for Christmas and having experienced "Vader Immortal", I was blown away in the immersiveness they have achieved with Virtual Reality. I think Galaxy's edge has to be pretty fantastic to match the Oculus experience. Has anyone experienced both?

Hah. Guess the Oculus shortage really means nobody has seen how cool it is. I won't be able to compare experiences until April. I will update then.

I have a Vive and have done some Star Wars VR. It's cool for a home experience, but in no way does it compare to something like Rise of the Resistance.

That is good to hear. Because the only experience I have had to compare is Star Tours, and to me the Oculus just mothballed that ride.

If you enjoyed Vader Immortal, you should definitely check out the Secrets of the Empire VR experience at The Void. It's an amazing experience, and there's one in both Disney Springs and Downtown Disney.

That being said, comparing VR to Galaxy's Edge is kinda apples to oranges. Galaxy's Edge is both more immersive and less immersive than VR. More immersive because you can walk around freely and experience the incredible imagineering with all of your senses, but less immersive because you're also surrounded by crowds of normally dressed park goers and there's no overarching narrative.

In terms of the rides, I'd say Smuggler's Run is a bit better than the Star Wars VR experiences (especially if you pilot), but RotR is much more immersive and fun.

If you enjoyed Vader Immortal, you should definitely check out the Secrets of the Empire VR experience at The Void. It's an amazing experience, and there's one in both Disney Springs and Downtown Disney.

Agree- it is amazing! I love technology!
But FYI- Downtown Disney has been renamed Disney Springs- so both of those are the same place.

If you've done both Vader Immortal and Secrets of the Empire then you may have noticed a lot of the same models. Vader Immortal started out as a proof of concept for Secrets of the Empire.

Finally got to play through all of Vader Immortal. It was great (especially the third one), but the graphical limitations of the Quest hold it back a bit. I wish they would release a PC version you could play through Oculus Link.

There's a Rift version of Vader Immortal that you should be able to access through a PC-linked Quest. You should be able to download the Rift version for free since you own the Quest version

Finally got to play through all of Vader Immortal. It was great (especially the third one), but the graphical limitations of the Quest hold it back a bit. I wish they would release a PC version you could play through Oculus Link.

I definitely think the resolution can and will get better but they are still pretty nice for VR. I bought the Quest as an impulse purchase before Christmas because I happened to see it at my local Walmart when I had read that it was hard to find. I was blown away with how far VR has advanced and I have become a big fan. I fully expect in the coming years we will see 4K equivalent graphics resolution with VR goggles. That combined with the immersiveness will be mind-blowing.

I definitely think the resolution can and will get better but they are still pretty nice for VR. I bought the Quest as an impulse purchase before Christmas because I happened to see it at my local Walmart when I had read that it was hard to find. I was blown away with how far VR has advanced and I have become a big fan. I fully expect in the coming years we will see 4K equivalent graphics resolution with VR goggles. That combined with the immersiveness will be mind-blowing.

The Rift S is 2560 x 1440. I've used the original Rift and the Quest and neither come close to the Rift S, IMO. It's like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes. But some of that is also the hardware I'm running my Rift S on. I built a PC for VR. I7 9700, GTX 2070... so pretty much a beast when it comes to VR. And I think that's what is holding resolution back right now. They can build the screens, but the hardware to run the headset has got to become more affordable, first.

The Rift S is 2560 x 1440. I've used the original Rift and the Quest and neither come close to the Rift S, IMO. It's like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes. But some of that is also the hardware I'm running my Rift S on. I built a PC for VR. I7 9700, GTX 2070... so pretty much a beast when it comes to VR. And I think that's what is holding resolution back right now. They can build the screens, but the hardware to run the headset has got to become more affordable, first.

But the Quest has a 2880 X 1600 OLED. It's a pretty amazing screen compared to my Vive. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is how Oculus Link works with Steam VR games. Oculus games work pretty flawlessly, but I get a decent amount of jitter depending on the Steam VR game. I was going to sell my Vive, but I may just keep it until I can see how Half Life Alyx performs.

But the Quest has a 2880 X 1600 OLED. It's a pretty amazing screen compared to my Vive. The only thing I'm not thrilled with is how Oculus Link works with Steam VR games. Oculus games work pretty flawlessly, but I get a decent amount of jitter depending on the Steam VR game. I was going to sell my Vive, but I may just keep it until I can see how Half Life Alyx performs.

I have not tried the Rift S, but I have read other opinions that the higher refresh rate on the Rift can make up for the slightly lower resolution. I'm not sure. I would have to try the same game on both. I just know I love being able to take it anywhere and show friends. without being connected to a high-end PC.

Back to the original topic... I have done both. And the VR ride at Disney Springs. All a bit different. I would do them all. :)

I have not tried the Rift S, but I have read other opinions that the higher refresh rate on the Rift can make up for the slightly lower resolution. I'm not sure. I would have to try the same game on both. I just know I love being able to take it anywhere and show friends. without being connected to a high-end PC.

I think it comes down to hardware when you're comparing the Rift S to the Quest. You're running off a more powerful graphics processor when you have a high-end PC. The differences between the Rift S and the original Rift aren't just resolution. The tracking is also improved on the Rift S.

Coming back to the VOID experience, what makes it different is the environment. The furniture built to fit the mapping. The heat you feel. Actually picking up weapons. It's worth doing.

I played vadar immortal this week and my battery died in the middle of it. It's incredible. If anyone is interested in fitness apps for the quest, see my post today on the community board. We got the quest for the pandemic (hubby did). Now I use it daily.

I played a little Star Wars Tales from the Galaxy's Edge on a friend's Quest 2. Its pretty amazing. My son recently bought a Quest 2. It's a fantastic device. It reminds me alot of the Wii, in that, its inexpensive ($299), its a very unique, different type of gaming experience, its quickly becoming the most popular console in its class, and there are alot of fun unique games for it.
Several aspects about the Quest 2 have surprised me:
1) its about the same quality as the $1000 Vive Cosmos Elite headset.
2) it works alot better than I thought it would.
If you're thinking about getting VR, the Quest 2 is easily the best value out there. The resolution is similar to the Valve Index (considered the gold standard of VR). The only difference is, the Quest 2 is wireless. The Quest 2 can play stand alone games that are exclusive to Oculus headsets, like ILM labs Vader Immortal and Star Wars Tales from the Galaxy's Edge and Jurassic World. But, the Quest 2 can also hook up to a gaming PC and play PC VR games like Star Wars Squadron and Half-Life Alyx.
Its the best of both worlds. It can even play those PC VR games wirelessly! Something the Valve index can't even do.

I think it looks better on the quest 2. Tales from Galaxy's Edge definitely looks better on the Quest 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!