Anyone had a breast reduction?

When I called my insurance I said “I am a J cup, as in jesus those are big.” They said getting it covered won’t be a problem.

I had it done in 1996 with a 5 month old baby, 2 giant dogs, 2 cats, a husband and a full time job. I was up and shopping at Costco Within days. Back then though, you did stay in the hospital a couple days.

I was back at work in a couple of weeks. To me, it really wasn’t that bad. It was painful the first couple days and taking the stitches out wasn’t pleasant, but that was it.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. One of my best decisions ever. Mine was fully covered by insurance. I do have scars though that can be seen with certain swimsuits. I bet that isn’t an issue these days with medical advances!

I am going for a consult this week for a breast reduction. I am sick of the back pain and I am afraid of ending up hunched over like my grandmother. I am going to add on a tummy tuck too. The reduction is covered by insurance and I can pay out-of-pocket for the tummy tuck. Has anyone had this surgery? Was the recovery better or worse than you thought that it would be?
I haven't had it or needed it, but I once had a coworker who had one and she said the surgery helped.

Thank you for posting this and good luck at your consultation. I am looking into it myself and appreciate hearing others stories. I just this weekend found out my current insurance will cover it at 100%.

I am actually scheduled for the exact same surgery this Friday. I also am having a hernia repair while they're in there. The breast reduction portion is covered by my insurance the rest is out of pocket. I know I will be so glad I did it, but I have to admit I am getting very anxious now that the week is here.
Good luck!

I had my consultation before applying for the insurance coverage. They needed to have all the pictures, etc. to add to the approval. I also am given a 6-month window that it must be done or the approval is most likely gone forever. I don't really have bad back pain, but I have a lot of pinched nerves in my neck and have had to have several nerve block shots at the base of my neck in the last couple years. I am just so sick of it all. My hernia causes a lot of digestive issues and pain too.
Yes, I had my consult and they sent everything to my insurance. The insurance contacted me for more info and then I made another appointment with the surgeon for a pre-op consultation to get the ball rolling.

I hope you have a recliner. I wasn’t made aware of this being the best recovery chair until leaving survey. I only had a stationary chair and a couch.

The tummy tuck was so easy to recover from. Breast surgery it sucks you can’t even use your arms to get up out of bed or a chair, can’t open the refrigerator or get a drink. I couldn’t even open our sliding door to let the dogs out back. I ended up not shutting the sliding door completely so I could fit my hand in and gently and very slowly slide it open. My first day home alone when DH went to work and the kids went to school I was pretty much stuck in the same position on the couch and couldn’t get up. When my son arrived home from school he helped me up. I had to have family reach under and push me up from my back since they couldn’t pull on my arms. Having no use of your arms really really sucks.
YES! I was going to say that last night OP... If you have a recliner, use it. If not maybe consider picking up a cheap one or borrowing one. It was so much easier to like launch myself out of the chair than it was to push myself up. I slept in for probably close to three weeks.

Thought I'd check back into this thread with an update. I had my surgery at 7 on Friday (3/16) morning. Breast reduction, hernia repair, muscle repair and tummy tuck. No complications with the surgery and I was home by around 4. I don't remember a lot of the discussion with the doctor after the surgery, but my husband said they took out less than the 500 CC's in each breast that was planned for with the insurance to make sure it wasn't too drastic of a change. I should be a C cup when all is said and done now. Not sure if that will affect the insurance claim or not? I go back in on Thursday and will get more information then.

I have drains in my abdomen, none in my breasts. My breasts are bandaged and have a support bra over top. That will be removed on Thursday so I haven't really seen anything there. My stomach has a binder on it that I can open and look at. Swelling and such now so who knows what it'll look like when it's all done.

I am camped out in my recliner in the living room. DH slept near me the first 2 nights. Now I just sent the find my phone alert to his phone if I need him during the night. I was home alone during the day yesterday and today. Mostly just need help leaning forward to get my feet on the floor to use my legs to stand (I'm only 5'2). Moving and walking is getting easier each time I am up. The worst pain is my lower back because you have to walk hunched over. I have stayed on top of taking the pain meds and that has helped. They put a nausea patch behind my ear before the surgery that stayed on for 3 days and I had no nausea issues at all thankfully. I wouldn't want to be throwing up!

Mostly I am just sore and sleepy. Sleep a lot.

I have TV trays set up next to my chair and the things that have been most helpful to have on hand is water (I've been drinking about 96 oz per day)with a straw, kleenex, meds, Gas-X, stool softener, back scratcher (use it more to grab at stuff), baby wipes (flushable wipes in the bathroom help there),phone, remote, laptop. Lots of pillows with one laying over my stomach all the time.

Honestly, the pain is not as bad as I had imagined it would be. All the pain is in the tummy tuck/hernia/muscle repair part. Doesn't even really feel like anything happened with my breasts at this point. All in all, so far so good!

Feel free to ask any questions!

Thought I'd check back into this thread with an update. I had my surgery at 7 on Friday (3/16) morning. Breast reduction, hernia repair, muscle repair and tummy tuck. No complications with the surgery and I was home by around 4. I don't remember a lot of the discussion with the doctor after the surgery, but my husband said they took out less than the 500 CC's in each breast that was planned for with the insurance to make sure it wasn't too drastic of a change. I should be a C cup when all is said and done now. Not sure if that will affect the insurance claim or not? I go back in on Thursday and will get more information then.

I have drains in my abdomen, none in my breasts. My breasts are bandaged and have a support bra over top. That will be removed on Thursday so I haven't really seen anything there. My stomach has a binder on it that I can open and look at. Swelling and such now so who knows what it'll look like when it's all done.

I am camped out in my recliner in the living room. DH slept near me the first 2 nights. Now I just sent the find my phone alert to his phone if I need him during the night. I was home alone during the day yesterday and today. Mostly just need help leaning forward to get my feet on the floor to use my legs to stand (I'm only 5'2). Moving and walking is getting easier each time I am up. The worst pain is my lower back because you have to walk hunched over. I have stayed on top of taking the pain meds and that has helped. They put a nausea patch behind my ear before the surgery that stayed on for 3 days and I had no nausea issues at all thankfully. I wouldn't want to be throwing up!

Mostly I am just sore and sleepy. Sleep a lot.

I have TV trays set up next to my chair and the things that have been most helpful to have on hand is water (I've been drinking about 96 oz per day)with a straw, kleenex, meds, Gas-X, stool softener, back scratcher (use it more to grab at stuff), baby wipes (flushable wipes in the bathroom help there),phone, remote, laptop. Lots of pillows with one laying over my stomach all the time.

Honestly, the pain is not as bad as I had imagined it would be. All the pain is in the tummy tuck/hernia/muscle repair part. Doesn't even really feel like anything happened with my breasts at this point. All in all, so far so good!

Feel free to ask any questions!

I am using this as a shopping guide. Thank you so much for the update. I booked mine for June. My Dr did tell me that if I use insurance, I would have to get quite a bit removed. I would end up being an A cup. I am going to pay for it myself. I am going to go down to a D. That would still be smaller than I was at 14. He also said that the constant back and neck pain would be gone almost immediately. I am borrowing a recliner chair and losing as much weight as possible before the surgery. The more I lose the skin that can be removed during the tummy tuck.

I have not had one myself, but am close to someone who has.

There are certain structures of the breasts that they leave intact, especially in women of child bearing age. So the ductile structures stay in place. Only the tissue around them is removed, and the nipples readjusted. (So the option of breast feeding may still be preserved.) This will limit how much can come off, and what "cup" size someone will end up with. So someone may go into it wishing to wind up a "B" cup, but in fact, may wind up a "D" cup. Still, if someone is considering a breast reduction, there is a lot of excess tissue that can be removed so that things like back pain, indented shoulders, neck cracking, unwanted attention, ill fitting clothes, etc., can be rectified.

Most people wish they'd done it a lot sooner!

Good luck to anyone who's having it done! Go buy yourself some great new tops! :goodvibes

I am really curious about this.

I just had my annual in Feb, and my gyn noted it in my chart yet again that I have very heavy breasts, tugging, pulled on my neck, strains on my ribs, and a near permanent indentations on my shoulders.
I have tried many minimizing bras, and been fitted several times for proper fit, but with very minimal relief.

When I brought up the topic of finding out about reductions, she made several comments about how insurances now-a-days require a strict exercise program and heavy duty diet to see if you can reduce the size naturally through weight loss. She told me that unless I was willing to commit to that for at least 6 months, that it not likely wasn't worth trying to peruse getting insurance to cover it. But she did say that her noting it in my chart shows a history of this being a chronic problem.

Has anybody's else doctor told them similar info ?

I had mine it will be 3 years in May
The best thing I ever did
My surgeon was the best
I barely had any pain and took percocets only 1 day post op
Was back to work in 2 weeks

I just had my annual in Feb, and my gyn noted it in my chart yet again that I have very heavy breasts, tugging, pulled on my neck, strains on my ribs, and a near permanent indentations on my shoulders.
I have tried many minimizing bras, and been fitted several times for proper fit, but with very minimal relief.

When I brought up the topic of finding out about reductions, she made several comments about how insurances now-a-days require a strict exercise program and heavy duty diet to see if you can reduce the size naturally through weight loss. She told me that unless I was willing to commit to that for at least 6 months, that it not likely wasn't worth trying to peruse getting insurance to cover it. But she did say that her noting it in my chart shows a history of this being a chronic problem.

My insurance said it was covered, my doctor said that the rules for getting it covered are strict. I am going to pay for it out of pocket, it wasn’t worth the hassle just to get denied later. They have a credit card for medical bills, I was offered 18 months no interest. I just paid off DH’s car, so I am going to pretend that I didn’t. The payments will be $150 a month less than the car, so I will still be ahead.

Last edited:

I have heard stories about it getting harder to have it covered by insurance. At the time of mine almost 15 years ago, I was told it was almost guaranteed that mine would be covered.

I don't understand the reasoning for making it harder. The issue has been proven to cause physical and emotional pain. Dense breast tissue makes it more difficult to detect breast cancer. As I said up thread, if I had the financial resources I would have the surgery again and would have even more taken off since I am now past childbearing age.

It just doesn't strike me as a frivolous type of plastic surgery.

My doctor said that many women would go in for a breast lift and the doctor would reduce a little and label it a reduction. When I told my aunts that, they all admitted that they knew someone that had done it that way. Now insurance requires a certain amount to be taken out. As you get older, your breast tissue becomes more fatty and weigh less so more has to be removed.

OP- I'm glad you are recovering. I had a reduction in 2001 when I was 23 my oldest was about 3. The surgery was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I remember being really tired the first few days and upset that I couldn't drive. I bounced back pretty quickly, probably because of my age. I went from an I to a C and am now a D/DD after 2 more children, 17 years and about 60 pounds (sigh), but things are still where they are supposed to be and my back doesn't kill me on the daily. I f you haven't found it already, I wanted to let you know about an online community that was EXTREMELY helpful in recovery- breasthealthonline dot org I mostly read and learned, but it was nice to know what to expect in all aspects of the process from pre-surgery to healing.

I had to lose some weight before it would approved. I had to have a specific body mass index before the insurance would give in and say, "okay...weight loss didn't work" which is what my surgeon told me anyway. I did have a physical and the surgeon sent all of the measurements to the insurance company. I had to have a certain amount removed for them to cover it too(which was fine because I wanted to small anyway).

My insurance approved it in 10 days and there were no requirements for weight loss, etc. but were strict that it must be done within 6 months. I am 5'2 and had 32/34 H with permanent indentions into the bones of my shoulders and frequent rashes. I have had a history with a neurologist who does nerve block shots into the base of my skull to help with the neck pain (diagnosed occipital neuralgia) as well as meds for migraines (more than 12 per month). My neurologist wrote a recommendation letter to accompany the surgeon's measurements, notes, and photos. MY BMI is not in an unhealthy range so that may be why there was no requirement there? My breasts do not decrease in size when I lose weight.

Now the actual claims for the surgery last Friday etc. haven't officially gone through yet, just the pre-approval. Hopefully, there won't be any nasty surprises now that it's all done!

I have my follow up appointment in an hour. I am really hoping I can get the drains out today. That will be a huge pain gone! Other than those I am doing well. Still using pain meds, but much, much less. Still sleeping in the recliner in the living room but my bed is high and I am short so I don't think I'll be up there for awhile which is fine with me.

Well I had the surgery 2 weeks ago. It has been the most painful thing ever. Apparently the twins did way more damage to my stomach than I knew and one breast wouldn’t stop bleeding. The surgery lasted 5 hours. One week after, my DH had to travel for work and I had to have different family members take turns staying with me. I am finally starting to feel like myself but still am in some pain. Today is probably the first day that I would say that it was worth it. One thing that was true, is that during the recovery my back has not hurt one bit. So after over 15 years of constant pain it is gone.

Glad to hear your recovery is going well and back pain is gone! It is painful and it is a long process. I will be 4 months out on Monday. I am back to regular activities, but my body has been rejecting the dissolvable sutures and pushing them to the surface. The incision under my left breast is still not fully healed because sutures keep spitting out and it's getting really, really old! It's unbelievable the number of sutures they use! No real pain anymore though.

My surgeon opted to not take out the recommended 500 cc's per side and instead chose app. 350-400 so I am not as small as I hoped to be. Fortunately, insurance still paid, but I am irritated she made that choice for me on the table while I was under. She will forgo her fee and redo in a year if I want, but I would still have to pay the anesthesiologist fees and with the suture spitting issues I don't want to go through that again. My headaches and neck pain have been gone up until this last week when I got hit with neck pain at a conference. Wonder if she had taken out the 500 I would be okay? Who knows.

Overall I would do it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter