Anyone worried about their upcoming trip due to possible war?

You might as well stay in your basement and barricade the door. United States doesn't have a monopoly on crazy people randomly killing innocent people. Some folks in Edmonton going to a football game sure were not planning on being run down by a U-Haul van in the name of a religion. Going to a concert here or in Europe being blown up or shot at. If your time has come, your time has come, there is no way to prevent being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Yeah thanks.. but until you've laid on your children to protect them from bullets in an American airport like I did in January, I don't expect you to share my perspective.
Again, I said very clearly that I believe in rationally evaluating the situation. And given what we experienced and my children are still healing from, I am choosing very rationally to not continue to to travel to the U.S at this time. I took them back to the U.S after it happened, and took them to the same airport they experienced the event in. We sat on the very benches that we threw them under while people screamed and stampeded all around them. I showed them it was safe now so they could begin to heal. We take acceptable risks. I'm not comfortable with the current climate int States and we're taking a break.
If you'd care to read about the situation I am referring to, and the complete systemic breakdown that occurred that day you *might* begin to understand my perspective. However your suggestion that my carefully considered and rationale plan for MY family is akin to begin a shut in, is dismissive, and completely wrong.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fo...fl-airport-chaos-response-20170320-story.html

With the outbreaks of violence happening almost everywhere (not just the States), yes, I do worry about travelling as well.

That doesn't mean we stay home. I took my son to California late January. My daughter went on her school trip to Europe in April. We're going on a cruise next year with my dad & friends of ours while our daughter stays with other family/friends. (Only because she does not want to go on the cruise).

Unfortunately, things can, do and are happening more these days it seems, so yes, there is NOTHING wrong with worrying.

I totally agree. If I had I said I was worried about possibly being in an airport shooting before our trip in January on here I'm sure lots of people would have rolled their eyes at me too. Guess what.. I was.. and the only positive to come from that is that when people run their mouth about how other people should feel and roll their eyes at someone's safety concerns , I dismiss them right away.
Do I think everyone should be quaking in fear? No. But I will NEVER make someone feel small or stupid for taking their safety seriously. TBH.. I am not comfortable in the United States right now. We went back twice after the Fort Lauderdale incident and we spent an awful lot of time looking over our shoulder. We are walking through metal detectors to get into theme parks.Announcements telling you if you "See something, Say something" are running in movie theatres. Other people can normalize that. I can't.
I couldn't agree more Pigeltto, we are going to Kissimmee in 2 weeks for a short 6 days, and I can't tell you how many times I want to press the cancel button......I up really not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to live in fear, but I also don't want to be in a crossfire. I am sick....

We flew to Hawaii 3 weeks after 9-11 with the mentality that "if it's our time, then so be it". It was a little harrowing when the auto-pilot failed over Las Vegas and we had to divert to Vancouver for Air Canada to service the plane (apparently you cannot fly over open water without auto-pilot) but with all of the increased security in the airport and ports when we went on our cruise, we personally did not feel safer.

Regardless, this is a personal decision that one has to make for themself and not have made for them.

** EDIT - I should have said we could not have felt safer. Security was spot on!

Last edited:
I was away with DD last week and really didn't have access to news. What all was said at the meetings?

Us as well, to a degree. Definitely not to the extreme of completely avoiding the US. We live on a border town, and for starters our dentist is in the US, and the golf course and ski hill that we love is also just across the border, only 15 minutes away. We'll probably do some light traveling in the bordering states even. That said, we live in a very small, northern rural area, which quite honestly, is quite removed from the political/social/racial unrest that is taking over the southern US these days.

What we will be doing however, is avoiding any travel to major US cities, tourist destinations etc... until stuff settles down. Which means our Disney trip for next summer is off. We drive, and DH just is not comfortable driving 5000 km through areas that are increasingly conflicted. We saw some of the extremist mentality when we went in '05 that left us feeling a bit uneasy. Things definitely haven't gotten better since.
You cant have it one way without the other. Either you boycott or not. Not because you loose convenience. I don't see the correlation. There are great ski hill is Canada, and the East. Just need to drive. I am sure there are a few other dentists.
You cant dip your toes in the water and say you wont get wet.
And as far as driving through conflict areas, this isn't Iraq or the Middle East.
Don't stop living.

You cant have it one way without the other. Either you boycott or not. Not because you loose convenience. I don't see the correlation.
100% agree! Our moratorium is in effect and it is hard. Hubby re-sourced some teaching material to a company in Canada, the books cost more and take longer to get here but we've swallowed the difference. I have a friend from CA who spent the last 2 weeks driving thru the eastern states to see some colours (bad year to choose, the leaves are so far behind) and she was within a 4 hour drive. I would have LOVED to go see her but didn't. I really really REALLY want some of the EPCOT anniversary items but I won't be getting any. This has nothing to do with the subject of this thread (even though I am stupidly scared !!!) but just feel strongly that the only way we can show our displeasure with some of the current policies is with our $$$.

OFF TOPIC, i was really surprised to see how inexpensive a trip to see Donald in Paris would be :rolleyes1

You cant have it one way without the other. Either you boycott or not. Not because you loose convenience. I don't see the correlation. There are great ski hill is Canada, and the East. Just need to drive. I am sure there are a few other dentists.
You cant dip your toes in the water and say you wont get wet.
And as far as driving through conflict areas, this isn't Iraq or the Middle East.
Don't stop living.

I never once said we're boycotting the US, especially financially. All I meant was we are restricting travel. Which clearly was miscommunicated.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more Pigeltto, we are going to Kissimmee in 2 weeks for a short 6 days, and I can't tell you how many times I want to press the cancel button......I up really not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to live in fear, but I also don't want to be in a crossfire. I am sick....
I'm sorry GreenClan, I know how much your family loves their trips and this must be hard for you.
You have to do what you feel comfortable and safe with. Statistically it is highly unlikely that you would be involved in anything like what happened in Fort Lauderdale. I completely expect that you will have an uneventful and fantastic time.
While incidents like we experienced are increasing, they are still statistically rare when compared with the millions of people who fly every day without incident.
I get your fear though, and I feel like I can't "un-know" what I know now. I just see it differently than I did. Out of the 13 people that were with me that day, nobody has stopped travelling but all have decided that only necessary travel to the U.S. And these are world travellers. It's just not something I want to be reminded of every time I go on vacation and the current political climate is something I absolutely will not support. That's an opinion that's evolved over the months. We're going to spend some time exploring this great country we live in. My son has never been in another province and we are going to see three more this summer!

Oddly enough I just half jokingly said to my DD last night “if this trip gets ruined for us because of these two individuals I’m going to less than pleased” (italics indicate other words may have been used :)).

Not out of fear, I don’t fear things I cannot control - I’m a deal with the situation as it comes kind of person. My grandmother always told me “don’t borrow trouble” growing up and it’s stuck with me.

I’m more bothered by the possibility of a travel ban or something of that nature.

But like I said, not something I can control - we’ll deal with it if need be.

I also think I’ll give my visits to the US a break for a bit. It’s time to rediscover my home and native land.

I too am like Mickey's Best Girl but I'll still be going to Fort Wilderness in April as planned. As I said, if we did OK 3 weeks after 9-11 going from Toronto to Hawaii, then I'm OK with going to Florida. Hopefully their country's unrest will settle down in 2018 or sooner.

Just back from a week at Universal and WDW. When I got home and saw the headline of this thread I was shocked. We watched tv a bit while in the States and there was no mention of anything out of the ordinary going on. We drove around in Orlando a bit and didn't see anything too out of the ordinary (it was Halloween season afterall). Bottom line we felt quite safe in Orlando.

I just booked a trip for May 2018. It's the trip to take the boys (every 5 years) so I can't postpone that one. We're already a year behind (DS was writing his CPA exams this year). After that if we go to the States it will likely just be the northeastern border states that we can drive to for quick visits. Like others we plan on touring our own country for a change of pace for a while.

Just back from a week at Universal and WDW. When I got home and saw the headline of this thread I was shocked. We watched tv a bit while in the States and there was no mention of anything out of the ordinary going on. We drove around in Orlando a bit and didn't see anything too out of the ordinary (it was Halloween season afterall). Bottom line we felt quite safe in Orlando.

We are Canadians living in the USA (since early this year). One thing we have really, REALLY noticed is that the Canadian media likes to sensationalize and over-hype anything that occurs over the border. Fear and panic keep many people tuning in for the next newscast, or buying tomorrow's newspaper.

I am in no way trying to minimize the horror that occurred in Las Vegas or any other attack (terror related or otherwise). I am also not belittling or criticizing anyone's personal fears. But the reality is, we all have as much of a chance of getting hit by lightening as dying in one of those random acts of evil ..... and most of us don't hide under the bed during a rainstorm.

Just remember that the media (social and mainstream) all have a very specific agenda. Most of my friends back home think we're living in the midst of some sort of social chaos, but that couldn't be further from the truth. We leave in five days for our next trip to Orlando, and we are not concerned about war, terror attacks, or any other dangerous event in the slightest. I'm more worried that we're going to get rain on our MNSSHP day :umbrella:.

We are Canadians living in the USA (since early this year). One thing we have really, REALLY noticed is that the Canadian media likes to sensationalize and over-hype anything that occurs over the border. Fear and panic keep many people tuning in for the next newscast, or buying tomorrow's newspaper.

I am in no way trying to minimize the horror that occurred in Las Vegas or any other attack (terror related or otherwise). I am also not belittling or criticizing anyone's personal fears. But the reality is, we all have as much of a chance of getting hit by lightening as dying in one of those random acts of evil ..... and most of us don't hide under the bed during a rainstorm.

Just remember that the media (social and mainstream) all have a very specific agenda. Most of my friends back home think we're living in the midst of some sort of social chaos, but that couldn't be further from the truth. We leave in five days for our next trip to Orlando, and we are not concerned about war, terror attacks, or any other dangerous event in the slightest. I'm more worried that we're going to get rain on our MNSSHP day :umbrella:.
I imagine most Canadians are getting their American news from CNN, not Canadian sources. LOL. Not saying CNN doesn't have their own agenda, love fearmongering etc., just saying it is not Canadian news sources who are hyping up these situations.

We have made a family decision to completely avoid any US travel for the foreseeable future. War is one of the reasons, civil unrest is another, a personal choice not to spend money in the US is also part of it.

That's as far as I'll go as I can't get into politics here
Us too. I’ve rented our DVC points for all of 2017-2018 & will continue to do so.

We’re spending a fortune to go to Europe next summer, but my money will not be spent in the US for the foreseeable future.

We are very close to the border & friends & family thought I was not serious. I am.

100% agree! Our moratorium is in effect and it is hard. Hubby re-sourced some teaching material to a company in Canada, the books cost more and take longer to get here but we've swallowed the difference. I have a friend from CA who spent the last 2 weeks driving thru the eastern states to see some colours (bad year to choose, the leaves are so far behind) and she was within a 4 hour drive. I would have LOVED to go see her but didn't. I really really REALLY want some of the EPCOT anniversary items but I won't be getting any. This has nothing to do with the subject of this thread (even though I am stupidly scared !!!) but just feel strongly that the only way we can show our displeasure with some of the current policies is with our $$$.

OFF TOPIC, i was really surprised to see how inexpensive a trip to see Donald in Paris would be :rolleyes1
Our Europe trip next year includes b2b DCL & DLParis, because 4-8 years is a long time!

Yeah thanks.. but until you've laid on your children to protect them from bullets in an American airport like I did in January, I don't expect you to share my perspective.
Again, I said very clearly that I believe in rationally evaluating the situation. And given what we experienced and my children are still healing from, I am choosing very rationally to not continue to to travel to the U.S at this time. I took them back to the U.S after it happened, and took them to the same airport they experienced the event in. We sat on the very benches that we threw them under while people screamed and stampeded all around them. I showed them it was safe now so they could begin to heal. We take acceptable risks. I'm not comfortable with the current climate int States and we're taking a break.
If you'd care to read about the situation I am referring to, and the complete systemic breakdown that occurred that day you *might* begin to understand my perspective. However your suggestion that my carefully considered and rationale plan for MY family is akin to begin a shut in, is dismissive, and completely wrong.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fo...fl-airport-chaos-response-20170320-story.html
This must have been horrifying for you. Since my mom lives in Broward County, I always fly into FLL first before WDW. And use Alaska Airlines. We fly into FLL at least once a year. I have no choice.
Flying is no longer the carefree experience it used to be for me. I find myself looking at all the passengers while I’m sitting at the gate waiting. And aware of my surroundings at the airport. It hasn’t stopped me from traveling, but there is a certain unease now. But some crazy person could attack anywhere, not just while I’m traveling, but at home. Recent event in Edmonton.

Not to discourage you, but there have been several attacks in Paris so I don’t really think it is any safer there.

I imagine most Canadians are getting their American news from CNN, not Canadian sources. LOL. Not saying CNN doesn't have their own agenda, love fearmongering etc., just saying it is not Canadian news sources who are hyping up these situations.

As a Canadian living in Canada, most of the people I knew (myself included) got their news from CTV, CBC or Global affiliates.

I certainly didn't say that Canadian new outlets were alone in their efforts to sensationalize. Many American stations are equally as guilty (CNN chief among them). But, those stations are geared toward delivering news to the American public, and its not the fears of the American public that were being discussed on this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter