Anyone get on a flight right after a race before?

fozziepitysthefool

Mouseketeer
The way our travel plans are looking, we'll be taking a 6-hour flight the evening after our half-marathon (so about 10 hours after finishing the race). We are planning to hobble around the parks for a bit (if we can).

Anyone had to do this before?

I can't change our travel plans, I have One Direction tickets and need to get back. :rolleyes1

Fozzie

I just did it. Ran the Wine & Dine last night, finished in 3:16, changed eventually, rode Soarin twice, drove back to the hotel at 4am, took a shower, got the kids ready with hubby, and drove to Tampa at 4:45 for a 8:25 flight. We were home by noon. It went really flawlessly.

However, I'm very sore, cold from running in the rain, and my toddler won't let me rest. I've been up for over 30 hours at this point...

I just did it. Ran the Wine & Dine last night, finished in 3:16, changed eventually, rode Soarin twice, drove back to the hotel at 4am, took a shower, got the kids ready with hubby, and drove to Tampa at 4:45 for a 8:25 flight. We were home by noon. It went really flawlessly.

However, I'm very sore, cold from running in the rain, and my toddler won't let me rest. I've been up for over 30 hours at this point...

Congratulations! I hear the conditions were not the best. I'm afraid I will be looking at the same thing... up for about 24 hours (unless I can get some sleep on the plane!). :faint:

I ran the Princess in Feb. which was a morning raced and had a 7:30 flight that night. We had a nap, showered, stared at the castle and people watched in the afternoon, late lunch then home. It wasn't bad. But I did go to sleep when I got home. Didn't go and stand for another 3 hrs at a concert. Very brave of you!

I ran the Princess in Feb. which was a morning raced and had a 7:30 flight that night. We had a nap, showered, stared at the castle and people watched in the afternoon, late lunch then home. It wasn't bad. But I did go to sleep when I got home. Didn't go and stand for another 3 hrs at a concert. Very brave of you!

The concert is the day after we get home, so I'll have a day to rest. Otherwise I would be getting home in the afternoon and heading to the concert that evening. I'm not that crazy! :rotfl:

Congratulations! I hear the conditions were not the best. I'm afraid I will be looking at the same thing... up for about 24 hours (unless I can get some sleep on the plane!). :faint:

I did this for the Princess Half earlier this year. After the race, I took a shower, packed up, checked out and then spent the afternoon in Epcot. Our flight was really delayed that evening, so I ended up being awake for 24 hours (other than a tiny bit of sleep on the plane!) It was tiring and I wasn't feeling my best, particularly because I was not used to running in that kind of humidity and I should have hydrated better. Probably not a good idea to drink sangria at Via on a hot day right after running in the humidity.

For other half marathons, I've traveled by car immediately after races and it's been absolutely fine (low humidity, well hydrated, compression socks.) We've traveled anywhere from 2 hours to 6 hours within 30 minutes of a finish. I know the car is different from the altitude of a flight, but some of the same strategies apply.

In January, I'm running the full and flying out next day, which is great when possible. But if it's not possible, I've been fine with hydration, compression socks, and continuing to stretch out my legs as much as possible.

In January, I'm running the full and flying out next day, which is great when possible. But if it's not possible, I've been fine with hydration, compression socks, and continuing to stretch out my legs as much as possible.

Ok great! Thanks for the tips. Will hydrate, stretch (as much as possible) and wear compression socks! :thumbsup2

I just did this for W&D and it wasn't so bad. We stayed for the after party, got back to the hotel around 4:30am, took a shower, then set a wake up call (front desk told us to enjoy our magical nap - lol!), then grabbed a 7:05a Magical Express for a 9:50 flight.

We were definitely tired, but it wasn't all that bad. The worst part was not being able to stretch my legs on the flight. We'll be doing it again for SW in Jan and the only change I'll make is to wear my compressions on the plane and drink kore fluids.

In August I ran the half in Disneyland. Finished up, walked to hotel, showered and caught the shuttle to the airport for a 3:30 PM flight to the east coast. I wanted to avoid a red eye flight and didn't have the additional time to take from work which is why flew so soon after the race.

I kept the compression sleeves on my calves and tried to keep moving around until we had to board the plane. I was tired but fine for the flight home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter