Anyone hate flying out of MCO?

You could or you can take the same documents you had to get for the passport and go on and get PreCheck if you want. PreCheck won't take different ones. Just depends on which way you want to do it really.
PreCheck usually goes really fast. Majority of folks get their KTN within about 5 days of completing their appointment. How long it takes to get an appointment varies greatly. Here it's same day. Other places can be a week or more

That is great information. One last question is the 5 years starting the day you get approved? I am curious if I am not using it until October if that means I should wait until closer.

That is great information. One last question is the 5 years starting the day you get approved? I am curious if I am not using it until October if that means I should wait until closer.
Good question. I think it is. I looked mine up on the website and best I can remember the date is the date of my approval.

I actually think MCO is a nice airport. I can find my way around there easily, which is saying something since I can’t find my way out of a wet paper bag. The security lines are definitely the worst, though.

I fly with Spirit (I know, I know...), and this time I got “Shortcut Security” for free at MCO. I am still trying to figure out where this supposed shortcut is.

I don't really hate MCO but I hate having to fly out due to how large the airport is and how long it takes for security. The last few years we have flown out of TPA. We rent a car for one day and pay the $60 and we usually make up the cost due to MCO's flights being higher than TPA. I made reservations for going down and flying into MCO but am waiting on the return. Our trip is in mid/late August. Any other suggestions for airports to fly out of around Orlando? We fly into Newark.

Standing in line at MCO is no different to me than standing in line at Disney. In fact, I find it amusing when people are complaining about it at the airport, but just 24 hours ago, they were probably standing in line for an attraction at one of the parks. The longest I have been in line for TSA at MCO is 40 minutes. What I dislike are people who don't fly often and don't know what to do. Don't know they can't carry certain items on the plane....people not ready to remove their shoes......don't know to place their electronics in a bin. That is something that aggravates me but not enough to go to a different airport. I go to MCO in July and August which is a busy time of year. I am disappointed that my vacation is over, but while in line I start planning in my mind what I didn't get to do this year that I will try again for next year. I get caught up in that daydream and next thing I know a TSA agent is checking my ID and I am on my way to the monorail to get to boarding gate.

I've flown out of MCO at least once a year, typically 2-4 times a year for the last 10 years. In all those flights, I've seen ONE security wait at the checkpoint that Southwest uses that I felt to be excessive (posted at 35 minutes). Fortunately I had TSA pre-check by then. I've typically been through security in 20 minutes or less. I find it to be a relatively logically laid out airport, and while large, a lot less large than some others I've flown through in the last few years (Denver and Atlanta, I'm looking at you). After having it take 45 minutes (and about 45 escalators, plus 2 "trains"), to get to the rental car center (not the car) from the gate, with constant moving forward (carry on luggage only), in Atlanta, MCO is a walk in the park. I guess I've been fortunate with well timed flights/arrivals at security checkpoints?

I did invest in pre-check this fall though, because I've got several flights coming up from big airports (MCO, Miami) and I only see security lines getting longer. It has already paid for itself in my experiences, even at my home tiny airport. But I chose to invest in it because I see myself flying through many large domestic airports in the coming years, not because of a hatred of MCO.

I have PreCheck so don't mind Orlando at all. It's pretty quick with that. One time I timed it from the time I stepped out of the car at departures to the time I stepped off the tram at the gate it was 7 minutes. I only travel with a backpack and make the trip about 6 or 7 times a year.

Pretty sure having the card doesn't get you free pre check. I've looked all over the southwest website and can not find any confirmation that it does. You used to be able to pay for pre check with points but I think that's been discontinued.

ETA: here is a list of cards that include free pre check
https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/credit-cards-offer

Thanks! I had my interview on Monday and got my KTN on Friday. Decided to just bite the bullet and pay for it.

What is TSA? I'm flying for the first time in 20 years and we're flying into MCO. After seeing this thread, I've realized just how different flying is now. I'm trying to learn all about the carry on guidelines, now I need an education on TSA and MCO :rotfl2:!

What do they do at the interview? Just look at your documents? Deciding if we want to do this.
The interview is a very simple process. They will verify your documentation, fingerprint you, and ask you some questions most of which were on the online application. They will also collect your payment. It’s a quick and painless process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter