Anyone from the Maritimes drive to Disney World?

We generally pass through Charlotte on a weekend in either direction. I can see how rush traffic could be heavy, and I would probably listen to my GPS at that point. The 485 Outer isn't much longer than staying on 77 right through the core and would probably be a viable alternative for bypass.

momdad4kids, thanks for the detailed description. I just picked up my TripTik from CAA and they mapped it out for us to take the 84/81 route through Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Hagerstown, then for a short drive on the 66 just south of Winchester Va, to the 17 at Marshall Va, and back to the 95 near Fredericksburg Va. I thought it was quite a bit out of the way around NY/NJ but it is quite similar to the route you described above. It also has us diverting east around Richmond Va, and east around Jacksonville Fl. If the weather is fine we are planning to be at the NY/Conn border about 8pm on a Thursday, and our plan is to switch between two drivers and drive straight through to Savannah Ga, so this NY/NJ/Pa/Ma/Va section would take place roughly from 8pm-8am. Given your experience momdad4kids, does this seem reasonable for a trip in late Feb, reversing the route to come home in mid-March?
I'd avoid the

I'd avoid the 17 to Fredericksburg 95 detour CAA gave you, instead I'd stay 81 through VA and run 64 over to the 95, although the route they gave you is 4 lane, it has level crossings, stop lights and will drop you back on the 95 in what's essentially greater Washington area traffic. CAA did that because its shorter but it will cost you about 2 hrs driving time.

momdad4kids, thanks for the detailed description. I just picked up my TripTik from CAA and they mapped it out for us to take the 84/81 route through Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Hagerstown, then for a short drive on the 66 just south of Winchester Va, to the 17 at Marshall Va, and back to the 95 near Fredericksburg Va. I thought it was quite a bit out of the way around NY/NJ but it is quite similar to the route you described above. It also has us diverting east around Richmond Va, and east around Jacksonville Fl. If the weather is fine we are planning to be at the NY/Conn border about 8pm on a Thursday, and our plan is to switch between two drivers and drive straight through to Savannah Ga, so this NY/NJ/Pa/Ma/Va section would take place roughly from 8pm-8am. Given your experience momdad4kids, does this seem reasonable for a trip in late Feb, reversing the route to come home in mid-March?
I just wanted to add the bypasses around Richmond and Jacksonville are perfectly fine, they'll save you time and aggravation. Watch your speed through the Jacksonville one and through VA, 120 kmh usually won't be an issue. Va state troopers prefer high end cars anyway, They'll pick the Escalade out of a line of mini Van's everytime 👍

You'll be fine, especially at night. That will be the other obstacle if you choose to run the 17, will be limited services at night. If you want to change up the scenery a bit, run 81 down to 77 and pick up 26 in Columbia. we usually route this way with the trucks as it avoids some of the hills crossing over to Richmond on 64. Only hill you have on this route is down Fancy Gap.

We drove from Moncton last winter. Left Moncton on Friday Feb 15th at 2pm and drove to just outside of Boston. Saturday we drove I-95 all the way to Walterboro, SC and finished the drive to Orlando on Sunday Feb 17th. Total of 31 driving hours (one way) and only 1 driver. We did get very lucky with traffic and no major delays on I-95, I personally think it could've gone very badly (traffic wise) if our MA to SC was during a regular work day but it was on Saturday and ended well for us. We spent 4 weeks in Florida and started our return drive again on a Friday. For the return we took the "mountain truckers route" up through I-81, spent our first night in Harrisonburg VA, drove to Bangor on our second day and on into Moncton on our last day.
Would we do this again? probably not, unless we were retired and coming for several months. The drive down may have been exciting with a long vacation ahead of us but the return home was long and exhausting. We are currently here in Florida on our 8th yearly trip in a row and you can rest assured we flew this year. Did we save $ last year? Yes, however we feel our time and mental wellbeing holds value as well. We usually drive from Moncton to Halifax and fly direct out of YHZ, 3 very long tiring days in a car vs. 4 to 4 1/2 hour flight, it's a no brainer for us.
I'm not the type of person who considers travel part of my vacation, I see it as we lost 6 days of our Disney vacation last year, I just want to get and be there asap.
I should add that we are 2 adults in our mid 40's and we found the drive exhausting, I can't imagine what it would be like with kids....anyway, just my opinion because 1 year ago I was on this forum asking the same questions as you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter