Anyone find an "easy" way to get toned up?

Queen of the WDW Scene

It's only MY opinion, YOU decided to quote it.
I've lost 53lbs and ultimately I'd love to lose anywhere from 5-17 more.
My arms, tummy, and thighs are still wiggly and jiggly.

Its been hard to find something that I can do because I have narrowing of disc space in my neck, a slight rotator cuff tear, and bursitis in my knees and under normal circumstances none impact my daily exercise routine (walking) but when I start doing strength training they all flare up. (sit ups strain my neck, push ups/plank hurts my shoulder, squats/lunges bother my knees).

I'm looking for something that is easy on my body but effective.
I knows that's probably asking for too much lol.
But does anyone have any suggestions?

Unfortunately I think the best thing to help you would be strength training, which sounds like would be hard for you. Hopefully you find something, but congrats on your progress so far! That is great!!

Congratulations on your weight loss! I think with your health issues, it might be worth it to start really slow on strength training. I think a Physical Therapist might be the best starting point. A professional would be able to show you how to modify certain exercises and help you slowly build muscle to support movements and then you can move on a bit maybe.

Also, some of the extra wiggle will change over time. I once read that the skin needs at least a year to follow the lost weight. So, if your weight loss was rather recent, you should still be able to see some improvement.

I'd join a gym and meet with a trainer for a few months. I wanted to gain strength and did this very thing through the summer. I have a bad knee due to being hit by a car thirty years ago. He worked within my limitations and we also worked on strengthening the knee. It was money well spent. I'm on my own now.

WTG! on your loss and healthier lifestyle!!

I agree with meeting with a PT or trainer to get started. but wanted to add that I find using a BOSU or stability ball for strength training helps take the shock off my trouble joints

I hope to lose more weight myself! The fastest toning exercise I have ever experienced was Callanetics. Some people compare it to Pilates, but it is different (and more quickly effective). It was created in the 1980's by Callan Pinckney, and has been recently updated by Sandra Hanna and Lacey Kondi. You can order the DVD's for around $10 from Amazon (I'd start with Callanetics: 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours) or you can access a streaming service at Callanetics.tv. Please don't be put off by the 80's hair and music - the exercises are incredibly difficult but as effective as they are hard! It will be especially great for you with your injuries (very safe for injuries, especially the back) and because you have recently experienced successful weight loss (so the toning shows up more quickly). Good luck!

Last edited:
Like other people have said, a Physical Therapist or a Trainer would be your best bet.

Ideally, for crunches/sit-ups, you're not supposed to use your neck. You're supposed to use your abs or even your chest. The way I was taught is to pick a spot on the ceiling and stare at it while I'm doing crunches to avoid the "neck pull." But I don't know enough about your neck to know if this would help you or not. That's why a Physical Therapist or a Trainer would be ideal in this situation.

Yoga or Pilates would probably be good for you. I pulled my quad when I was playing soccer. So, I couldn't do my normal workout routine for a few days. I switched to yoga to keep the strength training going.

edit: In addition to that, a doctor should be signing off on these workouts. We don't know if you should be putting strain on those body parts or if you should be letting them relax to heal. When my husband had back surgery, his doctor signed him up for PT and specifically said "no crunches/sit-ups/or the like" because he had a back fusion. Everything else was okay though (even if it hurt a little).

I would definitely try a couple sessions with a trainer. They will work with you. And you might want to ask about water aerobic type classes.
And congratulations on your weight loss!

Hey guys OP here.
I first posted this about 10 months ago.
I've since lost about 10 more pounds.
I found a great workout that I can do however I found that I easily bulk up and my clothes became much less flattering so I'm currently focusing on cardio a bit more so when I do start the toning exercises again hopefully I won't bulk as much.

Hey guys OP here.
I found a great workout that I can do however I found that I easily bulk up and my clothes became much less flattering so I'm currently focusing on cardio a bit more so when I do start the toning exercises again hopefully I won't bulk as much.
congrats on losing! It's always a great feeling, isn't it?
Have you tried yoga?

Hey guys OP here.

Congrats on the progress!!!

Just a little FYI, it can definitely be a lot different for everyone, but typically once you start gaining that muscle you will feel like you're bulking up, but it's just smoke and mirrors. You typically build the muscle, then lose the fat, and then you really notice the difference. Women really need to try to 'bulk up' in order for it to truly happen. Maybe try integrating them together now - do one or two days of each a week instead of just one or the other!

Congrats on the progress!!!

Just a little FYI, it can definitely be a lot different for everyone, but typically once you start gaining that muscle you will feel like you're bulking up, but it's just smoke and mirrors. You typically build the muscle, then lose the fat, and then you really notice the difference. Women really need to try to 'bulk up' in order for it to truly happen. Maybe try integrating them together now - do one or two days of each a week instead of just one or the other!
I was doing both daily.

Yoga doesn't interest me. I'm not flexible and dont have good balance and I dont care to work on those things lol.
Aw I can respect that. How about intermittent fasting?
Last year I went from 147 lbs (early July) - 112 lbs (late Sept) just doing IF and yoga
I swear by both but again, to each their own :hippie:

I've lost 53lbs and ultimately I'd love to lose anywhere from 5-17 more.
My arms, tummy, and thighs are still wiggly and jiggly.

Its been hard to find something that I can do because I have narrowing of disc space in my neck, a slight rotator cuff tear, and bursitis in my knees and under normal circumstances none impact my daily exercise routine (walking) but when I start doing strength training they all flare up. (sit ups strain my neck, push ups/plank hurts my shoulder, squats/lunges bother my knees).

I'm looking for something that is easy on my body but effective.
I knows that's probably asking for too much lol.
But does anyone have any suggestions?

First of all, congratulations on your 53# weight loss, awesome! I lost 30 #'s and know what you are talking about. It sounds like every part of your body has some problems which exercise might exacerbate. I also have severe fibromyalgia and arthritis.
What I found, that works for me, is a gentle, stretching form of hatha yoga. It is NOT the get into a pretzel shape type of yoga. Sometimes it is called yoga for seniors or those with physical problems. The gentle stretching helps keep me flexible. Any type of mild exercise is going to make you sore. The best advice I got from my yoga instructor is to just do what YOU can do. Don't try to keep up with others or overdo it. Your body will tell you to stop or slow down. Everyone has a part of the program that they can do with ease, and other parts which are difficult. I hope this helps you and good luck:)

Last year I went from 147 lbs (early July) - 112 lbs (late Sept) just doing IF and yoga
What kind of intermittent fasting routine did you do? If you don’t mind me asking? I just read a about a study that says it can bring down inflammation in arthritis patients.

What kind of intermittent fasting routine did you do? If you don’t mind me asking? I just read a about a study that says it can bring down inflammation in arthritis patients.
I didn't have set time ratios. It honestly was more like OMAD (one meal a day) or I'd do two lighter meals with at least an 8 hr gap. Basically I kept my calories between 900-1300 per day, with a few lower/fasting days per month. Idk why but I have issues with lots of small meals. Once I get past the initial hunger pangs, I'm golden. IF is amazing and there's sm ways to do it

Yep to each their own.
I've lost 65lbs in 2yrs4mos with my personal style and the changes I've made are easily life long changes for me.
I wouldn't really want to lose that much weight that fast anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!