Anyone rented a hoyer lift and/or shower chair at Disney World?

Kelilkam30

Earning My Ears
I have so many questions!

I’m having trouble finding information on how to rent a hoyer lift and shower chair. We are still trying to see if a Disney trip would work for one of our family members.

We are also open to renting a house nearby if the Disney resorts cannot accommodate this.

Also, I’m guessing the answer is no, but are there any first aid/rest stations equipped with a hoyer lift? Are the beds/cots at the first aid station adjustable?

Can a customized power chair (longer than usual so legs are extended out) go on any rides? Person cannot be transferred out of chair for rides.

I appreciate any insight!

CARE Medical has closed, but I believe Orlando Medical Rentals offers the same or similar products and services. They aren't noted as a featured vendor, but ask how they coordinate equipment rental at the resorts. I haven't used this vendor but have read some good reviews.

Hopefully someone else can answer your question about a lift at the First Aid locations. I don't recall seeing one, but haven't thought to look for it either.

How much larger is the footprint with the legs extended? It may depend on the set-up of the ride vehicle whether there is more space in front or not.

Enjoy your vacation!

Yes, Orlando Medical Rentals offers Hoyer lifts and shower chairs. It's better that they're not a Featured Provider. Ideally, they can meet the customer not just at the resort, but at their room. That's a bulky piece of equipment to have to move!

Most likely, that power chair won't be able to get on fire vehicles that accept ECVs. SueM in MN would know better.

I have so many questions!

I’m having trouble finding information on how to rent a hoyer lift and shower chair. We are still trying to see if a Disney trip would work for one of our family members.
We rented a shower chair once from Care, but they are no longer in business, as lanejudy mentioned.
I’ve seen the listings for those types of equipment from Orlando Medical Rentals and I’ve heard good things about them.

We are also open to renting a house nearby if the Disney resorts cannot accommodate this.

Also, I’m guessing the answer is no, but are there any first aid/rest stations equipped with a hoyer lift? Are the beds/cots at the first aid station adjustable?
Each park has a First Aid Station; none of them have a hoyer lift. As far as I know, all of them have at least one room with an adjustable height cot.
MK’s First Aid was being renovated recently. We are going in the next few months, so I will be able to check it out and see what they changed.
Can a customized power chair (longer than usual so legs are extended out) go on any rides? Person cannot be transferred out of chair for rides.

I appreciate any insight!
In general, power chair can go on any of the accessible ride cars, BUT the issue for you will be the length. The basic size for wheelchairs is 30 inches wide by 48 inches long.
My daughter goes to WDW with her manual chair. She has a power chair, but we are too afraid of damage by the airline to bring it (it’s a fancy one with recline, tilt, raiding and standing).
Her power chair is not much different size than her manual one, so would fit on most of the wheelchair vehicles.
The total length of her manual chair is 48 inches and there are some vehicles where that is a tight fit.

I thought I had a list of the tight ones. I’ll see if I can find it.

We were just at MK last week. The tables can be adjusted a bit now but seem to start at the same height they were last June. For those that were at MK during the remodel they are the same tables they had at the temporary area. I didn't see any hoyer lifts at any of the 4 land parks. I did notice in Epcot that the lower cots were alot more private then last June. Also AK, Epcot and HS have always seemed to have a lower volume of guests in them.

Our son's chair tilts and is usually at quite a tilt when we are touring Disney. We found that only on Living with the land (Epcot), The Mexican pavilion ride (Epcot), Small World (MK) and Jungle Cruise (MK) could we leave him in his tilted position. Shows were great and had little to no issues. He still eats orally so this trip was more about shows and eating. Disney still has alot to do even when rides are limited.

I'll second the power chair working on accessible ride cars, my dad is 6' 4" and he fits on most of the rides comfortably (again, it will depend how long the footprint is with the tilt, and if they can come off tilt for a while).

As far as a hoyer lift in a hotel room, we have tons of space in the BWV 1 bedroom villa for all of his stuff, and he gets around fairly well in the bathroom and bedroom either with the chair or being hoyered. I don't remember the number but when we were first planning a trip after he was in need of all this equipment we called someone at the hotel and they took a lot of measurements for us to make sure he could safely go (he has a hard time in other hotels), including bed heights, toilet dimensions and space for the hoyer, thresholds and door widths etc. if that's a concern for your family member then it may be worth a call to the hotel if you really want to be on site. He finds the buses are easy for him, even during crowded times it's so much more convenient and quicker for us than driving his van. And another thing to consider regarding being off site is the trek involved to get back for an afternoon break, for both my parents (and even me) a break from the heat is essential. Staying on site can save hours a day and really improve the quality of the trip if it's financially (and equipment needs) possible.

Anyway I'll stop my rambling, I just wanted to share another perspective for you. I honestly don't know that he could go by staying off site, but everyone's needs are different. We are all here for you if you have more questions!

This is the phone number for WDW Special Reservations: 407-939-7807

They can help with specific resort information about individual resorts.

we are renting from ORLANDO MEDICAL RENTALS this is the first time renting from them. We have to bring our own chains for the hoyer lift and our own sling. We have stayed at the all stars boardwalk and Caribbean beach and the hoyers fit fine. Some times we have to move a chair or table but no big deal

CARE Medical has closed, but I believe Orlando Medical Rentals offers the same or similar products and services. They aren't noted as a featured vendor, but ask how they coordinate equipment rental at the resorts. I haven't used this vendor but have read some good reviews.

Hopefully someone else can answer your question about a lift at the First Aid locations. I don't recall seeing one, but haven't thought to look for it either.

How much larger is the footprint with the legs extended? It may depend on the set-up of the ride vehicle whether there is more space in front or not.

Enjoy your vacation!

The chair is about 48inches long, it does fit on a standard van lift. Thank you so much for all of the input, it really helps!

Technically Care medical hasn't closed, it just became Orlando medical rentals.
Its still the same fab company, just bigger.

We've hired a shower chair from them numerous times on our trips. Ive just ordered one from them for August. :)
None of the theme parks have hoists/lifts for the rest rooms or first aid.
Ive considered writing to them recently to ask about this.
Im surprised there isn't something at each park to cater for the disabled. Especially as they are so good in many other ways at catering for the disabled.

Our sons chair is quite long and he also has a recline. we managed ok on the shows and a lot of the boat rides.
He was also fine on some of the other rides-Buzz, little mermaid, Toy story Midway mania.
The jungle cruise is fab too, I didn't realise until our last trip they have a wheelchair accessible boat call Bertha. She's brilliant. :flower1:

Every trip we plan, we expect not to do much. Just focus on the shows, parades and meals. But each time we're surprised at how much he can still do. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!