Anyone done the Conch train or Trolly in Key West

jpinj1

Earning My Ears
It sounds pretty reasonable if only for an hour, hour and half, what is it like?? What is sloppy joes and do you get a chance to shop?? Which is better the trolly or the train? Going with a then 11 yr old boy and a 7 yr old girl. Any info appreciated, was also thinking aboiut the Glass bottom boat but this is cheaper and might be as much fun?!:jester:

We did the trolley tour in Key West with our 8yo son. We selected the trolley because it makes stops and you can get off and catch another trolley later. We were able to see a few of the points of interest we wanted to see and still get a mini-tour of the city without having to rent a vehicle. It is my understanding that the train tour is continuous and you aren't able to get off and back on.

I can't help with the other questions. Have a great time!

I did the Conch Train on the spur of the moment in Key West. It is within walking distance of the ship, and the tour lasts either an hour and a half or two hours (can't remember exactly), with a rest break halway through. I had to leave at the rest break because I had a spa appointment booked, but the first half of the tour was great. They take you to see the sights such as Hemmingway's house, the unique architecture of Key West, etc.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We also went on the trolly through DCL excursions and it was very interesting. We didn't get the break like Barb did though. Our driver was also very amusing and kept us very entertained!

Hi this is Shirley and as almost everyone knows I was born and raised in KW - if you will email me at snelsonbrown@aol.com - I would be more than happy to send you a bunch of stuff on Key West that will help you with the ins and outs.
Any questions, just call the shop at 800-950-4559
Always
Shirley

Try the site listed below. It shows the different tours and explains the differences. We booked the trolley on line and received a 10% discount. You do not neet to book this through DCL. It is only a short walk to where you catch the trolley. When you book on line you will get your tickets and a route map in the mail. The map helped us decide where to get on and off the trolley during the day.
Sloppy Joes is a famous bar in KW. It has a gift shop located to one side so you don't have to fight the partyers to get a shirt. Ernest Hemingway at one time referred boxing matches here.

http://www.historictours.com/keywest/

Enjoy. We did,

Russ

Beware if you do the Conch Train in the summer months.....IT WAS VERY, VERY HOT.....we were melting. They give you some hand fans to use, but it was super hot, and I like the heat. Bring a bottle of water to keep hydrated.

MJ

I have vacationed twice in Key West. The first time we did the conch tour on the LAST day...and wished we had done it earlier because it provided a great overview of the city and we would have done different things if we had been aware of them.

The second trip we did the conch train on the first day so we could remember what we missed!

The conch train is open air and is hot in the summer. I think the trolley is enclosed, but not sure. I enjoyed it and felt it was worth the money. If you are only going to be in KW for the cruise stop it's a good way to see the island quickly.

You only stop once, and that's for a bathroom break at the Conch Train gift shop on Duval. I kind of remember picking people up somewhere along the way, but not certain. We rode the city bus a couple times too.

We did the trolley. (not through Disney) There are quite a few pick up and drop off places with the trolley. It is open air. You can see and do quite a bit this way. I think there were 9 stops (I can't seem to find any of my stuff from Key West--navigators or brochures) We had been to Key West a few times before, but it had been about 7 years since we had been there.

When you take the trolley, you get some history and info about the Island. You can get off at any of the stops, tour, look around, etc. then get back on the next trolley that comes around. They come every 20 minutes or so. It gave us the opportunity to visit the Southernmost Point without having to walk *forever*!

Sue Ellen

We were in Key West in July. We decided not to do the conch train, cause by the time we went to the museums & things we wanted to see we wouldn't be spending much time on the conch train. So we took the shuttle bus which is air conditioned and if i remember right we paid one price ( much cheaper then the conch train) and you could get on and off several times.

The link posted by "ruvidu" is a good site for the trolley/train tour of Key West. We actually took this company's tour of Savannah last year and it was wonderful. As soon as I saw that it was the same company I decided to book through the site (and get the 10% discount) instead of through DCL. Another advantage is not waiting around for the DCL excursion to get organized. We can just head out and enjoy!

Check out www.historictours.net

my family did the conch train, and my son loved it. It was a quick and easy way to make it around the whole island in an hour or so, and to see the highlights. We probably will set out on foot next time now that we have had a good overview of the island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter