Anyone hate flying out of MCO?

kandb

DIS Veteran
I don't really hate MCO but I hate having to fly out due to how large the airport is and how long it takes for security. The last few years we have flown out of TPA. We rent a car for one day and pay the $60 and we usually make up the cost due to MCO's flights being higher than TPA. I made reservations for going down and flying into MCO but am waiting on the return. Our trip is in mid/late August. Any other suggestions for airports to fly out of around Orlando? We fly into Newark.

Not sure anyone likes flying out of Orlando. :)

Tampa, Daytona, and...one between mco and Daytona. Can’t recall the name.

But I got nexus ($50 for adults, free for kids, gives you easy access to Canada, global entry, and precheck) so mco isn’t AS bad now.

I can handle the size. SeaTac is big. Heck Newark is big! But mco security is mind boggling.

Not sure anyone likes flying out of Orlando. :)

Tampa, Daytona, and...one between mco and Daytona. Can’t recall the name.

But I got nexus ($50 for adults, free for kids, gives you easy access to Canada, global entry, and precheck) so mco isn’t AS bad now.

I can handle the size. SeaTac is big. Heck Newark is big! But mco security is mind boggling.

Sanford is the one you're missing.

I don't really hate MCO but I hate having to fly out due to how large the airport is and how long it takes for security. The last few years we have flown out of TPA. We rent a car for one day and pay the $60 and we usually make up the cost due to MCO's flights being higher than TPA. I made reservations for going down and flying into MCO but am waiting on the return. Our trip is in mid/late August. Any other suggestions for airports to fly out of around Orlando? We fly into Newark.
I suggest getting TSA Pre-Check. Pre-Check security only takes 2-5 minutes total even at MCO.

Last edited:

I like the awe factor of MCO....you know...he world I am here. I like the monorails they have but it’s been almost 5 years and I still dread the security line! My dh just went to a convention in Orlando and told me all about the line! But he made it thru in 30 min and hat includes returning his rental-he had the even more space seats in jet blue, which we also have for August.

But we fly out of Bradley which is relatively small. I did encounter a long line in January when I took my mom but she was in a w/c so we got to skip it and again in February when I took her and the dodo who was in charge of the line did not send us to the skip the line side as she was in a w/c then too. And we have been flying out of Ft. Myers which is also small.

I recently decided to pay for TSA Pre-Check - specifically because of the number of times I travel to MCO. Security there is just horrible a good part of many days.

PS-I got TSA precheck free last year flying down to MCO, as did my children. I had already booked our return out of TPA and myself and children had free precheck also. My husband almost missed the plane going down to MCO because he did not have tsa precheck. This was out of Newark and he waited over an hour in line for security. It was ridiculous. We fly JetBlue. Maybe I will be lucky again and get it for free.

How much is it for adult and children? What age do they consider a child?
$85 for 5 years.
Children are included with a paying adult up till they turn 13 (so through their 12th birthday)
Many credit cards or airline miles include it as a bonus. Mine is covered by Southwest, though I'd already paid for it about a year before I joined Southwest

$85 for 5 years.
Children are included with a paying adult up till they turn 13 (so through their 12th birthday)
Many credit cards or airline miles include it as a bonus. Mine is covered by Southwest, though I'd already paid for it about a year before I joined Southwest

I have the Southwest credit card and didn’t see it listed as a benefit. Which card do you have that included pre check?

I fly out of LGA to MCO.
Orlando is like a huge meandering garden party in contrast, LOL.
Wish I still lived on the west side of Manhattan and then Newark would be easier to access but I don't so I'll just suffer through the realities of what I won't do for love;).

Thanks. That’s what I have too. Guess I need to looking into that more!
Pretty sure having the card doesn't get you free pre check. I've looked all over the southwest website and can not find any confirmation that it does. You used to be able to pay for pre check with points but I think that's been discontinued.

ETA: here is a list of cards that include free pre check
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/credit-cards-offer

Pretty sure having the card doesn't get you free pre check. I've looked all over the southwest website and can not find any confirmation that it does. You used to be able to pay for pre check with points but I think that's been discontinued.

ETA: here is a list of cards that include free pre check
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/credit-cards-offer
It did once. At least it offered to pay for mine. I got the offer a few months after we'd signed up, naturally. I've had mine years so I don't bother to keep up with who still offers it. I know AmEx did last year but again we had it already so I didn't take them up on it

Besides, at $85 for 5 years I didn't care. It's cheap so I just paid for it

It did once. At least it offered to pay for mine. I got the offer a few months after we'd signed up, naturally. I've had mine years so I don't bother to keep up with who still offers it. I know AmEx did last year but again we had it already so I didn't take them up on it

Besides, at $85 for 5 years I didn't care. It's cheap so I just paid for it
I wish they'd offer it again for free! Maybe it was a special they sent out to certain customers.

Before TSA Precheck, yes.
After TSA Precheck, no.

Agree 100% - at $85 for 5 years even if you fly only once a year its about the cost of seat selections on many airlines!
Its such a timesaver I purchased it for my adult dd's :)

I literally just booked my PreCheck appointment prior to seeing this thread. I also fly out of EWR to MCO yearly. We fly early morning so security isn’t so bad, but MCO..... oh boy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter