Anyone in for August? August Trip Report thread.

sweet maxine

DIS Veteran
Since June didn't work out for me, I'm going to give it the old college try, and make it to the Fort in August---in a tent. I don't think the heat/humidity will be overwhelming to me, as I live in a very similar climate in the south---but I am packing a fan. I also found a mallet at Dollar Tree the other day, so I'll have something to get those stakes placed in the pad.

Anyone else at the Fort in August?

I wish I was coming down in August. It would be a month closer to when we are coming down. We have been summer warriors for many years, but I think our summer months of being at the Fort are over, at least for a while. DS graduated this May and the summer heat is too much for DW. I also appreciate the slightly better crowds in September.

Have fun! Depending on when you go, August crowds can be better than June/July. Many schools go back mid-month and the locals think it is still too hot.

j

Last edited:
Have fun! Depending on when you go, August crowds can be better than June/July. Many schools go back mid-month and the locals think it is still too hot.

I'm hoping for a bit of a break in the crowds. Wouldn't that be great!! I'll be going mid-month, so maybe that's a good time to be at the Fort. A little worried about late afternoon Friday check-in, and how busy it could be, but that's unpreventable. The only other option would be early morning Saturday check-in, and maybe that is worse?

Last time we went to the Fort was August 2014 when our daughter was 7 months pregnant. Accommodations were OK as they stayed in a cabin while we stayed in our RV but once outside the temperatures and humidity = 114 every day :faint: Lots of fluids during the day and you'll have that covered at least. Have fun.

I'm hoping for a bit of a break in the crowds. Wouldn't that be great!! I'll be going mid-month, so maybe that's a good time to be at the Fort. A little worried about late afternoon Friday check-in, and how busy it could be, but that's unpreventable. The only other option would be early morning Saturday check-in, and maybe that is worse?

Bless your heart maxine. I would not try to tent camp in August at the Fort.

I think the inventory available will be the same either way Friday night or Saturday morning. They'll give you what is empty/available on Saturday if you arrive before official check-in time. That will end up being what was available if you checked in on Friday night. So I would choose the arrival day that best fits your travel plans.

To me, all things being equal, earlier/sooner is better.

Bama Ed

Bless your heart maxine. I would not try to tent camp in August at the Fort.
Bama Ed

I've camped there the middle of July a few years ago, in a rented pop-up. Is it that much worse than July?

I could possibly wait until October to camp at the Fort, but it takes some doing to get everything arranged. The weather here is hot and humid, I just don't know how much different August could be there. I considered a stay at the All Star resort, but I know that I would miss the boat to the MK, and really, just everything about the Fort.

I am planning on adding about 14 more guyout points on my rainfly, so that should help with ventilation. That's about the best that I can do, under the circumstances. I plan on buying a refillable mug and keeping it filled with tea or whatever is available. There is no other time that I can go until possibly October, so I'll just have to make the best of things.

For me, it comes down to this--- I can be here at home where it is sweltering and humid, or I can be at the Fort where it is sweltering and humid. At least I can have a boat ride to the MK there, right? (I'm telling myself that...)

We are going to try to go in Aug. as well. Super excited but dreading the heat!!
August and July are about the same. Figure upper 90's with high humidity and afternoon rains, at least for a little while. If you are coming from an area with the same weather, you know what to expect. I really try to discourage people from Minnesota or Boston or somewhere "cool" in the Summer that have never experienced Florida type heat AND humidity. They would die. I'm' from St Louis. Our June/July/August are typically worse than Disney World in the summer. It has been 100 the last 2 days here with the same humidity. Hotter than the Fort this week.

j

I have always lived in the South, so I'm well acclimated to that kind of weather. Now, if you put me up in the North, I struggle greatly. My backpacking trips have been all over, especially to areas which can be cold. I'm the one with the double layer of fleece tights and silk pajamas and double layer of wool socks. I don't handle cold well at all! Cold and rainy, like at Denali, now that is a whole 'nother story.

We did the Fort in August in 2016. We were, however, in our TT. Our AC ran virtually non-stop in the TT and because of the humidity, we actually got condensation on the INSIDE of our TT.

Still the weather was what one might expect. I don't know if a "FAN" alone in a tent would be enough for me. Then again, I am from NE PA. It's not the "COOL" area in the summer that Teamubr refers to, but it is cooler (typically) then the Florida area.

Drink lots of water and enjoy. :D

We did the Fort in August in 2016. We were, however, in our TT. Our AC ran virtually non-stop in the TT and because of the humidity, we actually got condensation on the INSIDE of our TT.

Still the weather was what one might expect. I don't know if a "FAN" alone in a tent would be enough for me. Then again, I am from NE PA. It's not the "COOL" area in the summer that Teamubr refers to, but it is cooler (typically) then the Florida area.

Drink lots of water and enjoy. :D

Man if you find that Cool area Teamubr is referring to, let me know. I was sweating it out faster than I could put it in today, and tomorrow is supposed to be worse. :faint:

Man if you find that Cool area Teamubr is referring to, let me know. I was sweating it out faster than I could put it in today, and tomorrow is supposed to be worse. :faint:
I found it... It's in my Recliner in the Air Conditioned room.

I have some outside work which involves "Digging" (going to re-pour some concrete but it's over a sewer pipe. Want to make sure it's okay before I cover it with a concrete pad. PLUS, I want to put in a "Tap" to it so that I can better drain my tanks on the TT).

I have been procrastinating the "Dig" until I can get a bit cooler time to do it. At least a bit less humid.

Man if you find that Cool area Teamubr is referring to, let me know.
103 here in St Louis yesterday. 3rd day in a row over 100 with the same Florida humidity. (And people think WDW is hot in the summer). We are heading to Indiana Dunes SP on the south shore of Lake Michigan this weekend. That's "cooler". Only going to be low 80s way up there.

j

August and July are about the same. Figure upper 90's with high humidity and afternoon rains, at least for a little while. If you are coming from an area with the same weather, you know what to expect. I really try to discourage people from Minnesota or Boston or somewhere "cool" in the Summer that have never experienced Florida type heat AND humidity. They would die. I'm' from St Louis. Our June/July/August are typically worse than Disney World in the summer. It has been 100 the last 2 days here with the same humidity. Hotter than the Fort this week.

j

We are from NC and went for a few days before the 4th of July last year and it was fine. We were camping in TN this week and the temps were in the 90s. Luckily we have a TT and plan on running the A.C. I also picked up some fans just in case. We have a premium site. Do you think we will need some sort of net "tent" in case my husband wants to hang outside?

Last edited:
We're having weather here that is almost identical to Orlando weather. I go out in the evenings to take my walk, and imagine myself walking down to the boat dock to watch the Electrical Water Pageant. (Do they still have that now?)

I think my plan is to do a trial run, and have a camp-out in the backyard. I'll pretend I'm at the Fort. I'll get my Disney mug (we have plenty...) and fill it up with tea or soda, then head outside to the tent. I've ordered a CD with the similar music to the Fort---I think I even discovered it while doing a search for Fort music on this board. So, I'll have the background music playing and I'll add some twinkle lights to the tent. I really should do all of this when the folks next door are having a good party. Lots of talking and laughing, just like I'd hear at the Fort. There are golf carts which zip around my neighborhood, so I'll get that extra sound effect too. This needs to happen on a night with some good humidity, maybe even a thunderstorm looming in the distance. I can plug in my fan, settle in for the evening, and just see how it goes. Heck, I might just find that the backyard is a great place for camping! And, I can check to see if my tent is waterproof if said thunderstrom rolls through too!

I would never camp in our tent in August with out a portable AC unit and fans.

The humidity just makes everything feel wet. I do not like sleeping on damp sheets/blanket or putting on new clothes that are damp. I start sweating as soon as I leave our hotel and always change into new clothes when we come back from the parks. The idea of putting on more damp clothes, yuck!

I am glad you are trying it out first to see how it goes. You have a great attitude about the realities of camping in August, I hope you have a great time.

We just booked ours for late August (no Happily Ever After Fireworks?)!

I guess they're getting ready for MNSSHP, they stop on Sunday, Aug 20th and start up again on September 2nd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!