Anyone else affected by Ontario College strike?

MamaLema

DIS Veteran
My older 2 boys are both in college and it's so frustrating!

I do support the teachers but I can't help think how much I paid for both of them to go.

Hope it doesn't last too long

My older 2 boys are both in college and it's so frustrating!

I do support the teachers but I can't help think how much I paid for both of them to go.

Hope it doesn't last too long
Yes, hubby is on contract but was still able to vote -- was there at the opening to vote NO.

So annoying, it doesn't matter what they say the students will be the ones who lose out -- I DID lose my year during the strike 33 years ago because I wasn't able to show up the first day back to classes after the staff had been out for 3 weeks because it was the day after we were married!

My DD is in university, so not affected by the college situation, I have HUGE issues with how things run though. Her tuition is over $8000 and she has had one class that didn't start until 2 weeks after the others due to construction in the building...nothing has been said about making up that time. She has another class that the prof said on the first day that most of the time he would only keep them for 45 minutes...not the two hours that it is scheduled. They had frosh the week of labour day so classes didn't start until the following week, now it's reading week next week and last day of classes for the semester is Dec 4th....WTH? Second semester is equally as short, she will be finished school the first week of April. To summarize...she hardly goes to school and I'm paying in total about $20,000.

My youngest DS is affected by the strike. I keep telling him he needs to keep up with his reading and to work on as many of the assignments as he can. So far I'm getting the rolling eyes response. I hope that will change when this thing drags on into week 2. The president of their college was interviewed on TV the other day and she told students to keep up with their course load as she felt things would be moving at hyper speed once they do return. (Great news, DS has a processing speed issue and doesn't do well at hyper speed).

I'll go nag some more after dinner.

Last edited:

My husband teaches one class on contract this semester. He doesn't vote on the strike. He's hoping it will end quickly as what he teaches really needs the benefit of the in class hours. He can't just skip a lesson and like Ottawamom said, it's going to require speeding through things if they don't get back soon.

Students are paying customers at this level. They are not getting what they paid for.

A dear family friend of ours is a 3rd year student. She's been doing whatever she can to complete any assignments that had been posted in advance. However, some courses just don't lend themselves to working ahead and actually require teaching. Statistics, for example. And then trying to push a course like statistics through in a very short period of time will be extremely demanding on the students who are having a tough enough time with the course at regular speed. She's very stressed and I'm very curious to see how it ends up getting handled.

I remember a few years ago there was a strike when my friend was attending York University. She paid for a whole semester of school and only ended up going for approx. 2-3 weeks because the strike lasted so long. It was ridiculous and I don't understand how the schools can get away with charging so much money and then not providing what was paid for.

I am currently in school so this is affecting me. We were to be writing midterms last week so we missed those. Not happy.

There was a 2 (or 3) week strike that started on the Tuesday after reading week when I was in college 10 years ago. What made it even more frustrating was that of my classes exactly one was a teacher on contract but I still had to miss weeks of classes. One class was a very physical class that took place in a gym every week and our take home midterm supposed to be worth 20% ended up being my whole grade. I had my lowest average that semester and ended up with a B in that class. It was my final semester and really pissed me off. I hadn't even had an A- since first semester!

So DD and I had a chat on Saturday about the strike and she tells me that there is talk of the Ontario universities also going on strike. She has no idea what the issues are but I will lose my mind if she gets ripped off this year.

You know I understand that people want fair working conditions etc however this is not at all right when you are paying tuition. This is not public school. I would really like to know how they can get away with screwing over the students.

So DD and I had a chat on Saturday about the strike and she tells me that there is talk of the Ontario universities also going on strike. She has no idea what the issues are but I will lose my mind if she gets ripped off this year.

You know I understand that people want fair working conditions etc however this is not at all right when you are paying tuition. This is not public school. I would really like to know how they can get away with screwing over the students.
Agreed. My dd is also in university in third year. It's astronomical what it costs these kids (and their parents) to go to these schools and it appears that the only people who actually suffer in this scenario are the students who are PAYING CUSTOMERS .The students are the only ones who don't have a voice at the bargaining table. Makes me so mad for them.

Agreed. My dd is also in university in third year. It's astronomical what it costs these kids (and their parents) to go to these schools and it appears that the only people who actually suffer in this scenario are the students who are PAYING CUSTOMERS .The students are the only ones who don't have a voice at the bargaining table. Makes me so mad for them.
You are exactly right. I can't think of any other scenario that a business fails to provide what the customer pays for and gets away with it.

Both my kids where put in the drivers seat with taking care of applications and deadlines etc for uni. I'm wondering if there is some sort of T&C type thing they sign that covers the losses in the event of a strike. You know....it tells you you are SOL in fancy legal lingo that no one understands.

Technically, as voters, you're supposed to gripe to your MLA so that pressure is put on management.

But I agree about the kids getting the shaft. Even if they gave you your fees back, they still lose that semester. And, as pp said, the marks can be affected, which would affect your ability to get any scholarships for the next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!