Anyone up to a menu challenge?

cleo

<font color=blue>Egyptian Beauty Queen<br><font co
My brother is getting married in June. I volunteered to 'cater' his rehersal dinner for apx 25-30 people. Here's where the challenge comes in...

We'll be in Disney up until two days before the wedding. That leaves me an evening and a day to do it all, but I'll have helping hands and I can leave a shopping list so everything's ready when I get there. I'd like to do a meal rather than a buffet, but something that's not too heavy. If a few things can be made ahead of time and frozen, so much the better. I will also have a grill and a crock pot available.

So... a semi-formal meal that can be done in a short amount of time. Anyone up to the challenge? What would you serve?

I have catered a bridal luncheon and rehearsal dinner for family before, it is alot of work but very appreciated.

A menu I have used is:

Chicken Divine
Uncle ben's wild rice
String beans with bacon and almonds
Fruit salad
rolls
Strawberry crepes for dessert

Chicken Divine:

Line bottom of pan with dried beef
Place a deboned-skinned chicken breat that has been wrapped in bacon on top
mix a container of sour cream and a can of cream of mushroom soup and pour over chicken
For 30 chicken breast you will need probably 4-5 makings of sour cream and soup.

Bake for 1 hour with foil over at 350 degrees, remove foil and bake for 30 more minutes.

Fruit Salad:

1 large can peaches
1 large can fruit cocktail
1 jar cherries
2-3 cups of walnuts (these are good soaked in a little apricot brandy)
4-5 bananas
3 cans of peach pie filling
1 bag of frozen or fresh strawberries
1 can of chunk pineapple
any other fresh fruit that looks good (kiwi, grapes)

mix all together and ref. till serving. This can be made early in the day.

Wow, that is quite a challenge! I'm not much of a cook so I can't really help with ideas, but please let us know what you decide to make. Good luck :)

Cleo, I have a great recipe for phyllo triangles that can be made weeks ahead of time and then frozen. Pop them in the oven with butter and they are a great hor d'oeuvre.

Mesclun salad with dijon mustard dressing (easy to make)

Fillet mignon grilled (whole)

Shrimp wrapped in prosciutto, grilled

cous cous salad - served at room temp

asparagus dressed with olive oil and parmesian cheese

green beans, almondine

fresh fruit salad

ice cream

and another dessert - gotta think on it

Fairly easy, simple food that is elegant to boot.

Recipe goldmine has menus for a crowd:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/crowd/crowd.html

Maybe the beef tips or swiss steak as an entree? Or pasta for those who don't want beef? Pasta would be easy in big batches. A big roast beef is not too time consuming, only oven time.

I don't have any great appetizer recipes so I'll let someone else answer that one.

Off to salad... Caesar is easy. Another one of my favorites is a spinach salad with red onion, mandarin oranges, toasted pecans and bleu cheese crumbles. I use either a citrus or rasberry vinagrette. Both and can be mixed right before serving and put on individual plates.

Maybe a couple of cheesecakes for dessert?

Please let us know what you are serving. You are very brave!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter