Anyone had a breast reduction?

mom2rb

DIS Veteran
I am going for a consult this week for a breast reduction. I am sick of the back pain and I am afraid of ending up hunched over like my grandmother. I am going to add on a tummy tuck too. The reduction is covered by insurance and I can pay out-of-pocket for the tummy tuck. Has anyone had this surgery? Was the recovery better or worse than you thought that it would be?

Yes, I had a reduction but not a tuck. I was on short term disability for two weeks. Most of the vertical stitches of my y incisions spit so the vertical scars are barely noticeable because the incision basically healed normally. It took nearly four months before I didn’t need gauze in my bra.

I do regret not getting more taken off because I’m one of those lucky ones that have had them grow back. Not as much as before but I would have it done again if I had the resources.

My wife did back in 2006. Totally got rid of her back pain. Recovery to tell the truth was painful, she'd say well worth it.

I have heard that the recovery for the reduction and the tummy tuck is about the same. I would rather be in more pain at the same time than two sets of pain.

I have heard that the recovery for the reduction and the tummy tuck is about the same. I would rather be in more pain at the same time than two sets of pain.
This would probably limit the cost you're paying out of pocket for the tuck too, since you'll already be under and anesthesia is very expensive.

I am going for a consult this week for a breast reduction. I am sick of the back pain and I am afraid of ending up hunched over like my grandmother. I am going to add on a tummy tuck too. The reduction is covered by insurance and I can pay out-of-pocket for the tummy tuck. Has anyone had this surgery? Was the recovery better or worse than you thought that it would be?

In HS my BFF was given a breast reduction from her parents for her graduation gift. (40 some years ago) I just remember her loving her surgery and the results many years later but then over time we didn't keep in touch. But I bet she still loves her graduation "gift". Good luck to you. :goodvibes

I am actually scheduled for the exact same surgery this Friday. I also am having a hernia repair while they're in there. The breast reduction portion is covered by my insurance the rest is out of pocket. I know I will be so glad I did it, but I have to admit I am getting very anxious now that the week is here.

I have to wait until late June for mine. I work at a gymnastics camp in early June. I am going to have to take 3 months off work after the surgery, but I have been offered a tutoring job in the Fall.

I have to wait until late June for mine. I work at a gymnastics camp in early June. I am going to have to take 3 months off work after the surgery, but I have been offered a tutoring job in the Fall.

This week is my window. I am flying home from Disney tonight. We have my son's graduation at the end of May and then a family trip in June, a conference in July... Having it Friday gives me a full 2 months to do nothing. I work from home mainly on a computer so I can work or not work as needed.

I am actually scheduled for the exact same surgery this Friday. I also am having a hernia repair while they're in there. The breast reduction portion is covered by my insurance the rest is out of pocket. I know I will be so glad I did it, but I have to admit I am getting very anxious now that the week is here.

I had a hard time finding a plastic surgeon that takes insurance. I am hoping that I like the one that I am meeting this week. I guess that since so much isn’t covered by insurance, it isn’t worth taking it at all.

I had my consultation before applying for the insurance coverage. They needed to have all the pictures, etc. to add to the approval. I also am given a 6-month window that it must be done or the approval is most likely gone forever. I don't really have bad back pain, but I have a lot of pinched nerves in my neck and have had to have several nerve block shots at the base of my neck in the last couple years. I am just so sick of it all. My hernia causes a lot of digestive issues and pain too.

My insurance already told me that I am covered. I have bruises on my ribs and constant marks on my shoulders.

I hope you have a recliner. I wasn’t made aware of this being the best recovery chair until leaving survey. I only had a stationary chair and a couch.

The tummy tuck was so easy to recover from. Breast surgery it sucks you can’t even use your arms to get up out of bed or a chair, can’t open the refrigerator or get a drink. I couldn’t even open our sliding door to let the dogs out back. I ended up not shutting the sliding door completely so I could fit my hand in and gently and very slowly slide it open. My first day home alone when DH went to work and the kids went to school I was pretty much stuck in the same position on the couch and couldn’t get up. When my son arrived home from school he helped me up. I had to have family reach under and push me up from my back since they couldn’t pull on my arms. Having no use of your arms really really sucks.

My insurance approved it in only 10 days so it wasn't an issue, just that they have the time limit on it. I have the neck pain (letter from my neurologist), rashes, and grooves in the bones (not just skin) of my shoulders.

The breast reduction is more of being discomforting, I have been in a room where people had hernia surgery and they were not comfortable at all. Good luck to you.

I had a hard time finding a plastic surgeon that takes insurance. I am hoping that I like the one that I am meeting this week. I guess that since so much isn’t covered by insurance, it isn’t worth taking it at all.
I had it done is 1986 and insurance covered it. My 28 year old DD wants it done and she has had 2 consults and neither doctor will code it to have it covered by insurance. I hate to say it, but most insurances will only cover if it is coded for after a mastectomy from cancer.

I hope you have a recliner. I wasn’t made aware of this being the best recovery chair until leaving survey. I only had a stationary chair and a couch.

The tummy tuck was so easy to recover from. Breast surgery it sucks you can’t even use your arms to get up out of bed or a chair, can’t open the refrigerator or get a drink. I couldn’t even open our sliding door to let the dogs out back. I ended up not shutting the sliding door completely so I could fit my hand in and gently and very slowly slide it open. My first day home alone when DH went to work and the kids went to school I was pretty much stuck in the same position on the couch and couldn’t get up. When my son arrived home from school he helped me up. I had to have family reach under and push me up from my back since they couldn’t pull on my arms. Having no use of your arms really really sucks.

Good to know. One thing about having it in the Summer is that my boys will be home and can help me and take care of the dogs.

Mine was almost completely covered by insurance. (I think I had to pay less than 200 dollars out of pocket.)

My mother was not impressed by the letter my primary care doctor wrote to get it covered by insurance. The letter said "Lori has large lumpy breasts" and then went on to enumerate the physical and emotional issues they caused.

My mother said couldn't he have come up with a medical name for it. I told her maybe that is the medical name for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!