Anyone pay OOP for kids at character buffet?

ReallyFunMom

DIS Veteran
I think I've tried to get actual experiences on this before but didn't come up with anything. I know dinner shows are all in or all out regarding the DDP but I though that, otherwise, you are allowed to pay OOP when desired.

Can I use two TS credits for adults at CP and pay OOP for the kids buffet meal? Anyone else try to do this? Thanks.

The only place I've heard of problems doing this is Chef Mickeys. There have been a number of reports about it. We had to pay OOP for our kids at O'Hanas but by that point we only had 2 credits left... FWIW the buffet meals were about the same for us as the meals in regular restaurants because they don't charge for drinks at the buffets but at the regular restaurants they charge about $2. My kids typically got a kids meal, drink, and kids dessert and it totalled the same as the buffet. So you can always pay for them elsewhere.

YVonne

We'll be having breakfast with friends who have DDE and they were the ones who alerted me that this meal may be a good OOP opportunity since we can take advantage of the discount. Since we'll be doing HDDR later during the week we will be looking to pay OOP for a couple meals.

which restaurants I chose to use my TS credits at and which ones I chose to pay OOP.

Someone posted something recently about Disney changing the way the credits are assigned. I guess they caught on! I called this morning to book some ADR's and the rep told me that each person now has their own room key/card with their name on it. I said, "you mean I have to keep up with five room keys?!?" Has anyone else heard this?

3PRINCESSMOM said:
We'll be having breakfast with friends who have DDE and they were the ones who alerted me that this meal may be a good OOP opportunity since we can take advantage of the discount. Since we'll be doing HDDR later during the week we will be looking to pay OOP for a couple meals.

In the same boat, using a lot of TS credits for HDDR so wanted to stretch out the remaining and also have DDE card for discount on the OOP.

sorul82? said:
Someone posted something recently about Disney changing the way the credits are assigned. I guess they caught on! I called this morning to book some ADR's and the rep told me that each person now has their own room key/card with their name on it. I said, "you mean I have to keep up with five room keys?!?" Has anyone else heard this?

THis has been mentioned several times recently. However everyone has always had there own card that is the key to their room, access to the dining plan, park tickets, and optional charging privalages included. The recent (and I mean within the last few days) reports from people just returned from disney world (again withing the last few days) are people saying it is just how it has always been....everyone has their own card but all credits are pooled. Everyone does need to have their own card because it is their park tickets. This isnt to say things wont be changed BUT this program has been going on for over a year. When I first started checking things out the beginning of april 2005 people were already flaming each other over taking advantage of the loop holes in the system. So they have had 18 months as far as I know of the plan with people doing everything they can to get the most of it....they have long since been aware of all the things people do. They have changed what is allowed with counter services (no desert at breakfast) they have changed what is included for snacks atleast 2x. But they have yet to do anything about how the credits are distributed.

My son turns 10 the week we go on vacation. THe CM at Disney gave me an HONEST option of saying he was 9 and turning 10 on vacation...but we opted to pay the (i think it was nearly 50.00 total) difference and make him 10 yrs old and an adult so we just wouldnt have to worry.

I think its the people trying to get one up on disney at the buffet's or places like ohana...its easy to pass off an 11 yr old or younger as 9 or younger. It sucks, but its true. Boo to those that try it too!

on another note, i will pay OOP for a kids meal if they let me here and htere, my 10 yr old wieghs all of 50lbs and eats like a 4 yr old...nothing. So some of the meals he will share with me or order kids, some he will order reg. dinners.

As far as Disney is concerned, they count the age at check in as the age for the entire trip--so your 9 year old who is turning 10 on the trip can count as 9 for the entire vacation. They do the same thing on the cruise line--price is based on age at the day of boarding.

Yes, if you plan to pay OOP, the best time would be while you are with your friends who have the DDE. However, on the DDE, everything needs to be on one ticket. Thus, your friends would have to pay for the meal and you pay them back. Of course, there is nothing to prevent them from paying for part of the meal in cash and placing part on a credit card (what I'm saying is that you can hand them the cash). The rule on the DDe is that it is good for up to 10 people total, one of whom must be the name on the card.

I have been debating paying OOP (out of pocket for the poster that asked!) at CRT for myself. I post once and someone assumed I was trying to "cheat the system". I'm not. I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way. I don't mind using 2 credits for my DD as it makes sense money wise. But I'd end up cheating myself because I'd have to use an adult TS credit for her later which is fine. Its free dining when we go so I'm just trying to avoid paying OOP for extra meals but since its a mommy/daughter trip I want to do CRT for sure. I'm planning mostly character meals for her. Although we may do one regular meal but I'm going to let her pick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter