anyone on this board affected by the new resort dog policy?

disneyholic family

disney on my mind....
i know that there are many brits who will be staying at the four resorts in the next few months (especially POR and YC) who booked their packages over a year ago, long before the dog policy was put in place.

have any of you tried to get a change to your package as a result of this new policy?

i know i would be livid if we were scheduled to stay there without having had any warning...

and no, i'm not a dog hater.....(we're proud owners of rescue dogs)..

I too am a dog lover and owner, even if logistics allowed he would not be going. No way would I leave him in a room for 7 hours so I would never even consider it.
What would make me livid is a poor dog cooped up for all that time, how miserable for them!
I think it's too early to say how this will pan out but I'm guessing it will be the smaller dogs that will experience Disney.
I have to say I have more concerns about the service dog issue. Not talking about a true, trained animal but the fact that people appear to be able to manipulate the system.
In July we had a service dog in the next villa at SS, he barked a lot and didn't seem to get out much.
In MK we saw 2 women who had 5 dogs between them monopolise a photo pass photographer for about 45 mins whilst the posed with the dogs, one of which thankfully refused to wear the Mickey ears provided for him!
We were with our American friends at the time and they were very cross!
The creme de la creme however had to be the 'service/emotional support animals we saw in AK one day.
I Kidd you not, a lady had a large, beautiful Great Dane on a short lead and in her other hand was a larger miniature horse!:eek:

I'll let you know if we were effect when we get back in January.

I'm certainly not an animal hater, we always had dogs at home when I was a child and the only reason we don't have one now is because there is no one at home for over 12 hours a day.

Having booked our holiday almost 18 months ago now, if I hear a dog yapping/barking when I'm trying to sleep or we're back at our hotel (The Yacht Club) during the day for some downtime .......... I will be absolutely livid and I will be making an enormous fuss !!

I will also be very very angry/upset if I see any dog "mess" on any of the paths and walkways around the hotel.

IMO I think Disney have dropped a real clanger with this idea ....... I can only see problems and no solutions

I see where you're coming from but in any one of your previous trips at any resort you could have found your self next door to a yapping dog or encountering mess from a service/emotional support dog.
Hopefully it won't be as problematic as people are anticipating and I would hope that a true dog lover would not subject their pet to being shut up for all that time.

someone i know will be at the yacht club in a few weeks...
he booked the trip a year ago..
he called disney to ask to be moved to a different resort..
they're paying a LOT of money to be at the YC and now the conditions have changed from what they'd originally booked...

the offered to move them to a different deluxe for an additional 2,000 pounds!! big of them..

it is a change of conditions....we are not talking about service dogs - and yes i agree that clearly the service dog loophole is being taken advantage of in a big way
we're talking about dogs with or without training...
will they be on short leashes or on those extending kind?
will they be muzzled in public areas?
etc etc.

i posted this on the resorts board, but may as well put it here as well...

a number of years ago we stayed at the portofino at universal and i was shocked to learn they allowed dogs...

when we checked in there was a huge dog in the lobbly with no muzzle and i actually questioned the concierge lounge host regarding the wisdom of that particular dog breed being permitted in the lobby without a muzzle..

well only about 10 minutes passed when the same dog viciously bit the face of an 8 year old boy staying at the hotel...
(what brought it to our attention were the many police and paramedics who swarmed through the lobby)..
admittedly i felt vindicated over my misgivings...

the boy was rushed to the hospital with very serious facial injuries...i assume that many years later he still has the physical and emotional scars...

and i still think it's irresponsible to permit unmuzzled dogs in a hotel...(and i say that as a long time dog owner)...

Luckily the Caribbean Beach isn't one of those resorts. If it was I would've had to request to be in a building where dogs aren't allowed as I'm allergic to them. I'm not a big fan of this trial, and I hope that would be all it is. If Disney police it strictly enough, then perhaps it could work, but the problem is all those people who don't care about the rules.

I see where you're coming from but in any one of your previous trips at any resort you could have found your self next door to a yapping dog or encountering mess from a service/emotional support dog.
Hopefully it won't be as problematic as people are anticipating and I would hope that a true dog lover would not subject their pet to being shut up for all that time.

Hello Diz22 you are quite right I have not been bothered by yapping/barking dogs on any of our numerous previous trips but there is a very big difference in the dogs that Disney are now allowing on property.

Service dogs are very highly trained and that training takes years. Also as they are service dogs they are not left in the hotel rooms for hours on end as they need to work with their owner. They are very used to being in large crowds with all the accidental pushing and bumping with prams and wheelchairs that goes on and the noise that being in a crowd brings. I have seen many service dogs on our visits and I have never seen anyone of them do anything that would make me angry or upset. I think they are fabulous.

The dogs Disney are now allowing on property are just pets and TBH in my opinion if the owner is mad enough to bring their pet to Disney then chances are they will be very spoilt pets who are allowed to get away with anything i.e mess, noise etc etc and they will not be any where nearly as trained as the service dogs.

As I said we will wait and see. I have paid a huge amount of money for this holiday as we are fortunate enough to be staying in The Yacht Club for just over 3 weeks from the start of December to New Year's Day. If a spoilt pooch upsets/annoys me during my holiday you had better believe I will certainly be making my feeling known.

As I said, I see where your coming from. I fully agree there is a vast difference with a highly trained service dog - my point was that people are already bending the rules. We were there for 3 weeks in July and encountered more animals, including a miniature horse, a ferret on a lead and a multi coloured poodle, than I have ever seen before.
I agree about the type of dogs which will probably be resident and I too would also be making myself heard if my stay was impacted in any way.
Your trip sounds wonderful, I love Christmas at WDW - sadly not for us this year.

I just don't like dogs which I know will upset a lot of people but I have a phobia of them. I love the Yacht Club but won't stay there as long as this policy is in place. I've already emailed to ask if there will be specific rooms allocated as pet friendly. They replied by stating that although this is what they would hope to do, during high season they couldn't guarantee that other rooms could be used, therefore guests could find themselves staying in rooms previously occupied by dogs. Not good for severe allergy sufferers.

I am terrified of dogs and we are plagued by a barking dog next door to us at home. I have no desire to listen to one at Disney!! We had a one night stay booked at RPR in June this year and hadnt requested particular room as we were in 2 minds as to whether we would just stay in our Disney room that night anyway.

Would never make the mistake of not avoiding dog friendly rooms ever again. We returned to the room in the evening and there were several dogs barking along the corridor largely due to the racket coming from the room next door to ours. Dog was barking really loudly and there was a Do Not Disturb sign up on the door handle. Phoned reception to complain and they advised security were already dealing with several complaints about it. Went to bar in lobby on my own which I have never done before!! whilst rest of family showered as just couldnt sit in room and listen to it! Things quietened down later and we stayed and have to say we were not disturbed during the night but would never take chance again! Thats aside from the fact that it was cruelty to leave a dog in a hotel room alone when it was clearly so disturbed by it

I just don't like dogs which I know will upset a lot of people but I have a phobia of them. I love the Yacht Club but won't stay there as long as this policy is in place. I've already emailed to ask if there will be specific rooms allocated as pet friendly. They replied by stating that although this is what they would hope to do, during high season they couldn't guarantee that other rooms could be used, therefore guests could find themselves staying in rooms previously occupied by dogs. Not good for severe allergy sufferers.

that's what i figured when i read the disney press release that said they would have separate dedicated rooms in the resorts for dogs.
there's no way they can guarantee that.

DS laughingly said today that anyone who checks into one of the resorts during the next few months who had a reservation from before the change in policy should stage an anaphylactic attack in the lobby to get themselves moved to a different resort.

I’ll be staying at POR in December and I love dogs, but only if they are well behaved. If I end up with an incessantly barking dog next door I will not be at all happy!

Obviously living in England getting my dog over to Orlando would still be rather difficult, but even if it wasn’t I wouldn’t bring her to Disney with me. She’s exceptionally well behaved if I do say so myself, but to think of the long hours I spend in the parks and/or eating out it would be pointless to bring her as she wouldn’t be able to go anywhere with me anyway. Surely if you wanted to spend time with your dog you would go on a more “dog friendly” holiday...?

Becky

Last edited:
When searching for a hotel we totally avoid any that say dog friendly, always have. We don't want to be in a room next/near to a dog or stay in a room where a dog has been if at all possible. I would never harm a dog, had them growing up at home but I don't enjoy being around them, although that can't be the reason, as much as I love my cats I would not want to stay in cat friendly hotel room either if I could avoid.

When searching for a hotel we totally avoid any that say dog friendly, always have. We don't want to be in a room next/near to a dog or stay in a room where a dog has been if at all possible. I would never harm a dog, had them growing up at home but I don't enjoy being around them, although that can't be the reason, as much as I love my cats I would not want to stay in cat friendly hotel room either if I could avoid.

Us too. Disney must have done a great deal of research into this as the trial is for twelve months. Personally I don't understand it but they must feel it's profitable and feel a need be on a par with other chains such as the Four Seasons. Hopefully they will enforce their printed regulations but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

My friend was booked into the Yacht Club, going in a couple of weeks, and she has requested a move due to the dog situation. They've found her a room in the Beach Club for no extra cost, which is where she'd originally wanted to book in the first place but they had no rooms available then! She's keeping her fingers crossed for a balcony now...

My friend was booked into the Yacht Club, going in a couple of weeks, and she has requested a move due to the dog situation. They've found her a room in the Beach Club for no extra cost, which is where she'd originally wanted to book in the first place but they had no rooms available then! She's keeping her fingers crossed for a balcony now...

that's good to hear!! but i guess it's a function of availability.
although i assume she still might be affected by dogs in public areas since the two hotels are attached and share the pool area...

i had an experience in the playground yesterday that made me think of disney..

where we live there is a leash law.....a dog must be on a leash when outside in public areas..

we took our grandson to the big park near us (a central park sort of place) that has a vast array of playground equipment for toddlers and big kids as well...

there was a family there with two dogs, both of which are what most would consider potentially dangerous dogs..
not only were they not muzzled (as the law also requires for dogs of that breed), but they were not on their leashes...
roaming around where there were many many very young children...

i immediately said to DH, this is probably what's going to happen at WDW.....owners who know better than the regulations in place to protect everyone..

They've (Disney) made a profit there then, BC is usually cheaper than YC because of the convention rates at YC.

For a balcony I suggest she makes a request for large balcony only, and no other request.

Just back from AoA we stayed there from 19 Oct to 2 nov. We saw 3 dogs in total in the resort grounds on leads. The policy only changed on 15thso i was surprised to even see any.I'm not getting into a debate about loving or hating dogs. We are not dog owners and was a little concerned just from a point of view of barking in the night but we heard nothing.

BTW I don't know how to delete the ticker ....wishing I was going again next year but prob 3yrs away now!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter