Anyone else thinking of cancelling their fall room reservations because of Covid

I have a solo trip planned for early October. I am struggling with a number of things, one being finding a mask comfortable enough to wear. But I have the benefit of flexibility. My work only requires 2 weeks notice. I am at the wait and see point and hoping that the cases in Florida get under control and that I can find a mask that works for me better then the ones that I have been using.

We were originally scheduled for end of May. We then rescheduled it to June and then on to September. We're DVC members and had booked our original trip with 2018 banked points. We also have to bank our 2019 by 7/31. So we are in a tough spot because we don't want to lose our 2018 points.

We do have a plan though! It'll only be me and my husband, the kids will be staying home due to school. We're coming from South Texas and we plan to drive only making stops for gas and bathroom breaks. I'll be packing our lunch, snacks and dinner for the drive. Once we are inside the Disney bubble were in it for the whole trip. I'm still trying to decide if we should use Disney transportation or drive our own car to the parks and DS. I see the pros of driving but my poor DH likes to park the car for a week and use Disneys gas! LOL

Our wait and see for November is looking less promising. My son in law has been furloughed and is now laid off. IF he is fortunate enough to find another job quickly, he probably won’t have vacation time. If he remains unemployed in November (with the additional $600 per week about to expire), they won’t want to spend the money on vacation. 😢

We cancelled our December trip. Not such a big deal since we were planning a bigger for the 50th next year. Hopefully things will improve by then. I get it why some people like the low crowds now, but to me the crowd is part of the ambiance and experience of Disney. I don't want wall to wall people, but it would be kinda spooky to me to feel like no one else is in the park....

Did you drive from Austin? How long was the drive?
Glad you had a good time.
Thanks. Yes, on the way down we stopped outside of Pensacola, and on the way back in Biloxi. Ended up being about 16 hours of driving each way.

I booked a solo trip in 2 weeks. Can't pass up the low crowds and the fact that a CCV studio was available. That, and due to other family cancelling we have some extra points to use up. Our annual family trip is next month and we're definitely going on that as well. I figure if I could survive Destin over July 4th (where everyone acts like there is no pandemic at all), Disney will be fine with all the precautions they're taking. No paint-by-numbers virus map and scary soundtrack will stop me! I'll just wear my mask and take the usual precautions. I'm sure it'll be just fine. :)

I hope to still fly from Georgia for my annual December trip.

But so many things are changing so rapidly recently.

The increasing SARS-CoV-2 hospitalizations and increasing ICU admissions and increasing deaths.

The possibility of guaranteeing in Georgia and Florida. I wouldn't want to do that in WDW.

And thinking about all of the families worried about losing their job or taking care of their families or paying their bills or trying to find new jobs or family admitted to hospitals.

It is just too much going on for me.

I can't imagine not being by loved one's bedside when they may have to expire alone.

Our normal Oct. trip has been moved to May 2021 and we still plan to do another Oct. trip in 2021. We hope this will work out for us and everyone else who is also trying to plan a trip. Stay Safe!

DVC owners - Sandy & I canceled NOV 2020. So did my eldest son & Daughter. We did this MONTHS ago. No XMAS Party, few Restaurants, limited attractions, Airline uncertainty... Just not worth it to us.

Sandy & I are booked for APR 2021. Got a great deal on airfare from Delta, bought two NEW Gold Passes (just under the wire, they start on REDEMPTION, up to Dec 2030). Given DVC rules? We could cancel APR 2021 middle of March. GPs not redeemed? The beat goes on :). Airfare? Given Delta's great deal - we would loose $180.

We are all engaged in defensive booking.

Our State's numbers are starting to rise again after doing so much better. People are doing stupid things and I'm seeing too many people without masks. Our Governor has initiated a 14-day quarantine or positive test restriction, much like NY, on trips to many states and that includes Florida. Soon college students will be returning to the State and there is no plan in place on how to deal with that. 😬. Our trip is in December but I'm still thinking without a vaccine that the most selfless thing to do would be to cancel. We also would have to purchase park tickets and seeing the cost of those and the probability of reduced park hours just isn't something I'm willing to invest in at this time. Now from my kind of selfish side: The main reason for going in December for me is the events and enjoying the decorations in the parks in the evening, fireworks, MK Christmas party, Candlelight Processional, dessert parties, After Hours, etc. so with decreased park hours and the possible cancellation of many events that I was planning to do, it does make it a bit easier to swallow. Only a bit though. 😣

Last edited:
We are not into meeting characters, parades, shopping and TS meals so we are looking forward to going back to WDW. The only downsides for us are not having the shows, HEA and Fantasmic. We have a late Sept, late Nov and late Jan trip planned. We have no plans to cancel due to covid. Even if we had a trip scheduled for tomorrow we would go.

Trip planned for October. Only way we'd cancel is if 14-day quarantine is required for Michigan coming into Florida or the Dis closes...which it would be cancelled for us.

Unless WDW closes again we are still planning on going. This is our third time rescheduling and I am not going to miss it. We will take precautions like renting a car instead of Disney transportation, wear masks, and avoid crowded spots, but life is too short to stop living.
Watching the numbers in Florida do worry me, but I also worry about getting it and bringing it home everyday I go to work or the grocery store.

Well I’m very sad to say I will be cancelling our trip for beginning of Oct. by tomorrow. I’m still trying to see what happens with our DVC points. When we were cancelled by Disney in March I thought October would be fine but not looking like it. Southwest changed our direct flights to multiple airport stops and Florida would technically put us in quarantine although our state is in pretty good Covid shape now. I just hope we don’t lose all our points.

I had an October trip that I cancelled and had 1 week in December that I have just increased to 11 days. Really want to go and made my flight arrangements, which cost me nothing...i have the luxury though of total flexibility and can cancel my vacation days, my plane, and my Disney resort any time up until November 19th. I realize that a lot of people don't have these options. These definitely are uncertain and difficult times for everyone. Many things change it seems even daily. I dont think anyone can appreciate your specific situation really in these crazy times. Only you will know whats right for you and your family. Much good luck with making your final decision.

We rebooked our August trip for late October. At this point as long as parks are open, we are going.

I rebooked for November. It’s so depressing watch the YouTube videos of those there with the low crowds walking on rides. I wish I didn’t cancel after watching them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter