Anyone ever try an Impromptu visit to the World?

eliza61

DIS Veteran
I generally find that in any relationship, especially one with kids there is the 1 person who usually handles the "planning" in said relationship. For my household it's me. My dh's participation falls into one of 3 catergories.
1. "Don't worry hon, I'll handle it."
2. I'll organize the trip but I would like every one's opinion. and lastly
3. "I could ask a divorce lawyer for her opinion"

Due to an unexpected :banana: end of the year bonus from both our jobs and annual pass left over from last August my dh suggested an impromptu quick visit to the world. We're looking toward the last long weekend in February or the first one in March?. His challenge: Drop the General Patton impersonation and simply find out what's available and book it! We won't be using our points since we already have those planned. I'm going to check what AP rates are available. No ADR's :scared1: no day by day itineraries, etc. etc.
Right now I'm in the middle of planning his 50th birthday and my twin sons 16birthday, so all the men in my life are pretty much spacing out from vacation question.

Has anyone just "winged" it at the world? How did it turn out? Should I just get a phone with a really long cord and dial in the closet?

Just wondering

Sorry, no. I'm not a commando person, but I always have an idea of what we're going to do. It's beats "I don't care, what do you want to do" when we get there. I usually think well, this weekend, we are going to See Wishes, Fantasmic, and go to eat at Le Cellier, which I do book in advance, and yes, let's spend the last day at AK, so we can eat lunch at Tasker House. Sometimes we're just thinking that we'll play mini-golf and see the stunt show. I do like to have some idea of why we're going to Florida and let relaxation take over when we get to the resort.

This has worked for us, only 1 time were we really disappointed.

Have a great weekend!!!

Bobbi

PS. I think your DH is lucky, and maybe DH's in general. For his 60th, I planned a 3 night DCL cruise and a night at VWL afterward. For my 60th, I got a bouquet of flowers and a nice card. Oh I do wish he would have planned something .... true we already did have a Jan. trip to Florida planned, but I don't think I'm going to take a chance if I make it to 70...I'm planning a trip!!!!(to WDW and I don't care if we've just been there!):rotfl:

yes - now I have food allergies and although the WDW restuarants try - it can take easily take twice if not three times as long to do my order than a normal one - that is a heck of a long time not in a park.

when you add to my problem with the sun - well just say I love the kitchen and kitchennett at DVC resorts.

also love the Pop - great food court - they don't try to do anything fancy - my biggest allergies are pepper, rye and oats - so far no reaction to anything at Pop!!!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

Pepper is the one that most of the restuarants have a BIG problem with - it is something a chef adds without thinking.

but the parks I just pick one. I have an annual pass so if the park I picked that day is too crowded just head to another one.

try to enjoy even the transportation....

be flexible. don't decide before you get there - that you MUST ride that one ride - you will be back - you are a DVC member - so you will definitely be back.

have fun first!!!

I do this kind of thing frequently--at least once or twice per year. I am finding it much more difficult to book DVC for any of these--though I still always try to do that first! I usually plan to be in one park per day to take the edge off of a commando plan and since I also make no ADR's and we pretty much just use CS I hve found it works really well for us. WE all go with no expectations or preconcieved plans except that we will be in a park and we will eat at some point in time!:lmao: . These have been some of our most memorable trips. Good luck and have fun!

I planned a trip one week out last March - literally, I was booking the room and the flights one week before departure day. I was coordinating with friends who were going, so I just booked at the same resort they were staying at, and off we went. I did decide which park each day and made a few reservations for meals accordingly with relatively little trouble (though I wasn't asking for anything all that hard to get, apparently).

I think it was one of the best trips I've been on.

If you really want to go, I think it might be wise to go head and call CRO and see what the options are, and book something if it seems appropriate. If your husband dislikes your choice, it's not too late to change, if you are booking room-only. JMO, but if he's too busy, even if it is normally his domain, he may thank you for taking care of it.

I have been known to book my Disney hotel from the airport. Who needs a plan?

I went last Sunday and Monday before a meeting in Tampa on Tuesday. Flew down Saturday afternoon and spent that night at AK on an AP rate. At 5:30 PM I went to Jiko where I was told they were booked all evening, but if I came back at 6 maybe they would have cancellations. At 6 I was told they would seat me then.

Monday at Epcot at 1 PM I was seated with no wait at Rose and Crown.

My only advance planning was to book the Hidden Treasures of the World Showcase tour on the Thursday before I left.

We go between 2 and 4 times a year. Outside of the room and flight reservations, everything else is on the fly. (Except maybe one or two ADRs).

I am much happier reacting to weather, crowd levels, etc. rather than having a plan.

We know most of the restaurant menus (at least the highlights) by heart, and let the mood sway our decisions.

Now, I do put together a spreadsheat with all the park opening and closing times as well as EMH and parade and fireworks times. I shrink this down to credit card size, laminate it, and stick it in my wallet. That way we have all that information handy.

are the DVC resorts always at 100% or could a member call and say "I want 4 days next week in a studio in any DVC resort" and have a chance of getting a room?

When friends and I go, we plan some meals but most days, wing everything. Doesn't always work out the way we would like, but we deal. For example, last May, we started out in AK then decided to go to MK but have dinner beforehand. There were 5 of us and nothing was available for a ts meal in MK or any or any the MK resorts (unless we wanted to eat around 8 pm). In the end, we had a great dinner at Columbia Harbor House.

We usually decide what park to hit either the night before or that morning. Sometimes we plan ahead for one or two restaurants but even that doesn't mean we'll start out in that park.

Be flexible and you will be fine.

Targuard, depends on the time you want to travel. There are times when there literally are no studios available at any DVC. Example, a couple of years ago, two friends and I went over Mothers' Day weekend. We made the decision about two weeks before. We moved every day. Flew in Sat. and stayed at OKW, no room on Sunday at any DVC property so we moved to Yacht Club. Then on Monday, moved back to OKW. I do not recommend this but for one trip it was fun (plus we never stayed at the Yacht Club so it was an experience). On the other hand, sometimes you get a pleasant surprise. A couple of Christmas' ago I called a week before the Holiday weekend and found a studio at BCV. Even the CM at MS was surprised and I was delighted!

Cyn

Last year I had a business trip to Orlando and added a night at BCV (Thursday night, studio) about a week before. I would have stayed longer but that was Super Bowl Weekend for the Steelers.

I surprised my wife with a quick trip to WDW about 3 months after our little one was born. Mom and Dad inlaw kept the little one (and boy did we miss her) but it was a nice relaxing trip.

You will enjoy it.

I did this a couple of years ago and it worked out fine. I got an email from SW air and they were having a big sale flights to Orlando for $39.00 each way, I got a rental car for $25.00/day and Boardwalk had space with one weeks notice so I jumped on it and we had a blast. We did not have time to plan our "fun" so we went to things we normally did not see and had a blast. Just go and have fun without structure....... Good Luck :woohoo:

was an impromptu. A couple of years ago while at a family 4th of July party. Some family members and I discovered we all had the next 12 days off. Originally we were going to spend a couple of quiet days at home, maybe go to Cape Cod for a couple days and stay at our families house who were planning on going to NH for the week.

Then the BRILLIANT idea!!!!

We started talking WDW. I got online and figured it out that night. Got our hotel. We canceled all previous plans. Jumped in the car 1 day (morning) later and had one of the best trips ever.

We went with the flow and got lucky with a couple of meals. We got walk up breakfast at CP one morning. Got an ADR for Alfredos for dinner. We waited 40 min for Rainforest at DTD. we put our names in as soon as we got there and then walked around. It worked out well. We did eat mostly CS meals that trip, but it was all good.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!

We now own DVC so we tend to plan now, but my family often talks about the "impromptu" Disney trip as one of the best!:thumbsup2

The World is ... well ... The World ... Impromptu trips are part of the fun! We generally end up going on one of these once or twice per year. Like you, we either end up with some bonus cash or some extra time off and just call and get rooms. We've even done impromptu DVC stays a couple of days ahead. ;)

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter