Anyone use cross body purses or backpacks when going ashore for sightseeing?

happytime

Mouseketeer
I'm getting ready for traveling both abroad and out of either Port Canaveral, Miami, or Galveston (still looking the choices) and wanted to know if anyone uses the cross body purses or messenger bags for walking around.

Does anyone use travel waist bags any longer?

How about backpacks with the strings?

Which of these are easier to get into when making purchases and to carry around with purchases?

I'm not really wanting to take a ginormous purse or tote on shore, if I can avoid it. lol (even if am a woman and like to shop!!)

Thank you.

I take a small purse that I wear across the body. I have a number of them. If going abroad to a place that has a high pickpocket rating, you can even purchase ones that have a cable running through the strap. That is a favorite in Barcelona. They cut your strap and grab the purse. I don't bother with that. I don't take credit cards or large amounts of cash in my purse. Mainly just sunglasses, lotion, ibuprofen, lip gloss, etc. DH usually puts one credit card in his front pocket along with copies of our passports. We have two Chase VISA accounts. We take one card out with us and leave the other back in the safe. DH sometimes wears cargo shorts and has pockets that he allows me to put things in. Then I don't carry a purse at all. On cruises and overseas I rarely carry my phone. Doesn't work anyway, just a camera.

I take a small purse that I wear across the body. I have a number of them. If going abroad to a place that has a high pickpocket rating, you can even purchase ones that have a cable running through the strap. That is a favorite in Barcelona. They cut your strap and grab the purse. I don't bother with that. I don't take credit cards or large amounts of cash in my purse. Mainly just sunglasses, lotion, ibuprofen, lip gloss, etc. DH usually puts one credit card in his front pocket along with copies of our passports. We have two Chase VISA accounts. We take one card out with us and leave the other back in the safe. DH sometimes wears cargo shorts and has pockets that he allows me to put things in. Then I don't carry a purse at all. On cruises and overseas I rarely carry my phone. Doesn't work anyway, just a camera.

Wowsers!! Great advice and thanks for sharing. We are actually booked on the transatlantic next fall, thus some of my questions.

I use cross body purses and messenger bags no problem. I've been all over and have never had problems or been a victim of theft over my bag choice. Just spent 3 days in Barcelona with a small crossbody backpack and never once had someone get close enough to cut and grab. Honestly if you are letting someone get into your personal space to dona slash and grab then you aren't being aware enough.

I use cross body purses and messenger bags no problem. I've been all over and have never had problems or been a victim of theft over my bag choice. Just spent 3 days in Barcelona with a small crossbody backpack and never once had someone get close enough to cut and grab. Honestly if you are letting someone get into your personal space to dona slash and grab then you aren't being aware enough.

Haven't been to Barcelona but at least in Rome, there were a few incidences in which it was impossible to avoid people in my personal space, mostly on transit. I'm generally less worried about slash and grab than pickpockets. But I do agree that a lot of its vigilance rather than what you wear.

I wouldn't do a backpack- too easy for someone to rifle through. I like a crossbody- easy to keep one hand on it in crowds and if you sit down, it stays on your body rather than setting it on the bench next to you. A few times in bars I've needed to extend the strap far enough so that it can go around my waist and the bag can hang between my legs. The people I've met who've had stuff stolen- it's mostly been inattention. They put their camera down next to them and were on their phone or they hung their purse on the back of chair, that sort of thing.

I don't see many people wearing waist packs...but if you like those, wear it. A purse makes you blend in somewhat more but I don't think any tourist looks like a local so it doesn't matter. Wear whatever you find most comfortable.

Haven't been to Barcelona but at least in Rome, there were a few incidences in which it was impossible to avoid people in my personal space, mostly on transit. I'm generally less worried about slash and grab than pickpockets. But I do agree that a lot of its vigilance rather than what you wear.

I wouldn't do a backpack- too easy for someone to rifle through. I like a crossbody- easy to keep one hand on it in crowds and if you sit down, it stays on your body rather than setting it on the bench next to you. A few times in bars I've needed to extend the strap far enough so that it can go around my waist and the bag can hang between my legs. The people I've met who've had stuff stolen- it's mostly been inattention. They put their camera down next to them and were on their phone or they hung their purse on the back of chair, that sort of thing.

I don't see many people wearing waist packs...but if you like those, wear it. A purse makes you blend in somewhat more but I don't think any tourist looks like a local so it doesn't matter. Wear whatever you find most comfortable.

Didn't get to spend time in Rome (flew out of the airport so that's the most I saw) but did here the Vatican can get like that. Still I live in a big city and even when it is jammed pack it would take the thief a lot of work in a crowd to slash and grab. I'm sure it happens but again it isn't usually someone who is vigilant. In crowded areas I pull the bag tight so I'd know if anyone is trying to unzip it (of course I'm hyper aware of anyone near or touching me) and I keep on hand on the strap just in case. Theifs are going to go for the easy targets and it is much bigger then choice of bag. Leave your bag on the floor or back of chair and sure it might walk off but on your body is much less common. What we saw that was more common was people takig out all their cash when giving to beggars and having them grab the handful.

Didn't get to spend time in Rome (flew out of the airport so that's the most I saw) but did here the Vatican can get like that. Still I live in a big city and even when it is jammed pack it would take the thief a lot of work in a crowd to slash and grab. I'm sure it happens but again it isn't usually someone who is vigilant. In crowded areas I pull the bag tight so I'd know if anyone is trying to unzip it (of course I'm hyper aware of anyone near or touching me) and I keep on hand on the strap just in case. Theifs are going to go for the easy targets and it is much bigger then choice of bag. Leave your bag on the floor or back of chair and sure it might walk off but on your body is much less common. What we saw that was more common was people takig out all their cash when giving to beggars and having them grab the handful.

Like I said, it is about vigilance. But I would worry less about slash and grab and more about someone sneaking their hand into your handbag, which which is easier to do if you have a large purse or backpack, and harder to do if it's a small crossbody. I wore a money belt in Rome just because it was nice to not to have to keep my hand on my purse the whole time. You can be as hyper aware as you want but if you're on a bus packed cheek to cheek, you're not going to be able to watch everyone in reaching distance.

As for the other...well, can't fix stupid. Their first mistake was giving money to the beggars...

I use a Kavu cross body. It's very comfortable and is easy to rotate around to either access the contents or to keep a close hold when needed. I like the thicker strap and comfort.

I used a small Dourney & Bourke cross body bag on our Disney cruise last month to the Baltic that I really liked. It's pretty small, but held a coin purse that I kept some cash and credit cards in, my phone (that I take photos with), chap stick, and a few other small items. It was very convenient and I found it easy to access and get things in and out of while we were in each port. I liked using the cross body bag, and being hands free, so much that I still use it now that we're home. :)

I'm a cross body gal. At home, when I travel, everywhere. I just feel they are more secure. Pacsafe make bags with a wire in the strap that a PP mentioned. They also have a clip mechanism for the zippers that makes it much more difficult for someone to open your bag without you realizing it and RFID blocking pockets for credit cards and passports. Magellan's has their own line of travel bags as well that I believe have a lot of the same features.

I'm a cross body gal. At home, when I travel, everywhere. I just feel they are more secure. Pacsafe make bags with a wire in the strap that a PP mentioned. They also have a clip mechanism for the zippers that makes it much more difficult for someone to open your bag without you realizing it and RFID blocking pockets for credit cards and passports. Magellan's has their own line of travel bags as well that I believe have a lot of the same features.

I really loved the pacsafe closure clips but hated the weight of the purse and the way the straps dug into my shoulder. I also wasn't impressed with the way the fabric wore. My le sportsac has been through a lot more and looks a lot better.

And I also realized that if someone sines after me with a knife, I'll hand over my bag before making them cut it off me.

If you worry enough to carry a pacsafe, you're honestly better off putting your passport and cards into rfid envelops and then wearing a money belt.

I am a huge fan of Baggalini bags. They are lightweight cross body bags with tons of pockets. You can get them at TJ Max or Marshalls for much less. I have a regular purse that I bring on vacation and a smaller one that I pack with the things I need for the day and I wear that when we are sightseeing. I'm also a huge fan of backpacks. I use small purse backpacks because they free up both hands.

I have a cross body bag with the cable running through the strap and it also has slash resistant fabric, RFID pocket and zippers that lock. I plan on bringing it on my Adventures By Disney river cruise down the Danube next month and then again in August in Portugal and Spain. It will hold my small wallet, guide book, SLR camera and a few other things. I like cross body bags as it frees up my hands and bag is towards my front instead of my back.

MJ

Try a Sash bag - they are awesome - you can fit lots they are close to the body and because of the design it feels like no weight on you unlike other cross body bags
I love mine !!

Pick-pocketing is an art form over there - you don't even realize you've been robbed until you're miles away. When I was in high school, we went with the school group to Italy and a former NYPD cop was a victim of the slash and dash. Her only saving grace was the fact that she put an umbrella in the bottom of her purse and so nothing was able to fall out when they slashed the bottom of it. I guess that's a good idea to do then!

I constantly use a crossbody bag, even when I'm home. When I'm home, it's not for worry of people pick-pocketing me, it's more a convenience thing so my arms are free and a purse isn't constantly slipping off my shoulder. That being said, I'm bringing my crossbody with me on my cruise this week and also a backpack. Neither are the fancy anti-theft ones, just regular bags, but I'm just paranoid enough that my hand is always on them so I'll know if someone is touching them who shouldn't be.

I have a cross body bag with the cable running through the strap and it also has slash resistant fabric, RFID pocket and zippers that lock. I plan on bringing it on my Adventures By Disney river cruise down the Danube next month and then again in August in Portugal and Spain. It will hold my small wallet, guide book, SLR camera and a few other things. I like cross body bags as it frees up my hands and bag is towards my front instead of my back.

MJ

Are you using this bag on the plane as your personal item? Do you have a picture/model of this bag? We are heading to Barcelona for the WBTA in September, and I saw a PacSafe bag that would fit my dSLR camera with an attached lens and a spare lens along with some other essentials, but I think the size of it would qualify it for the carry-on and not personal item. I have a crossbody bag for my dSLR right now that looks like a purse, and I also have a much smaller camera that I could take instead. I don't want to be carrying a huge bag around the city.

For my trips into NYC, I carry a normal small crossbody bag; but I am also not taking photos and bringing my camera with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter